Huge flies for huge fish - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2003, 07:30 AM

I feel a bit awkward jumping into this discussion

as I fish stripers only occasionally. However, this discussion is the same one that plagues pike/musky fly fishermen. Bigger flies = bigger fish. I currently tie a yak pike fly that I call a Yak 9 that imitates a perch or small bass in the 6"-7" range. I'm planning on two flies next season, a 12" musky fly that uses the whole yak hank and a fly I'll call a cross wing for the lack of a better name.

The crosswing is just in the fiddling-about stage but the idea popped up when reading an aerticle in Fly Tyer on flatwings. I'd tie my yak fly but at the mid point, I'll tie ina few saddle hackels i a flatwing config, then continue with the yak over that, producing a + cross section that should give the fly a bulky appearance when viewed from any angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2003, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Quote:
Originally posted by medic3
the problem with extra long flatwings like the eel punt is the hackle tends to want to foul around the hook, i personally have a half dozen foot long yak hair eel flies that i throw 50-60 feet with a 450 grain depth charge line with a 10#, best results for me anyway is if you let the loop open up a bit, slow down the casting stroke as if you were chucking nymphs with a few pieces of shot, stiff, short 20-30lb staight leader of about 3' in length....i can't throw it a country mile, but then again, at 4 am the cows are at my feet.....47lbs is my top fish, from terra firma, or at least terra damp.....
medic, are you saying that you have a 47 on the fly?

If so, congrats on that fish and how about some more details, ( Not location-related?)
Old 10-26-2003, 10:55 AM

Good discussion by the Big Fly Buff's, not to be confused with DblHaul's local night spot.
How about posting pictures of those big flies so that the rest of us uninitiated can SEE waht your are talking about?
It could aslo inspire further developments by variations on a given theme. For me, it coud inspire additional Pike patterns.
Friday was likely the last day of Pike fishing for me, weather predictions are for -15Celsius this coming Thursday. We fished with patterns ranging from 4 inches up to 8 inches, all the while trying to keep the presentation depth, area fished etc. the same with different flies. Clearly the larger flies got us the larger flies.
In the spring, it's almost the opposite, smaller flies get larger fish and larger flies either don't work well or only attract smaller fish. I think it is clearly related to both the bait size in each season as well as the feeding habit/purpose/food availability in each season. More hatchlings are around in the spring while more spawing (larger) whitefish are around in the fall. I have very similar experiences with trout, in the fall whne they are beefing up, I find large streamers get more big fish than small nymphs, the reverse applies in the spring.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Recent Member

the fish was caught on the south shore of mass while wading, dropping tide with a low at 6 am. i was fishing with a friend using live eels who landed 3 fish that morning before i hooked up, all in the 30# class, released....i hooked up shortly thereafter, fish took in 3' of water 20 ' in front of me and promptly put me well into the backing, we played give and take for around 15 minutes, although it felt like an hour, and was finally able to ease it into the wash were it was landed, weighed on friends scale and quickly released, she swam off slowly and hopefully is alive and well today....and it was the end of october, 38 degrees out with a hard west wind which was helpful with casting. I think the eel is your best bet for imitating a large bait, not bulky and wind resistant, and the cows love 'em.... my biggest is 54, on a live eel, before i was introduced to the long wand....oh, and that fish went back too....
Old 10-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Fluff

I've been busy with some important home repairs of late, and didn't get time blocked out to make a few of these for distribution. What I hope to get done in the next week or so is a few, to be sent to Juro, Adrian, Jay and Striblue - Juro and Adrian, 'cuz they're seemingly best equipped, logistically, to give them a run south of here; Jay and John, 'cuz they have photo abilities (if not time to fish as well) that I don't, and maybe they'd photo and post the thing so we could give a look-see all around - that's the best I can offer for the moment.

P.S. - I think I have to modify it a bit, based on what Jay threw in.

Last edited by DFix; 10-28-2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:08 AM

Medic3,
Chris?

Nice fish period, especially on the fly and especially in my neck of the woods. Were you using an eel imitation?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.