Christmas Is. Clave Anyone?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Christmas Is. Clave Anyone??

If everything falls into place, I will be heading to Christmas Is. in the South Pacific in search of bonefish, trevally and denizens of the deep this January.

The dates are Janurary 11th-18th and the cost is around $2800 plus airfare from your current locale to Honalulu. Forum sponsor Kaufmann's Streamborn is the booking agent and I am one of their loyal employees!

If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 12:21 AM

Christmas Island

Ryan,
Bones are fun, and if this is your first shot at them, have a ball. However if you have caught bones before and want to experience the baddest boys on the block, the most aggressive fish in the lagoon, except for sharks, go for trevally. There are 80 pound giants out there. A 15 pounder will turn you inside out.

Use rods of 10 to 12-weight, the best reel you have, stripping basket and big red and white striper flies, whistlers etc. When hooked that bad boy is heading straight for a coral head, so quickly set MAX MAX drag and pray. An exceptional guide will dive into the water to release your line from coral, but don't count on it. When the water is shallow a trevally turns on its side and keeps bookin'.

Since Kaufmann's swings weight at Christmas Island, get yourself booked with Moana for trevally.

Just one warning: In no case do business with Big Eddy. Consider yourself warned.

You work in the industry and probably know all this. Have fun; it's a great trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

As you know the trevally will be facing the Atlantis 1111 (11ft 11/12wt two-handed surf fly rod) this month! I can't wait to hear the results. At up to 80 pounds it should be a worthy test!

No brainer to get you one or two for the January trip, they will long be in production by then.

My mission is to get a big rooster from the surf on it... something about that fish...
Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Mr. Mom

Need a 14wt?

Hey Sparky I'm offloading a Scott HP 8'9" 14wt bluewater rod. It was my backup, so it actually has never been used. I Never needed two 14 weights strung up:hehe: Casts a 600 grain head effortlessly to 90 feet. Farther if you haul. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Flats Rat

Ryan

I'm very jelous. Bob said most of it already. I've been lucky enough to make two trips out there and both were pretty amazing.

Assuming you're staying at Captain Cooke. As Bob says, stay clear of Big Eddie. My friends and I stayed at his facility on the last trip and were not impressed. He had a major bust up with his US partner and I think it's shut down now.

If the weather (wind) is o.k. the guides will take the pangas outside the reef to troll for yellowfin and wahoo (up to 75lb ). Billfish are just offshore too.

If you're feeling suicidal and the surf isn't too big, you can wade out onto the reef and throw flies for trevally. Very tough fishing - forget stripping baskets - you're going to get dumped! I did it once and picked up lots of coral cuts and a broken rod. The 200 yard run before the trevally ripped the backing on the coral was fun though It depends on the surf and don't try it alone - next stop is Japan if you get washed off

Don't ignore the reef completely though. There are many places where breaks create interesting structure and big bones will come in to forage in the wash - especially just either side of low tide. Just walking along the shoreline, each minor headland reveals new and diferent structure and you'll see a lot of strange gatherings of dorsal fins as various species come inside the reef to spawn. If you get chance to fish the "Korean Wreck" its a bit of a drive but well worth it. On my next trip I'll definitely give the guided stuff a miss for a day to check the reef out more thoroughly.

There are some big barracuda to be had too up in the lagoon. Don't believe what they say about Pacifics being smaller than Atlantics. The one I hooked and jumped could have taken my head off with a single bite

Take spare flylines! Bugs can be a problem if the wind drops (usually at night - go figure). You can drive yourself nuts trying to catch milkfish. Happens occaisionally and they go like express trains ......

Last edited by Adrian; 10-13-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Adrian,

I'm getting great visuals from your descriptions! White sand.... swaying palms... mangroves... and NASTY FISH!

Philster,

You should put the rod in for sale by owner and/or ebay, the recent craze for atlantic tuna on the fly should have that snapped up in a hurry.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 PM

Ryan,

Can't join you, but I have a question, off current topic. You mentioned troubles with your Lamson 3.5. I think I'm experiencing the same on my 4. Did they replace the innards free? I'm getting some stick on the start-up.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Mod

Thanks for all the tips everyone... ...and I can say, your tales mirror the ones I've heard many times before (the ones regarding Big Eddy as well ).

Well Juro...maybe a couple years down the road, you will be there, chucking the two-hander for big GT's alongside yours truly!

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 10-18-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian
If the weather (wind) is o.k. the guides will take the pangas outside the reef to troll for yellowfin and wahoo (up to 75lb ). Billfish are just offshore too.
A co-worker led a trip in October of 2002 and they landed 9 sailfish with 2 triple headers!!

Another coworker will be on the flight first thing in the morning armed with numerous 14 weights, a couple Tibor Pacifics for the big bad boys offshore as well as a CND Atlantis to throw of the reefs for GT's! Plus he claims he knows of one place where the Yellowfin will be in reach (130-150') from the shore...can you say "SEE YA!!!"?? :eyecrazy: :hehe:
Old 10-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Spark,
Hope you like Pacific Lobster. You don't need to dive for them or set a pot. Just take a flashlight out on the exposed reef on the night low tide and pick them up with your hand. Ask to go with the staff when they go to get your dinner, it's a lot of fun.

GT's = Alua... Some times you will see folks there from Hawaii that don't fly fish but use conventional gear from the beach and in deeper entrances from the flats. They catch big bones and pack them in ice to take home to eat. Yes bones do taste really good if one knows how to make ono fish cake.

This time of year the south swell is down as summer is coming to the lower roaring 40's If you do some expolring on the reefs and shorelines the north side will have some winter swell traveling all the way from the north Pacific winter storms. Not as big as in Hawaii but plenty dangerous when walking on sharp corral. Those Nike type reef walkers will not do the trick for you get some diving booties with the heavy duty soles that rap around your entire feet all the way up to your ankles. If you got a day in Hawaii before you can find them there real easy and cheap
compared to here.
Have fun bring plenty of sun screen white boy! Watch out for sea snakes in some areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.