Fall Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 08:55 AM

Fall Trip

Fished the North Platte over the weekend and did OK. I do not have any pictures so you do not have to believe this report it is your choice. The days began with orange sunrises and ended with even more vibrant sunsets. The plains glowed pink. We saw some pronghorn and a bunch of ducks but no mulies this trip. We found the river to be a bit off color and full of weed. The flushing flows will not come until springtime with the annual runoff. The fish were not eating scuds with their usual recklessness so the catching started slower than usual. A combination of red SJW with an RS-2 trailer elicited the most strikes, although fish were taken on a variety of the usual flies. The longest measured fish went 24”. One fish taken at the spillway ran so fast the line slicing through the water set up a spray like a mini jet boat. That fish was bigger but the footing is so treacherous by the dam that she was not taped. My buddy took the biggest fish of his life and the trip. It was a kype jaw male in full spawning color. The water is so fertile the rainbows spawn twice a year up there. The fish was easily over 5 and pushed 7 pounds, an absolute brute. We fished some new water on the ride home. The run was beautiful but only gave up one fish. There is so much water to explore. I cannot wait until our next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome Brad...

Don't need pictures for proof, but I would love the see the aspens and the river scenery of the rockies in vivid color. Well OK a fish picture here or there would get my attention as well

Juro
Old 10-21-2003, 12:55 PM

My buddy came through with pictures. Not the biggest fish but one for the sox fans...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red sox1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2319  
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 PM

Sunset
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange sky1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2320  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.