Heron Feathers? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Mr. Mom

Heron Feathers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=7299

I'm stunned...
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Fishin fool don't ya know

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Herons protected?

Does this guy sell Bald Eagle feathers too?

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Chief of E.P.

Some Herons are protected and some others are not. If I understand this correctly, the feathers you are seeing on e-bay are not from Blue Herons and are not protected. My guess is they are also grown in an aviary for this purpose.

I am sure that more informed members will chime in with a more detailed explanation.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 PM

Heron feathers

The ebay posting says the feathers are from an aviary, and not from protected Great Blue Herons.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Mr. Mom

I was under the impression that the blue is only the tip of the iceberg, and that importation of, and handling of the feathers of a variety of asian species is also illegal, even domestically grown. I am quite used to being wrong. Been wrong most of my life, but these feathers smell dangerous to me.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Chief of E.P.

Philster,

This issue came up a year or so ago. A search here or on teh spey pages will bring up quite a bit of info.

'tip
Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM
speyco

Depending where they come from they are protected by c.i.t.e.s.......some can be imported by permits.......be carful who you buy from ........
Old 10-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

If they are from Aviary birds, they are intirely legal; however, make sure you get a copy of the certification (with the Aviary's name on it) stating that they are domestically grown Avery feathers.

These feathers are pretty pricey though (70 cents each as a start or starting bid of $7.00 for 10 feathers) and in my opinion are not worth the cost. Blue eared pheasant ($125.00 to $200.00/skin with hundreads of feathers on a skin, cost per feather about 2 cents) or the Whiting Spey Hackle at $25.00 to $40.00/ neck - again with hundreds of usuable feathers - (make sure you get the rooster neck spey hackle) are rof easonable cost and will do what heron does without worrying about legality.

Last edited by flytyer; 10-22-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:25 AM

i've seen this guy's sales in the past,everthing he has he states is from an aviary,,,so,aren't herron feathers legal in U.K. and Can.-B.C.????,they're on the Rogue here in so ore. all they way,up, down ,river,i think they have realtors,as you never see two together:hehe:
Old 10-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Pullin' Thread

Hammer,

It makes no difference if heron (or any other feather, fur, or tail) is legal in a country other than the U.S. for those of us who live in the U.S. because U.S. residents are subject ot U.S. law, not the law of another country.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:32 AM

Thumbs down

I do quite a bit of bird carving and I would give my eye teeth to get my hands on some real bird models so I could use my calipers to measure everything exactly. But this is a huge NO NO! If caught, the fine is huge.
One time an Oregon Dark Eyed Junco hit my front door in a storm and broke his neck. I called WDFW and was told that I was not allowed under any cicumstances to save the carcass. So I buried it (no religious ceremony).
I can have ducks if shot in season but that's it. I do shore birds mostly but I would love to do a Great Blue Heron. Photos don't really work well because they distort all the curves and feathering.
I don't think I would buy feathers like that at any price.
Bob, the Good Boy
Old 10-25-2003, 09:38 AM
President of CAC

blawless... do you sell your carvings?...Do you carve shore Terns?
Old 10-25-2003, 02:56 PM

Thanks striblue for the implied compliment.

No, I don't sell them because by the time I'm finished, I just love them so much I could never part with them. The price would be out of sight as well.

I spent about a month working off and on to create an American Gold Finch and over two months on an American Avocet. I've about three weeks in on a Long Billed Curlew and I haven't even started the feathering or the painting. Even the research is time consuming because you have to gather every photo and piece of information you can find. So no, the price is more than I could ever charge and I'm not famous so it would be ridiculous. People have no concept of how many hours an artist has consumed working on something so they never understand the high cost.

I would suggest that you take up the hobby and I would be glad to give you some pointers as to tools, etc. Find a local carving club and go hang out a bit-they won't mind. It's a blast and you don't have to be terribly gifted; it's just something that you learn, you use patterns, soft wood, (tubelo or bass wood) and just have fun.
I can tell you this: they become your baby and parents don't often sell their children.. .Well, maybe if the price is right. Babies, too, are fun to make or at least work on making.
Bob:hehe:
p.s. The idea of a Shore Tern sounds interesting. I'm going to look one up. Thanks again.

Last edited by blawless; 10-25-2003 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.