Saving (himidor) good Cigar question. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 10:00 PM

Saving (humidor) good Cigar question.

Love a good smoke, but find many of them come in a plastic wrapper (??? God only know why).But these seem to 'dry out' far faster than an 'un-wrapped' natural smoke.

Should I immediatly disgard the plastic wrapper before putting them in the humidor?
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-07-2003 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2003, 10:47 PM
President of CAC

If your humidor is working correctly, I would take the wrappers off. Also, A humidor that is well stocked keeps the cigars fresher than if you only keep it half full... I have always kept it packed and I would replace the cigars as I went. Separate the rows with the thin sheets of wood you find in most boxes... save them, or ask the place where you buy your cigars to give you several. Try and keep the different brands separated and be sure to separate any Cubans you have from the others. Overtime all your brands will smoke the same if they are close or touching each other. I am sure you know to use distilled water for your soaking mechanism, Fianally, rotate the layers periodically. Humidity is one thing but if you keep them in a "hot" place ,,, say ,in the summer, near a heat source or hot room, The bugs will start to hatch and make holes in the cigars. So be sure to always keep them in a somewhat cool place even though it may require you to fill the soaker more. If you have bugs,,, you don't need to dispose of the cigars which are free of bugs as many tobaconists recommend.. because the bugs don't eat in, they eat outward from the insides of the cigar. They will not effect those that don't... but over time ALL your cigars will have holes if not kept in the right temperature.

Last edited by striblue; 10-07-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 PM

Good points John. It worked for my humidor while I had one, it's much dryer here than out Esat so refilling was a pereptual task but well worth it. Then the other half stepped in and put a halt to any Cubano fumes in the house.... so I now only buy daily supplies at the local shop and only rarely at that....
But one last question John;does that mean that the cigars I brought East 3 years ago are gone?
Heck, I was planning on having one next summer when I get back there, but if they are full of Cubano bugs then I'll pass.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:06 PM
President of CAC

Pete, since I don't have a lot of them, I rarely smoke them... but I still have 2 of yours... still fresh and slightly spongy...perfect... one for you and one for me... ( after you resupply me... naturally )
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 PM

The bugs will start to hatch and make holes in the cigars.

Double Damn! Pulled a smoke tonight and a 'hole.' Have been there before and had zero clue on the why.

Wish I'd posted this a couple of years ago!!
fae
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 PM
President of CAC

Fred....just keep the humidity at between 70 and 80, that's good enough , but don't leave them in a hot environment. Max 75 degrees and 70 to 80 humidity and they can last you ten years or more. If you don't use distilled water, the tap water you use will make them rot with the minerals from tap water. You will have green fugal cigars. You can smoke the ones you have holes in ..just block up the holes... but if you start hearing "little" pops as you smoke it... I would chuck it. the pops are the active beetles that have not eaten though yet.

Last edited by striblue; 10-07-2003 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:55 AM

Hey, guys - a tip....

If you have a dehumidifier, you basically have a source of "distilled" water... basically, you are condensing water out of the air, and it's very similar to distillation. Most folks simply toss the water out, as the dehumidifier fills up - but it makes a good source for topping off car batteries, putting reasonably pure water into your cigar humidor, etc.

BobK
Old 10-08-2003, 09:11 AM

conventional wisdom is that most cigars get better with age (in the right environment). The plastic wrapper prevents this aging.
Another fishing/cigar idea: The Orvis clear fly boxes (that are kind of water proof) hold and protect three cigars perfectly. They have a bad smell when new, so I wash them first.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:34 AM
President of CAC

Eddie... Not too good an idea... you DON'T want the hummidor air tight... that's why wood is best.. there still needs to be some beathing... The hummidor is not that tight when closed. I suppose you could use it for short periods, but not long periods.By the way Eddie.. this thread might find it's way on another web site of dubious distinction....somewhere out west, I think

Last edited by striblue; 10-08-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM

my suggestion was only for a safe way to transport a few sticks to the fishing grounds. It works great.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:30 PM
President of CAC

Sorry Eddie..I misunderstood... yes... that would be a great way to transport them on the water... I was thinking you were talking about long term.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.