rhody advice ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyfreak
rhody advice ?

i can't make the 2 hander event, but i'll be down there earlier in the day looking for my first ever albie ....
i've fished quonny breachway, can anyone give me any general directions to other breachways or popular spots?
i'm not looking for secrets, i just wanna be able to move on if quonny is dead.....
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Try Weekapaug breachway, they tend to come up inside the channel.

Also, you might find them running up and down Napatree but it's usually a good shot from shore beyond any shore casters reach, but one never knows when they will make landfall.

If you have a way to cross at Quonny safely the beach on the far side has a corner against the jetty that can be very productive for hardtails when they push in against the bait.

Too bad you can't make the event, have a good day just the same. I am sure others will give you more albie info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2003, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyfreak
Thanks Juro !!
I'm going to hit saltwater edge to pick up the rhody shore guide.
craig gave me some info, said the guide was well worth it...
we'll see what happens !!!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:28 AM

Weekapaug breachway is the next one as you go west. It's my favorite breachway. There's lots of parking and lots of room to move around. On route one heading west, take a left at the lights at the mobile station, just after you pass McDonalds on the right. Go straight through the next set of lights and you will soon see the breachway on your right.

Charleston breachway is the next one from Quonnie as you head east. I can't remember exact directions but there are signs for Charlestown beach and breachway. Haven't fished it for awhile but it's a well known big bass location for the after dark eel slingin crowd.

That's enough to get you started. There's many more spots to find as you explore the area. It's common practice to drive from spot to spot and look for action. If you see lots of other guys also driving from spot to spot, nobodie's found action. If there are no fishermen on the roads, look for their parked cars.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Jonesin...

FF,

Sent you a PM. To summarize the albie bite has been very weak from shore this year. I have the Shore Guide and it does have some good info but to head to the Edge to pick it up is a pretty decent trip from where you will be fishing.

Sean
Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM

Good point Sean, isn't SWE in Newport? If you're gonna go that far, you'd be better off driving the shore drive and watching for birds. Prolly won't see any albies, but then, truthfully, I wouldn't put much stock in hitting them from the breachways either. Even the Weekapoug regulars are whinning. The tunas just ain't co-operating.

But we don't need no stinkin tuna! Bass fishing has been consistent and last weekend I saw more blues in one place than I've seen in years, and I'm not talking two pounders!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.