Coffee Bean Fly for Carp?? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 08:47 PM
_

Coffee Bean Fly for Carp??

I was watching ESPN2 this morning and they aired a segment about fly fishing for carp in Houston's storm drain system. They were using coffee bean flies -- literally a coffee bean glued to a hook -- and were catching carp in the concrete "rivers". How bizarre!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Painted??

I've seen allot of carp fly's tied with some pretty weird materials an painted to match the local berry selection, most of them floating. Is this the case or were they just using a plain old coffee bean??

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:14 PM
_

He was using a plain old coffee bean glued to a hook. I don't think he said whether they float or sink, but it looked like he was fishing on the bottom. He did say that the scent seemed to attract them to the fly. I suppose this method could be considered to be bait fishing with a fly rod :hehe:

Q
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Fly chucker

The way carp fight, I don't think they need any caffeine!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Recent Member

That's a new one for me. I hurl realistic nymphs and get snubbed and they chuck glued on coffee beans, it ain't fair.

I have found that just a little puff or glob of white can often get a strike, especially in moving water. They seem to snatch up bits and test them for suitablity as food.

One technique that I tried for a few days this summer was tossing corn into the current above feeding carp until they got chummed up then chuck and duck a foam corn fly at them with a small split shot a foot above. They actually fought over the fly and would rise to take them out of anywhere in the water column.

It got too easy after a while but it was good fun for a while.

Tony
Old 09-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Smile

Well, carp are scavengers...I've only ever caught one and it was on a "Charly" style I tied for panfish. Yellow body, bead eyes, and yellow flash for the tail and wing.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Recent Member

I would call them opportunistic, not scavengers. I watch them actively hunt very active prey like crawfish and aquatic insects all the time.

I have had good luck with a crawfish pattern and tiny (size 20) nymphs lately. They seem to eat a lot of small bugs, I was surprised to have 20 inch fish taking such small flies.

In some waters they are almost purely predators.

I have fallen in love with carp as I have started to study them and chose to try to master fly rodding for them.

It is odd to have a 6 or 7 pound fish seem small.

Tony
Old 09-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Kodiak Alaska

I stand corrected...where on the Miss are you fishing for them??? I'm new to New Orleans and will be heading back there in a few weeks.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 09-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Recent Member

I am on the upper Mississippi, I fish them near Minneapolis above and below lock and dam #1.

Mostly I fish the feeder creeks of that watershed. I like small stream fishing (more like trout fishing I suppose) so I don't fish the big river much anymore.

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.