Skagit goes wild - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Skagit goes wild

River Levels as of 5:32 AM 10/21/03:
Skagit at Concrete: 41.72 ft Flood stage at Concrete is 28 feet, expected to crest at 42 ft at 8:00 AM 10/21/03
Skagit at Mount Vernon: 28.99 ft Flood stage in Mount Vernon is 28 feet, expected to crest at 38 ft at 8:00 PM 10/21/03
(Sunrise 7:38 a.m. Sunset 6:09 p.m. )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 21, 2003
Time: 5:30 A.M.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS CLOSED IN BURLINGTON-EDISON, LA CONNER, MOUNT VERNON, AND SEDRO-WOOLLEY AS SAFETY PRECAUTION

Public schools in the Burlington-Edison, La Conner, Mount Vernon, and Sedro-Woolley are closed today as a safety precaution. Anacortes Schools are open. All out of district activities and transportation will also be cancelled in La Conner.

This flood is equaling or exceeding the flood events of 1990 and 1995.

The Skagit County Department of Emergency Management is recommending that local elementary and secondary schools close today as a safety precaution.

People living in the flood plain are encouraged to move their records to a safe area.

Plans are underway to move farm animals to high ground.

The National Guard is staged at Marblemount and Hamilton to help with evacuation. Also 15 Search and Rescue personnel are stationed at Hamilton.

The National Weather Service is continuing to forecast serious flooding for the Skagit River system. The Skagit and its tributaries have been rising rapidly in the eastern, upriver portion of Skagit County. The prediction is that the river will reach 42.5 feet at Concrete at 8:00 AM Tuesday morning. At 5:30 AM Tuesday morning, the gauge at Concrete read 41.72 feet.

The 5:30 AM gauge reading for Mount Vernon is 28.99 feet. The National Weather Service has revised its forecast for the Skagit crest in Mount Vernon to 38 feet at 8:00 PM Tuesday evening. Flood stage in Mount Vernon is 28 feet. City officials are planning to begin sandbagging of the downtown revetment, a paved parking facility adjacent to the river in downtown Mount Vernon, at 8:00 AM Tuesday morning.

Volunteers to sandbag are asked to report to the Mount Vernon Fire Hall on South 2nd Street in Downtown Mount Vernon at 8:00 AM Tuesday. Volunteers are also asked to report to the Conway Fire Station at 8:00 AM. Dike District 17 needs volunteers for sandbagging at their headquarters on Stewart Road in Mount Vernon, near the Cottontree Inn at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Sandbagging will also take place at the Skagit County Courthouse. No volunteers are requested.

Shelters are open at the following locations:

Marblemount Community Hall, 60055 SR 20; phone 360-873-4432.
Shelters were opened yesterday at the following locations:
Grassmere Fire Hall, 4288 Hwy 20, Concrete; phone 360-853-8361 and
Hamilton 1st Baptist Church, 797 Hamilton Cemetery Rd.; ph. 360-826-3307.

Personnel from the Whidbey Naval Air Station have sandbagged around the Anacortes Water Treatment Plant. The Riverbend Road is closed.

County officials and work crews continue to monitor the situation closely and take appropriate actions as necessary. Additional news releases will be issued as new information warrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 11:46 AM

Bad news

Hope everyone in the valley and upriver rides it out with minimal damage. Doesn't look good for the king redds, or the pinks either. Looks like the Sauk peaked at over 100,000 cfs last night- major changes to that river I'm sure.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Chief of E.P.

I second the best wishes for one and all living near our Puget Sound Rivers. I am sure the upper Sauk will change dramatically and would expect the mouth might have moved (again) as well. I am also curious to see what the lower Sky is like once the waters recede.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:05 PM

Maybe some of the famous runs of the 70's and 80's on the lower Sky will show their lovely faces again. The few runs that still existed were tired and not holding fish like they did not all that many years ago.

On all our local rivers it will be fun to float this winter for the first time and to see what is around the next bend in the river. It is always so much fun fishing a newly found run on a river one has fished for many years. That being said it is also fun to make sure that the oarsman is paying attention to the job at hand, right Sinktip, Sparky and of course myself included in that short list.

With global warming or what ever we have we are not getting snow pack down to the elevations we used to get. Expect much more two and three day flooding thoughout the year than we got in the early 80's and before.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

The beautiful house that almost went in the Sauk has most likely made it to the Skagit in pieces by now. Some of the large log jams, on the Skagit have probably made it down river too.

I also wonder how much sand and gravel have been moved downstream of Oso or from Deer Creek into the river. This rain has sure shot the hell out of silver fishing though, and closed the pass to the Methow's fine steelheading possibly for the year.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Registered Spey Offender

So, in three years,are you saying the pink, silver and king runs will be deminished because of this flooding? Really can't wait to see how all the rivers shape up after this. Of course, all those pictures I took of the rivers when they were low, so I could keep track of underwater structure, are worthless and I can delete them? I'll miss the smell of rotting fish. I really do hope people in those valleys get through this OK.

Matt
Old 10-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Chief of E.P.

Flytyer,

I was thinking about that house. It is long gone without a doubt. My guess is there may be some holding water in the lower half of that float now though. At the very least, the upper braids will change.

Mattzoid,

2 years for pinks
Old 10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

A quick update. Evacuations now underway in parts of Mt. Vernon, Burlington, and Fir Island. Hiway 20 closed between Burlington and Sedro Woolley.

The river is raging with tons of debris coming down. This is getting pretty bad. I have standing water around the house and water starting to seep into the garage. We still have about 7 hours until the river crests.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:15 PM

Thumbs down We still have about 7 hours until the river crests

Good God! And we're still sitting in 82 degree sunny weather here in Medford/Ashland, OR. Or about 450 miles south.

Any web sites showing the river(s)?
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-21-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Chief of E.P.

For USGS flood tracking see the links below.

Skagit at Mt. Vernon
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?station=12200500

Sauk at Sauk
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?station=12189500

Skykomish at Goldbar
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?site_no=12134500
Old 10-21-2003, 04:23 PM

Ch-ch-changes

Well, there were a number of changes from the first high water late last week, and this new water is even more fierce. Most of the glacial sand that had come out of the Suiattle and deposited below was scoured away clean by Sunday. The Cascade River now runs straight below the bridge, almost bypassing the hatchery entirely (it just might when the water recedes), the large logjam at the bend above the hatchery is gone. Deer Creek was running like cement on Sunday AM. I would suspect this will hurt the spawning dollies as well. And any parr that don't get lucky will be washed away.

From what I've heard Hwy 20 over the pass is close for the season, marking the earliest date ever.

Last edited by Nailknot; 10-21-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
If I understood the news reports, Highway 20 is presently closed by landslides between Marblemount and Ross Lake, not by snow. So perhaps after the floods recede and the hwy. crews do their work, it may be open again. I'd check before heading up that way.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 PM

Closed

It is closed due to rock slides, erosion and water over the road- but not snow

>>
North Cascade Hwy SR20 5477 ft F Forecast
Restrictions Eastbound: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
Restrictions Westbound: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
Conditions & Weather: Closed between milepost 120 to milepost 170,
Last Update: 4:37 PM, Oct 20, 2003
Next Expected Update: 8:00 AM,Feb 28, 2003
Old 10-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Here again,

They have started to evacuate the other side of the road I live on. Things are getting real bad.

Took a short drive south on 9. Water is really wild at the bridge. Hiway 9 should be closed by the time I write this. Saw a creek south of Clearlake running the wrong way. The creek is now draining the Skagit instead of feeding it. Mud lake in Clearlake is now connected to the Skagit. This is the worst I have ever seen.

Took my digital camera to shoot some pics and it had a dead battery. Took some with my regular camera so should have some pics in a few days.

My house is becoming pet central for evacuated relatives and friends. I now have 5 dogs and 3 cats. Started the day with 1 of each.

Youngest son has been sand bagging since 7:00 am. Volunteered for it. Hell of a good kid.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:21 PM

October Floods

I live on the banks of the Stilly. Today I have been watching all the salmon moving along the "easy" water. I have seen old humpies, some silvers and some big dogs showing there dorsel as they move along. Many of these fish will end up in the fields and side channels as the river drops. October floods was the only time I ever saw my grandfather fish with a hook and line. He would use fresh silver eggs and fish with a cane pole. At flood stage the Stilly still had a foot or two of visibility. He would catch trout. They were probally cutthroat and silver and king jacks. The stilly had a good run of fall kings in those days. Nowadays there is no visibility during the flood. I would say this flood of this height would be about a 10 year event. It creasted about 7:30 this morning and held till noon or so and is now on the way down. Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.