Who's interested? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2001, 09:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Who's interested?

Discussions at the show revealed opportunities for members that I think you'll be excited about. Here's my question:

Who would be interested in being our representative to visit one (or more) of our world's great fisheries to capture the experiences offered by our soon-to-be sponsors?

You'd have to come up with airfare but that's it. We're talking big-time destinations, some drivable... some definitely not!

Is this something we as a community should pursue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2001, 10:39 AM

RE:Who's interested?

Boy... what a teaser. Speak up, Juro!
Old 01-22-2001, 10:45 AM
President of CAC

Love to but can't.... not retired yet.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:21 AM

Well, finances are still tight but with enough notice I could probably do it - and would love to do it. I can be very flexible on the time factor.

Gregg
Old 01-22-2001, 11:41 AM

Let me clarify... we're talking about TRIPS not careers! The deal is that we would visit lodges and outfitters with plenty of film and enthusiasm, and put together a real spread on the FORUM afterwards.

Whoever goes would have certain responsibilities to gather information and take pictures that would do justice to the business offering to host you/me/them.

We'd all take turns by some selection process, probably based on site participation or member recruitment or some non-monetary measurement of commitment to see the site grow. Maybe a drawing out of the top 50 participants or something equitable to be determined later.

John - I *wish* we were talkin' careers here!
Old 01-22-2001, 12:06 PM

I'm interested but alas, the young family keeps me pretty busy (hey, they'll be the ones signing us into the nursing homes).
But there might be other oppurtunities for us to be amBASSadors from the forum. Once we complete the mission statement we'll know what to tell people we are wherever we go. We could possibly carry cards, too. Not to go over board, but if we in fact ever become a dot org with a conservation bent, I would be proud to spread the word.
$.02

Terry
Old 01-22-2001, 01:22 PM

Juro:

I would raise my hand for this one....depending on the timing and the weather on the "home front", I probably could volunteer to help out with one of these. Let me know !

John
Old 01-22-2001, 01:48 PM
President of CAC

Oh, well, I will make that kind of thing a career someday.. You Know..."hey John, do you think you could make that trip to Belize? Please...we need someone to go, it would be only for a couple weeks and you would have to fish, meet the locals and take pictures.. yes We know, it will be a tough assignment... but someone has to do it...we have nowhere to turn right now... it would be a big favour and we would owe you.PLEASE!!"
Old 01-22-2001, 01:51 PM

Yo! Juro, you have a volunteer one flight of stairs up from your desk.
Old 01-22-2001, 03:36 PM

Do you even have to ask? I got the airfare & the time!

I guess I really did miss quite a show (knocked out by the flu)...

Roop
Old 01-22-2001, 05:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Juro, I'm definately interested. how long are we talking for these trips??? weekends? long weekends? weeks? in any eent throw my name in the hat Tom D
Old 01-22-2001, 05:25 PM

Juro...
I did three years in Yemen...If you promise to never send me back, I'm available.
'Got my bag packed and my passport has a few miles left on it.
Cheers...

p.s.
Sorry I ran off Saturday at the end of the show...must'a been low blood sugar...The booth was terrific and you did a great job!!!
Old 01-23-2001, 08:13 AM

Juro, Count me in, my passport is current and have a fairly understanding manager. I might have to become a gold club member at FTD to swing it with the girlfriend, but i can deal with that.

Matt
Old 01-29-2001, 09:19 AM

Cool!

These trips never include airfare but often include lodging and meals. They are the result of partnerships with friends in the flyfishing business. As our site gets bigger, we get more interesting to more businesses, etc.

They will be distributed to members in two ways: service in important roles that help the site prosper and grow, and some by pure chance in contests. Emphasis will be on participation but there will be chance opportunities as well.

Either way there the person will need to take lots of pictures and have a great time.

This is an example of how our community gains from participation, and how our relationship with businesses benefits all. The more we push the snowball, the faster we gain mass - and the bigger the rewards get.

More details will become available over the next few weeks. Meanwhile it wouldn't hurt to be thinking about what we can do to make this part of our forum even more rewarding for participants.

Thoughts? Questions? post them here or email - juro@flyfishingforum.com
Old 01-30-2001, 12:56 PM
Flats Rat

Hi Juro

This sounds like a great idea and I would be interested. The downside is that, much as I love the good ole USA, employers here (generally) are a bit stingy with the vacation time compared to the UK.

Maybe I could wave the flag for us at Big Eddie and Joes new setup on Christmas Island this coming March - I plan to do a trip report with pics anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.