Westfield Report - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up Westfield Report

After the DEVESTATING sox loss on Thursday night, I took friday off and headed west for the Westfield River. Air temps when I arrived on the water were 36 degrees! Needless to say the chilly temps made for a slow morning, but once the sun got up it turned into a beautiful fall day on one of the prettiest rivers around.

After trying a number of techniques I went back to down and dirty nymphing tactics and found some success. Landed a few large rainbows that appeared to be holdovers with dark backs and good fins. Highlight of the day was a brown that was either wild or holdover that was in full spawning regalia with big spots and white trailers on the rear fins, similar to those you'd see on a brook trout this time of year.

Saw a decent caddis hatch early afternoon but not a riser to be found in a full day's fishing.

Planned to fish the Deerfield on Saturday but AGAIN 900 cfs all day long so I didn't bother. I don't understand why they are only running low water from midnight to 6 am but I have pretty much given up on this river. Fall is supposed to be low-water time on the big D!

The second season for MA trout anglers is in effect! Get out there and enjoy it!

Last edited by BigDave; 10-20-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds pretty awesome, every time I've driven over that river I've thought of how pretty it looks, kind of like a western style river in size and freestone appearance not to take away from New England charm of course

I'll bet before the dam craze on the CT that used to be a nursery for the famed native atlantic salmon run that ran all the way into vermont... have to check the history books on that one.

In any case, what a beautiful river for sure. I'd love to fish it, maybe will squeeze a trip in before the big "W"... can't even say it
Old 10-20-2003, 08:10 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
. . .
I'll bet before the dam craze on the CT that used to be a nursery for the famed native atlantic salmon run that ran all the way into vermont... have to check the history books on that one.
. . .
You're probably right Juro. They have been stocking salmon fry in the Westfield for a number of years as part of the atlantic salmon restoration project. I don't know how successful their efforts have been, since they only get a handful of salmon in the Holyoke fish lift every spring.

Q
Old 10-21-2003, 03:44 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Man....Dave you are everywhere! Fishing in western Mass. during the week and hittin' Montauk on the weekend...must be nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.