Mission Proposals - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2001, 11:41 AM

Mission Proposals

The Worldwide Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to four basic principles. The sharing of our collective knowledge and experience; Conservation of the fish we love and the environments in which they are found; Friendship; and Fun.

To live up to these principles we promote informed and active discussions on the issues surrounding flyfishing. We host events like conclaves and sponsor activities like article writing. We seek ways to welcome others to our network so that we may gain from their wisdom, experience, and friendship while sharing ours.

Critique away and let's see your ideas.

For mine I think the 2nd line in the 2nd paragraph is a little weak and the last line might sound better with the word network replaced by community.

If we keep it to the size above it will fit on the back of a business card in size 8 font.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2001, 12:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Mission Proposals

Gregg - and all who contributed to the mission statement initiative...

I think it's coming together, and these things take time. There are companies where highly paid people in suits sit around for days trying to decide on a mission statement that can't compare to ours both in intent and wording.

I'd like to see if shortening it would make it lose it's impact - less is more. That must sound funny coming from someone as generally verbose as I but since this is the time to talk about our ideas and suggestions, that's one idea I'd toss into the ring. Not quite as Capt.Ray's joke implied (he showed an empty slide and said "here's the mission statement"), but if we could get it concise without any loss of ideas, it would be good. I'll submit my attempt at this.

Also, we need to include a most important part of our mission - to build strong, mutually rewarding relationships with our great friends in the flyfishing business.

I hope everyone gives this important effort a little time until we get done with it. All I know is come spring thoughts will turn to practicing what we preach so we better finish by then or it may *never* get done!
Old 01-28-2001, 12:50 PM

Hey guys -

Don't know if this is satisfactory. Just my $.02

A marriage of cooperation between fly fishers and the fishing industry in promoting and the safeguarding of our environment.
Old 01-28-2001, 12:55 PM

You're right Juro, short and sweet can definitely be better. It's easier to remember and can thus be more easily referred to.

My short attempt:

To build and benefit from our community and network.
To have fun and be involved in conservation efforts affecting our sport.

As for building strong, mutually rewarding relationships with our great friends in the flyfishing business, it was not included in the core principles the group developed. However, it seems clear to me that that activity would SUPPORT any number of those principles. My point in short - It shouldn't be part of the mission but it is clearly a means toward achieving the mission.

Gregg
Old 01-28-2001, 01:50 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

After some deliberation my first attempt at the spirit of our message is as follows:

"To commune with environmentally aware and responsible anglers in an effort to accumulate knowledge and experience for the betterment of our global fly fishing culture."

I don't know if I can convey such a complex, catch all(no pun intended) philosophy in less than 25 words.

Also, I'm sorry I missed you all at Stony Brook. Fatherly duties called, and I'm happy to report that my future fly fishing companion's fever is under control. Is 8 months too young to put a fly rod in his hand?
Old 01-28-2001, 02:28 PM
President of CAC

I like old Doogue's short statement but I think if we could includ " friendship" or" commarderie" or something like that, we will have hit upon the key points and have kept it short.
Old 01-28-2001, 03:00 PM

Just a stab at a re-write with striblue's idea in mind:

"To commune with environmentally aware and responsible anglers in an effort to foster a fraternal accumulation of knowledge and experience for the betterment of our global fly fishing culture."

Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-28-2001, 03:47 PM

Something to think about.

Fraternity, or fraternal has definite male conotations and could concievably deter women from our group.

Gregg
Old 01-28-2001, 04:44 PM

I feel we need to capture the spirit behind the words rather than the words themselves. I think Gregg was on to something.

"The Flyfishing Forum is a community of anglers dedicated to sharing knowledge and experience, conservation of the resource, and promotion of friendships and fun around the world. All are welcome; there are no strangers on the water."
Old 01-28-2001, 08:17 PM
President of CAC

Old Doogue , the word fraternity can connotate a male slant. Can we find another word, like commraderie or something more generic. Al, that makes sence but it sounds more like policy as oppose to mission statement." All are welcome", is more of a policy than a mission statement, but that is just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:12 PM

Here is my last ditch attempt to make my initial statement work:

"To commune with environmentally aware and responsible anglers in an effort to foster a gregarious accumulation of knowledge and experience for the betterment of our global fly fishing culture."

I agree, fraternal has an exclusionary bias associated with it. I should have realized that from the start. Gregarious on the other hand is defined as seeking and enjoying the company of others; sociable. That is the best I can do ladies and gentlemen. If it suits the group then I'm glad I could contribute.

~Mark Doogue
Old 01-28-2001, 09:42 PM

John, I agree on the wording. However, there is a lot of implied policy in any mission statement. Even "Beat Coke" has a whole bunch of policy boiling around it.

Gang, this has been a productive exercise, but I think we might do well to apply a familiar heuristic:

Q. Who are we?
A. The FFF consists of men, women, and children of all ages who share a common interest in fly fishing

Q. What are we?
A. The FFF is a community ([club][organization][loose association]) of anglers

Q. What do we wish to accomplish?
A. To share knowledge and experience, help conserve the resource, promote friendships and fun around the world, reach out to fly fishers from all walks of life, build a network of contacts, help each other fish waters we've never fished before, and do it all without loosing a spouse or the admiration of offspring in the process.

Q. How do we wish to accomplish this?
A. Hosting conclaves, working with local, national, and global conservation organizations, communicating in cyberspace, leveraging our consumer clout with industry professionals and trade organizations, etc. [more needed]

Q. What's our time line?
A. ?.... Two weeks

My answers are off the cuff, but not too far off from how I envision the Forum.... Let's get down to it. What <i>are</i> we really, and how far do we want to go with this?
Old 01-28-2001, 10:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Looking at the array of offerings people have put forth - I had a little revelation... we're not the bunch of suits around the table straining for a mission statement that I referred to in another post. In that scenario, the process of finding (or concocting) a mission statement is painful and the resulting statement is the objective because a brochure, pamplet or annual report is waiting to go to print.

I'd go as far as saying we are the opposite of that... the fact that we are doing this is cool in and of itself, and we should savor the process. Whether we can coalesce so many individual writing styles, opinions, and earnest efforts into one stream of words is not going to change anything, in fact I'll bet there is not one reader who hasn't noticed that there is a common theme among the thoughts and words and that theme is good. Damn good.

Gregg's leadership in organizing our thoughts has been great and I am sure we will get there with his (and everybody's) help. In any case it should never be more important than the ideals that we are trying to express.

Juro
Old 01-28-2001, 10:57 PM
President of CAC

Old Doogue has made a great statement and I agree that it seems to encompass the key thoughts and I do believe it conveys who we are so Al is right as far as I can tell that policy and mission are somewhat the same so who we are is the ultimate key starting point. To old Doogue, again I like the statement and the reason I am commenting on it is for that very reason ..so, just one last comment and no more from me, do you think that the term angler should really be "flyfishing". It is the Forum name, even though we welcome everyone. I think that who we are really comes down to that for starters... Are we flyfishing? angling?, fishing? Are we we like reel-time all types of fishing... see Juro's post on Carp fishing... I think you see my point. If we can not get by ,in my opinion, the most relevent determination, and one which will set the tone for the future we are stymied in this exercise. My father did both spin and flyfishing all his life of fishing. So, do we use angling or fishing with the thought of converting fishermen, just kidding, or do we use just flyfishing with the danger of the term elitism, or do we really care, because it is flyfishing that brought us together and you can't flyfish unless you like to fish. That's it from me.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:58 PM

RE:Mission Proposals- & Vision

I admit to having been a lurker of sorts as I followed the development of the MISSION.
I would suggest a succint VISION statement aswell since I view much of the foregoing excellent but a bit lenghty and lacking a key word like "passion". Much of my professional work is of the kind that Juro alludes to, please don't kill the messenger, I get paid big $$ for doing these long processes.
Typically we work to achieve a hierarchy of themes, like;
vision&gt;mission&gt;goals&gt;objectives&gt;strate gies&gt;tactics.
The vision should be something that captures the very essence of the mission, is brief and rememebred by everyone, each often with his/her own words.
Here is my .02 worth
Something like;
"Where companions share the passion of fly fishing"

This could capture the "unspoken" that I have had the privilege of "experiencing" when I was last on the Cape, and when iI fisrt met Juro and when I read the many posts that show up here. Passion like Juro's or John's or Grego or others whose names escape me and still others I have yet to meet. Passion about the sport and IMHO passion about the companionship(s) it brings, sort of the gel that keeps it all together but that no one really sees.
Open to critique that moves the process one more step forward

P.S. I really like the mission as stated in the post.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.