Signed, "Sealed" and Delivered on 10/17 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2003, 09:35 AM

Signed, "Sealed" and Delivered on 10/17

Yesterday was quite a day....arrived for one day of FF on the Cape. Started out at Harding Beach, only stayed an hour due to heavy weeds all over the place. Decided to walk the outside of SB. Arrived at the Light at 8:30 a.m. The plan was to walk up beyond the Rip Ryder drop off and fish the incoming on the way back. A more glorious day, weather wise, there couldn't be!
Arrived at my favorite spot and immediately saw cruising bass on the egde of a sharp drop 5 ft from shore (Juro...this was 2 1/2 into the incoming :-) )
Although no bait was seen all the way up, I promptly let fly with a 4 inch baby bunker.....a seal came out of no where and smashed it....immediately seeing what it was, I lowered the rod, held the flyline and broke him off (glad I wasn't in a yak).
The next 2-3 hours in this location was the most unusal of my short surf fishing experience, although unsuccessful re catching FISH, I could not leave. About 15 minutes after my hook up with Mrs. Seal, I saw a striper to my right skimming 1/2 way out of the surface at breakneck speed for about 15 ft...suddenly from under came a seal who was at half out of the water with the 2 ft striper crossways in his mouth. For the next 2 hrs, about 20 seals arrived,stayed and foraged on our beloved species....Almost continuous thrashing! The seals were almost in rows....5ft/30ft/100ft out from shore. Needless to say, I just pretty-much kept my line out of the water and watched, partly with amazement and mostly with sadness. I know we catch them too, but we put them back unharmed.
Finally decided to leave the carnage and walk back to last 2-3 hrs of the incoming. Unusually, not one more bass sighted in the 3 miles back. Other than the above...the day was devoid of bait, bird action or surface action. Back at the hole at the Lighthouse for the last hrs or 2 of the incoming.....nothing. A few paltry schools of 2 inch silversides. 3 clam chunkers there, no hits for them either. All in all, an interesting day at the beach, watching the circle of life.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 10:07 AM
President of CAC

Sounds like a good day even without fish caught.... about that time of year now on the outer beaches... but the North Shore of Ma seems to still produce.... It will be touch and go now on SB going forward.... Night fishing maybe key .
Old 10-18-2003, 11:09 AM

It was a good day John...nature at it's best! We will not get many shirtsleeve days like yesterday. Question re SB outer.....do the fish usually migrate the outershore or is it an inside (Bay) game in the Fall?
Ron
Old 10-18-2003, 12:54 PM
President of CAC

There is no question that the Bay has big action... but the best of South beach in the late fall has usually been offshore... say a mile or 2 off.... the window does exist on SB...but very unpredicatable and not necessarily a matter of tide... atleast that has been my experience.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Thanks John...I guess my next day trip is Bay side. Probably Sandwich on a cloudy day.
Ron
Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've hooked seals twice who took the fly, several times on my struggling schoolie - it's not a good feeling!

Seals have been predating on bass more this year than any other year I can remember, not just on hooked fish but instead as you point out actively hunting them. They have been doing the cattle drive mentality to push bass into corners since July, very odd. Maybe not enough dogfish around or other food sources like the big sand eels we typically see on the beach - missing this year. I had a charter one day when the seals pushed 400 bass right into our knees. Frustrating as heck watching all those fish huddled like herring and not wanting anything to do with the fly. Finally one schoolie took the fly amidst the carnage and my guest commented "must have been a stupid one" so we went to another spot.

I scouted on the 18th, Hardings included. Many max sized pogies being pushed around, but no takers even to live-liners. A few hours later at nightfall the place exploded and those who stayed scored BIG w/ some fish over 40".

Next morning (Sunday) I brought my guys there at first light and it was dead as a doornail, 25 anglers and one fish caught. We worked the migratory pathway and hit paydirt, the action was non-stop until beer-thirty. We had to hop into the vehicles and keep chasing them to keep tight, it was obvious when they were at the particular spot due to the surface action and birds. A lot of fun and tons of action.

Got a report that Nantasket exploded Sun AM with big fish and birds, they were approaching Cohasset on Monday and are proabably going to hit the mouth of the north River any minute now on the way to Manomet, Sagamore and Scusset Beaches.

The game this time of year is coverage, intercept the migration in it's tracks and stay one step ahead. Fun stuff, but hate to see them go...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.