10/18 Afternoon -- RI Bad, CT Good - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 10:06 AM
_

10/18 Afternoon -- RI Bad, CT Good

Took a ride to the coast yesterday and arrived at Watch Hill at around noon. Fished Napatree for a while but didn't hike out to the point. Saw some bait but nothing else and no bird action. Ran into Sean in the parking lot -- hope he did better than I did. Drove around for a quick look at Weekapaug, Quonny and Charlestown and they were dead too, at least while I was there.

Headed over to Ocean Beach in CT for sundown and had some fast action with schoolies for about an hour and a half. They were hammering bait on top and I was getting multiple hits and hookups on a white popper before sundown and a black slider when it started getting dark. There were a few larger fish mixed in, and some guys in a kayak said there were blues further out, but all I got were schoolies up to 24" or so. They stopped hitting shortly after dark so I headed home.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 07:46 PM

Timming is everything

Q, There is plenty of fish around, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Daybreak, and nightfall. I have had one of the best years I have had in a long time. Except for albies which I have not seen that I could positively identify. At times blues to 13 lbs, and bass to about 20 lbs right in the trench close to to beach.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:04 PM
_

Yep, bad timing for me yesterday. I had my chances at some fish in the suds last week, I just didn't hook up as often as I would have liked and didn't get any big ones even though I saw plenty of them! Maybe next time!

Q
Old 10-20-2003, 04:48 AM

From Art's reply it seems that the tide isn't as big a factor in the Fall.
FishHawk
Old 10-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

During migration, I made a little rhyme to remind myself... "early and late, moving water and bait".

That being said, the south side Dennis beaches on the cape were a massive moving blitz scene with thousands of schoolies and a few submarines moving in cadence with the masses, occasionally creating a sinkhole the size of my kitchen table in the FAC surface yesterday for my last charter of the year.

They're heading your way still, and there are more to come - Nantasket exploded Sunday morning in an epic blitz.

Harry Koons (nauset angler) and I were chatting and we are convinced the migration will last well into November on the outer beaches. We're thinking of having an Outer Limits clave and bbq on November 8th if anyone's interested.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Fly chucker

Hey Q...the causeway was pretty decent yesterday. Same kind of situation that you've described at Ocean Beach, but with more shad thrown into the mix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.