Line Guides - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Marine Scientist

Line Guides

Okay, one last question...
Does anyone think that there are obvious or definite benefits to using TiCH guides vs. the "standard" chrome-plated stainless steel guides? I'm interested in whether or not I'll really see any difference in performance or use over the life of the rod. I've been using TiCH and REC guides up until now, but I'm beginning to wonder if all of the hype about the extra durability and slickness of the expensive guides really means anything in the real world. Thanks again, guys, I appreciate it...

And by the way, what are the thoughts on REC guides? Yes, they feel a lot lighter, but look so much cheaper than traditional guides.

Last edited by flyfisha1; 10-27-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 11:09 PM
any fish, any time

I'm not a big fan of bells and whistles, but I do believe that TiCh guides are slicker. No evidence, just feel. I only use them on my salt and steelhead rods
Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Pullin' Thread

My 13 ft GLX has TiCH single foot guides on it, it is the only rod I have that has them. I like the guides a lot; however, the rest of my rods have chromed snake guides and I have not noticed any real world difference in shootability between my GLX wit the TiCH guides and my other rods with the chrome snakes.

That said, if I were building a rod from a top quality blank, I would use the TiCH guides and make sure they were slighly oversized for the line weight rod I was building for best shootability. The TiCH guides look nicer to me on a rod because of the darker coloration compared to chrome, and I know that they are a lot harder, which should make them nearly groove proof.

The only complaint I have about the TiCH guides on my 13 ft GLX is they are one size too small for best casting with the long-belly spey lines, which causes the line to be held too tightly against the rod blank when trying to shoot some of the belly. This is a common problem on factory 2-handers and is found in single-handers too unless they are sold as saltwater rods.

The Titanium Oxide guides are also harder than the chrome guides while being lower cost than the TiCH. They are a very pretty dark gold (what I would call old gold) in color.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:33 AM

Hey Chris,

All good advise...

One other thought would be to check out "Snake Brand" guides.

Each guide is a fine tooled little gem...Hard to explain unless you see these guides close-up....They have a site.

No burrs, no prep, legs are always exactly the same length, and milled off.

About the same price as the H&H or RECs

For the spey rod I usually go: Strippers ~ 16 12 ~ snakes ~ 6 5 then size 4 for the balance....Sometimes 3 for the last couple if a fine tipped rod.

Meiz
Old 10-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Pullin' Thread

Meiz,

I sure wish alll rod makers used these size guides on their 2-handers since they prevent the line from being pinched against the blank.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Marine Scientist

Meiz...

... mind if I give you a call and chat about this project? I was advised by a guy at Hunter's that you were a good resource.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:44 PM

Ya Betcha Chris...

Best to call my AM...Oregon

1-541-770-9522

Meiz
Old 11-21-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
I use only ringed guides on all my rods from 7 to up weighs.
The guides I use are the Fuji concept single foot fly guides Alconite or Sic with the titamium frame. I have alo tried using high frame guides and the rod cast like a rocket.
I use three strippers: two regulars plus one collector guide placed 10 cm away from the first stripper. The collector guide absorb all the oscillations of the line and the gain in casting varies from the caster: it can be only 5' but I have witnessed way more.
Serge
Old 11-22-2003, 07:49 AM

Angry one footed guides

One can talk all they want about one footed guides, I have built two rods with single footed guides. Never again. I replaced them all with the snake guides. I don't mind two windings per guide. Single footed guides bend easier than the snakes, and in taking a rod apart be aware that if your hand hits against a single footed guide you have a chance of stripping the guide off the rod. Sixty plus years of flyfishing has taught me a couple of things, that included.:hehe:
Old 11-22-2003, 09:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
I am not talking about single foot wired guide. I am talking about single foot ringed guide. The foot of these are thicker and with many bones above 10 pounds, tarpons in the 100+ I have never had a guide stripped off my blank. I do not have your experience, but mine is funded on about 50 days of intense fishing per year.
Also, it is good to secure the single foot guide with 2-3 wraps above the guide.

Ringed guides put the line away form the blank and wire is not as smooth as zirconium or SIC.

Serge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.