Gear review program - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2001, 12:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gear review program

I would like to start thinking about a program where we obtain rods, reels and lines for member reviews. Here's how I think it should work:

a) solicit feedback for what rod, reel or line members are interested in testing
b) obtain and circulate the gear for reasonable test periods
c) obligation is to prepare a report which will be provided to manufacturer and upbeat reports will be published here
d) gear will be eventually awarded to high service contributors when thoroughly reviewed

Questions:

What 3 rods, reels or lines would people like to field test most?
Of this list, what experiences already exist in the membership to share with others?
Provided there is assistance from the manufacturer(s), do members feel this is a good use of our funds?

Let me know,

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2001, 11:16 AM

RE:Gear review program

I might not have 3 suggestions for each, but I have at least one each:

Rods: The Redington nano Titanium

Reels: The Old Florida reels are nice.

Line: Any of the latest changable tip lines from Orvis or Cortland, esp. if transparent!
Old 01-31-2001, 02:21 PM
President of CAC

Juro, I have not tested every rod but I have tested a majority of them and like the different actions I get... i.e. I don't have to have a particular action, plus the casting with different actions only helps or improves my overall casting ability... However there is one rod I would love to test which it appears has a limited sales exposure here in the northeast and they are rods from the Powell company. Just this year, I think they have come out with or developed an improvement to their saltwater line. Do you have any contacts with that company and do you know why they have choosen a limited marketing stategy?
Old 01-31-2001, 02:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good question John - let's find out! I'll add Powell to the list of desired rods for the program.
Old 01-31-2001, 06:27 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Reels: The new Redington LA; Tibor Riptide; Orvis Vortex

Rods: Winston XTR; Any 5 piece rod; I'll second the Redington Ti
Old 01-31-2001, 09:03 PM

I'd like to experiment with the Rio flylines. Particularly the interchangable tip system lines. Riptide used to use all their gear on his charter...
Old 02-01-2001, 05:14 PM

I'd love to take taste test of rods from a company that makes a variety of designs specifically for salt water and do a comparison--like Loomis: I'd love to spend a day fishing a GLX, a Nautikos, a GL3 and one of their Mega tapers and report on pros and cons with differnt lines, conditions, value for $$$ etc.

I'd also like to try rods that, for some reason, I've had little exposure to, like Winston, Diamondback and Powell...
Old 02-01-2001, 06:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

John, a freind of mine has a Powell. he liked it till a guide tried it and said that next to the scott sts it was dead... my freind then tried the guides scott and agreed. Tom D
Old 02-01-2001, 11:14 PM
President of CAC

Tom, was it too soft ?.. I have a Scott eclips 10wt which has a mid flex but I love it, casts a shooting head with ease and is much lighter and softer that my T & T horizon 10 wt.. I thought Powells had the reputations of Winstons as far as the spring creek and other trout rods. The Scott sts is more like the Horizon.. so just wondering. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2001, 03:28 AM

As of two years ago, Powell is a totally different company. Charles Schwab bought the name and built a new plant in Sacramento. The folks there are working hard and tweeking their new tapers. The Accelerator series is especially good. A rod that throws floating/intermediates as well as heavy sink tips, these rods have nothing in common with the old rods and are far from "dead".
The new Winston XTR's are more like the old RPLX(Very Heavy Tip) than any past Winston.
As a new company, Powell's marketing scope is spreading slowly. Well worth keeping an eye on.
I would like to fish with the new T&T 12/12. I doubt that they will have many loose ones kicking around this season. The Winston Derek Brown spey rods and XTR #14(with a Charlton Offshore/Spey combo please) would be good too.
Reels...hmm. Those Old Florida reels look pretty nice for the money. At $160...may as well buy one.
The new Rio Striper(glow in the dark) and the Pocket water lines look interesting.
I would like to take the Pathfinder 22 and the Hell's Bay 15' Waterman out for a fish and....oh this is from the FFF's budget?
I don't think that the items would need to be purchased. I am sure that between the reps and a sponsoring fly shop, gear could be made available for gatherings and demos. Of course demo flylines cost about $30 so a fly line library might be cool.
Old 02-02-2001, 09:59 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Eddie, That's good info on Powell, I was thinking that because of Marketing exposure it was a sleeper. It's history in Cane rodes is oustanding and one of the olds companies. But They keep saying they are expanding their marketing and I think I was first told that 5 years ago... so, I am not sure of who is the distribitor around here, but I would want to try it first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.