Winter Season? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 02:59 PM

Winter Season?

With all the changes that have come about over the last 2 weeks to our local rivers what do folks think our winter season will be like? Besides the hope for steelhead to show in our rivers better than they have over the last few years what else are you looking forward to this season?

For me
1) It is the hope we have a colder than usual winter keeping snow in the mountains and enough rain lower to keep rivers from going gin clear like they have for the last few years.

2) That we have at least 3 or 4 snow days in suburbia to bring it to its knees. Nothing better than putting the chains on before light and heading for the river dodging cars out of control. Fishing all day with snow in the trees and stuck to your felts.

3) Plenty of floats with good friends on cloudy days with plenty of drizzle just as steelhead fishing should be.

4) Now that the boat is done I will take more time to fish weekdays out on the OP if there are any rivers to fish out there this year. This would include sitting at a very wet, moss covered picnic table with new friends who are truely hardcore fishermen who like drinking good wine and smoking cigs on a typical OP rain soaked evening.

5) Telling more fishing lies to just the right people at least hoping I told them to the right people.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
LBFF Mojo

1. Find a fishing partner willing to wake up at 3:30am to get to the Skagit by dawn.

2. Try and use shorter spey rods for all my winter fishing. Going to try and get by with the CND 13' 8/9 and the meiser switch 8/9. In my experience last year I rarely needed a 15+ rod needed.

3. Get a new fishing truck by February.

4. Hit the OP at least once.

5. Try and do some floats in my watermaster.

6. Remember to bring my flask filled with burbon every time I get out. Last year there were a few sleet filled days I really could have used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Mr. Mom

Hey Sean

I'm ordering a Watermaster on Wednesday. Let me know if you want to start a Watermaster Flotilla this winter I do fish 15 footers in the winter though. It lets me do want I want to do while remaining lazy/comatose mcuh of the time after those 3:30 a.m. slides down the batpole.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Chief of E.P.

Fishing partners good.

Flotilla bad.

Next thing you know someone will want to have a get together on a river and have shirts made.

(Just my own private and personal opinion.)
Old 10-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Chief of E.P.

As for the winter season...

I hope for good times with a few good friends. I hope for solitude. I hope for early wild fish. I hope for lots of 2 salts returning starting in February. I hope for 3'-4' of vis and a falling river whenever I get lucky enough to spend the entire day out and 50% of the time when I am just out for the morning. I hope for displays of good river etiquette from all anglers and guides. Like OC, I hope for snow. I hope for the occasional hatchery fish to go against its nature and take a swung fly. I hope those true to the sport are rewarded for their patience and I hope those that just see it as a trendy hobby come to understand that winter steelheading is equal parts disapointment, discomfort, disillusionment and finally success. If they can't come to understand that, I hope they go back to trout.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 PM
LBFF Mojo

Oh I almost forgot:

7. Get Sinktip a bright orange shirt that says Cranky SOB on the front and "Leave your Indicators at home" on the back so when we see him coming so we can snip off our egg sucking leeches and put on a respectable fly before he passes through

Seriously I hear you about those large flotilla things people have going. I mean I usually like other fisherman but not 700 of them at the same time fishing my water.

However Phil, I am all for a 2 boat mini flotilla any time.

Hoping this winter is a good one (hell I will take a repsectable one) for all. A few more weeks and we should start seeing some early brats. Hopefully we will see them on the end of our fly lines and not as victims of a dead drifted sac of eggs.

-sean
Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Mr. Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by sinktip
Fishing partners good.

Flotilla bad.

Next thing you know someone will want to have a get together on a river and have shirts made.

(Just my own private and personal opinion.)
Hey Sinktip

Flotilla = 2 individual flotation devices

Armada = 3 individual flotation devices

Old 10-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I hope the Sky has a record steelhead year and remains open. Maybe then the city dwellers will stay away from the Skagit.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Chief of E.P.

I am with Kerry, I hope that too but know it won't happen.

I want that shirt Sean. I would wear it with pride.

Phil, if 3 boats equal an Armada what does 30 equal?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Mr. Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by sinktip

Phil, if 3 boats equal an Armada what does 30 equal?
Why, a Regatta of course!

Definition of a regatta? A bunch of people, who under the best of circumstances have no business being there, and won't be for another year once the festivities are concluded
Old 10-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Chief of E.P.

I would like to go on record as being against any and all regattas. Now a good armada (see definition above) is a healthy thing from time to time.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

On a little more serious note.............

If you guys are planning on floating any of the rivers that were recently flooded like the Skagit or Sauk. Be careful. I drove up to the Sauk over the weekend and from what I could see from the roads there are a few changes. Water is still somewhat high and I will be making more recon trips in the future.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:09 PM
LBFF Mojo

Yeah I have heard the sauk had a few major changes.

Plan to let the more experienced guys float it a few times before I give it a shot. I cannot afford to mess around with losing gear or my life for that matter.

-sean
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 PM

What do I think....

I think that we have (as usual) our work cut out for us. The good news is that the highway maps are still fairly accurate , other than that I am quite certain that we will all have a problem finding "That" special place we like to find every year!
As some of you may know I am not much of a promoter of "our sport" so the sour grapes I am about to share with you are probably a little bit like the young Germanic lad who was eaten alive after crying "Wolf" one too many times.
I just got home from trout fishing in a few of the tributary streams on the western OP and driving by the Hoh and several other rivers I can honestly say that things are different. I have no recollection of turbidity as opauqe as Hoh and Elwha at their present volumes. Or for that matter Lake Crescent which is usually as clear as "Gin" it looks like the Hoh does when you say boy by tomorrow it will be fishing. A lot of rain fell here and the radical chanel shifts that have plauged us the last bit of awhile have not stopped.
OC I am hopeful that you will find us in camp at the usual spot ,and we will have uncorked not only many bottles of wine, but also the mystery of where that "Place" is this year.
Cold is weather perdicted and as the smoke clears from the waters I will begin my search under the disguise of a salmon fisher. They tell me that world isn't flat so eventually all this water is bound to run off.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Pullin' Thread

For me it is:

1) a decent return of fish and water levels that have 4 or more feet of visability. Water levels that keep the rivers inside their normal banks would also be nice.

2) a few days of snow here in the lowlands is a plus; but not a neccesity.

3) a trip or two to the OP to fish with good friends from PA are also highly desirable.

4) no low-holing and excellent etiquet from all I come into contact with on the river.

5) getting my 16 ft "timber" out for a good workout on those drizzly, rainy days we northwesterners refer to as "liquid sunshine".

6) spending time both alone and in the company of a few friends in pursuit of winter steelhead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.