10/09/03 Montauk - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Secret:Time on the water

10/09/03 Montauk

Well I don't have the time or the room to describe yesterdays events at Monatuk but I will tell you quickly about it. I landed a new job finally which starts on Monday, this afforded me one trip to Montauk yesterday. I got a call from a good friend who has been working very hard the last 3 weeks on the road. He is off the next 5 days and he wanted to get out and fish together. I told him how about Montauk? He said I'm in and told me he was paying for all of the gas. Great I said, meet me at 4:30 am. in the driveway. I had to work Wed. night installing new server equipment in a Walmart store in Norwich, it is 1 hour from home and I started at 7:00 pm. Unfortunately it went very slowly and was basically a cluster****, so I did not get home until 3:15 am. I got about an hour of sleep and woke to Ricky in my driveway. I told him about the previous night and he said go back to sleep. I told no that I said we were fishing and that is what we were going to do. We got over to Monatuk a bit late around 8:00 am. but the weather was absolutely gorgeous and I have never had weather as good as that in Montauk. Long story short we had an all day blitz of Albies that was nothing short of non-stop, from the time we arrived till the time we left at about 4:30 we had fish all around the boat. I ran into Mr. Gray (Penguin) who was out on a charter with Capt. Jack Balint and they were into the fish the same as we were. Bent rods were the order of the day and I think everyone out there caught more Albies than ever before in a single day. I had heard the stories but had never actually witnessed the Montauk blitzes, well I finally got lucky and witnessed it in Biblical fashion. Hundreds and hundreds of Albies all strafing the surface making the Anchovies spray in every direction. They were pretty easy to hook early on but later in the day I was having much difficulty get a hookup. This is while my fly was in the midst of giant schools of breaking Albies, I finally broke the code and found that I needed a much smaller fly to get any interest and was fast into fish after that. We totalled 56 (not a typo) Albies between the two of us. My friend was high hook with 34 landed on spin gear and I landed 22 fish 14 of which were on the fly. It was a day that I will not ever forget and one that you might only see once in a lifetime, I am very glad I decided to forego sleep to fish as I would not have had the opportunity to witness this awesome display in historical Montauk.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

(speechless!):eyecrazy:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2003, 11:20 AM

Juro,
Wait till Pete has his say it was so good that words cannot express the scene.

Mike M.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:03 PM

Old 10-10-2003, 12:12 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
It was...

OK

That's about it...
Old 10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

What Pete really meant was...

It was scarey NUTZO non-stop Biblical insanity with more hungry t-tailed larger-than-last-year Albie consumers than ought to be allowed!
Hang on Jaspir...we're headin' for the rhubarb!!!
In fact, OSHA is sending a team to make sure everyone is wearing eye protection and hanging on tight!

I saw a "fishin' technician" standing on the front of a sweet ride...big Honda purrin' (no smoke/no noise)...warm sun a gleamin'...his rod a bendin'...and his intensity and technique was astounding!!! He was REALLY spankin' those footballs!!!
Who was that masked man, you might ask?!
It could have ONLY been one of three people...
SuperMan, Jose, or Mike "Show-No-Mercy" Mayo!

Everything Mike said was/is true...maybe even a bit on the conservative side...I was AMAZED!
Besides the t-tailed-fast-movers there were a few striper dooda parades in close with so many fish going by that is looked a bit like feeding time at the hatchery...only this was major league Prime Time Saturday morning TV material....ONLY BETTER!!!

At times, Fly size and colour were important for entry into the big dance. When they got finicky, having the right ticket made all the difference...
For all the high-sticking I saw going on out there on so many boats, I was amazed that the piercing sound of shattering carbon/fiberglass was not more evident! Great dark potential!

I got a New England Grande Slam a few times over...only this time it wasn't the usual sea robin, spiney dogfish and seagull...the REAL THING!

From now on...Everthing else will be viewed through tainted glasses! :eyecrazy:
Old 10-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Fly chucker

It sounds like you guys have really raised the bar in a way....during great fishing days in the future, you may find yourselves comparing the action to what you've just experienced.

Everyone should be so fortunate to enjoy such a day. Great stuff!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you guys have really raised the bar in a way....during great fishing days in the future, you may find yourselves comparing the action to what you've just experienced.
DH,
We will undoubtedy be doing that for years to come. And funny you should mention it but that very thought came to mind during the carnage. Many of my cyber friends here and elsewhere were on my mind, I was truly and honestly wishing I could have brought them all out with me yesterday. I think it is a crime that all of you were not as lucky as Pete and I were yesterday, if only I could have beamed everybody on board yesterday I would have in a minute. When things like yesterday occur all i want to do is share it with everyone as it really is a sight to behold, and it is never as much fun to relate to others who were not there. It is my hope that all of you at some point in time will have the opportunity to witness something like we did, it is nature at it's finest, and I count myself as one of the lucky blessed few to have seen it. There were times when I just sat there and watched in amazement as the Albies just angrily slashed and strafed through the helpless bait balls, they can really be some nasty unforgiving predators given the chance. My friends reel is missing all of it paint where he was thumbing and palming it, and at one point he had me touch it and it was hot to the touch from the drag. It is need of some serious maintenance now after that abuse, I think the anti-reverse is completely gone.

Mike M.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:07 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

All I can say is...

Being a bait fish must really SUCK!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike...
Remember...Way back in the 1900's when Star Wars first came out?!
Luke Skywalker and Darth Vaider fighting in the Death Star with those nifty light/lazer sabers?!

You...Standing on the bow of your boat, fighting those footballs...slashing your 9wt SillyStick light saber from side to side...left to right and back...They didn't have a chance!
Well Luke...I mean Mike...You were a regular Arthur Fiedler up there conducting the Fat Albert Symphony!!! Nice job!!! Fish we will...

Those Eldorado Daze are precious and few...burned in our brains...somehow I guess it all averages out, but Prime Time moments make it all worth while...
We should'a had Outdoor Life cameras on board! Famous forever and legends in our own minds! Go Phigure!?
Old 10-11-2003, 02:13 AM

Pete,
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! You are one of a kind and I mean that in the best of terms. That was why we toil through the skunkings and bad weather days, to witness days like that make it all worth the effort. And may I add you were not giving an inch on those fish yourself, I hardly remember a time on Thursday when I looked over to you guy's and didn't see rods bent on your boat. Although using that super secret fly that Jack concocted was definitely cheating a bit :hehe: . I did notice more than a few video cameras in the hands of amazed anglers on Thursday, you know that the fishing is really, really good when devoted flyfisherman drop their rods and wield the cameras to record the action for later memory. I would not be surprised to see some of that footage show up at the winter get togethers. And we can both say that we were there to see it first hand. I have been hearing from reliable Montauk regulars that it may have been the best blitz that Montauk has ever seen, now that would really make me shiver with amazement to know that I hit it so perfect to see the best blitz of all time in Montauk. Even the guides are calling it Biblical:eyecrazy: . Great to fish with you and talk with you on the water that unforgettable day, seeing you and talking with you just made it that much more perfect for me.

Mike M.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:53 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Too Much!!!!!!!!!!!!Wish I were there.:eyecrazy:
Old 10-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Flats Rat

Awesome report!

Hey Mike - congrats on the new job too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.