Padre Island or other fall/winter opitons - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 08:41 AM

Question Padre Island or other fall/winter opitons

Anyone fished Laguna Madre/Padre Island in TX for Reds in November/December? A friend and I are looking to do a fishing
week in that time frame and this seems to be one of the better
options for SWFF without breaking the bank. Can anyone share insights on how the the fishing is that time of year, average size of fish, etc.

Any other suggestions on good fall destinations would be appreciated as well. We are also considering Florida, Louisiana
and North Carolina.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 12:23 PM

December in Florida

December in southwest Florida can be very good if (like anywhere) the weather cooperates. I'm admittadly biased, since I guide the Gulf Coast, but we have very good snook fishing in the canals and backcountry. Especially a spot I know near Naples that is a wintertime magnet for snook, baby tarpon and enormous Oscars. They're all basking over the black, warm muck!

You should find plenty of other fish, too. Reds, maybe some Spanish or even cobia (they're around right now!).

Lots of places around Sarasota where you can wade on your own. Kyaks are real popular, also.

Bring an 8wt, floating line, fluoro leaders (winter tides are the lowest), and a variety of Clouser-style flies in #2 and #4. Use #4 and #6 for snook under the lights around docks. Little glass minnow patterns work great for that.

AirTran flies into Ft. Myers, and always has very low fares.

Tight Loops,
Capt. Tony
Old 11-06-2003, 06:50 PM

South Padre

I make several trips to South Padre during the year, but I often stop come november. I have heard that november can still be good but you are more likely to get blown out by the weather. After that it is downhill for quite some time. Although, there have been several articles on redfishing during the winter I just don't buy it. I have not had much success during that time of the year. SOme guides probably know where the fish are year round, but if you are going to make a trip to the Texas coast go in the fall when the fishing is phenomenal. If you go in the late summer, early fall you can expect to find lots of fish from the jetties, including tarpon if you are lucky and tons of redfish. Go to the backwaterhawgs.com websiteb if you are interested in info regarding texas coast fishing. I have some pictures posted on my last outing to Port o'connor. JW

Last edited by Dble Haul; 11-06-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.