Chasing the dream - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

View Poll Results: How Many Steelhead Trips (multi-day) do you take a year?
0 2 8.00%
1 3 12.00%
2-3 6 24.00%
4 or more 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Chief of E.P.

Question Chasing the dream

Every year about this time we seem to start talking about steelhead destinations. That got me wondering how many trips we as steelhead addicts take on an average year.

I know I fish on average about 80 days a year for steelhead. The majority of these are 2-3 hour stints or single day trips on local rivers. I do however take 2-3 multi-day trips ranging from 3 or 4 to 9 days. Am I an anomaly or is this the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 04:50 PM
the speypages guy

I average a little less than 1/2 your days for steelhead, but most of those are 2 - 3 day trips with a few 4+ days as well. My drive time to quality water is such that it is pretty much impossible for me to work in 1/2 day or 1 day trips, except in the spring, which I need to do more of (this year's project!).
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 10-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sinktip,

Like you, I get out about 50 to 60 days per year and most of those are on local rivers. I do manage to get in 2 or 3 trips to other rivers that are from 2 to 4 days in length.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Used to be on the upper end of the scale, nowadays I'm barely on it

At least I enjoy every second I get!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:39 PM

The goal....

It would seem to me that the "Goal" here would be to make one trip of rather lengthy duration sometimes refered to as a "year". Seems like something always brings one back to the real world and then you have to rush out and start over again.
I get to fish alot of days and mostly multi day trips as I surely dislike commuting to the "Wet End" from Port Angeles so I camp out all winter in my trailer when the waters are inshape. Then I usually hang out at home on the weekends freeing up water for the weekend warriors in my abscence.
I think I need to start another trip soon!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:39 PM

I'm lucky, I guess...

I've got 3 very good streams and rivers within 50 miles of my home, and a LONG trip would be a little over 2 hours. In a pinch, I can drive 1.7 miles and be on a decent small trib. Within 1 hour, there are 23 tribs that I can fish. These are of varying size and conditions, and I haven't had a chance to explore 'em all yet.

Because of that, I don't have to take multi-day trips.

BobK
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I fish about 120 or so days a year with the vast majority of those days spent in pursuit of steelhead. I make countless trips to Forks every winter and a good number to various Columbia River tribs as well. I have yet to make it to the North Country eventhough every year I say "this is going to be the year."
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I don't live near any natural steelhead fisheries, so I must travel for my fishing. I take 1 steelhead trip a year and 3 for Atlantic salmon. Generally 1 week per trip.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:51 PM

do to work and the kiddies my days are limited. I am commited to a single trip every year that usually lasts about a week. I also gat a couple of other two day trips. I base trips on the number of hours to drive by the number of hours fished. I'll drive an hour to fish an hour and a half on occation. If the flows are low enough I have a river 20 minutes from the the office that I'll visit after work on occation. Otherwise nothing is real close.

andre
Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 PM

Thumbs up

Living in Portland I have tons of choices within 1-2 hours of my house. I usually do just day trips....but my favorite all around river, the Deschutes, is about 2 hours away and I usually do an overnighter. Also in Portland we are blessed with a couple good rivers in the metro area. When the bite is on, I have been known to take some long "lunch breaks"
Old 10-10-2003, 12:06 PM

used to fish the morn. then go to work;at my house,love the downsize thing,then every eve as i'm 5 miles from the river Rogue,have been my whole life,,,but i've been on a tear to get my home in shape this year,hey ,,,gotta go!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.