Sekiu in August... fantastic time! - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sekiu in August... fantastic time!

On my recent trip to Sekiu it was like slipping on an old pair of rubber boat shoes to step onto the rental kicker and have the motor start on the first pull at Curleys. My first time was 19 years ago, since then I've been salmon fishing the straits, Neah Bay, Swiftsure Bank and other spots that will remain un-named just about every year. For the first 12 of those years it was more regular - I lived out there. Still after moving to the other coast I am thrilled to get out again and keep in touch with a fishery that's really become ingrained in my life.

It really hasn't changed much. This is good and bad. Basically the fish are on top at first light and are running down 20-60 feet by mid-morning. The evening, after 4pm, more often then not produces some outstanding fishing on top as well and almost all my luck with feeder chinook has come in the evening on the fly.

Once the fish sound it's time to swap the line to a high density line and modify the retrieve to a snappy jolt with long intervals, using tide and wind to maintain a drift in likely alleys in the migratory highway. It's certainly not as exciting as a popper but I had no problem putting two salmon on using this technique within a few drifts mid-day on my recent trip. When the downrigger boats are hooking up, it's a good time to try this technique.

But you always learn something new, and this year it was the combination bucktailing / surface popper technique that Leland, Brian and Sparky used at first light. They rose some big, thick shouldered hooks to explosive takes.

What Neal, Calvin and I were doing worked well the day before at a later phase before the fish went down for the day, but the first light action was on top or nothing. We didn't start hooking up until the fish went deeper, when they stopped hooking up we started. We were doing a combination of bucktailing to search and casting in alternating swings to the aft into the propwash.

Once the fish started to descend we hooked up, much after the 'greaseliners' had their fun. Then the downrigger gangs started to hook up fast and furious around us. We switched over to the deep drift technique and hit fish quickly.

So in essence, there were three approaches, each had it's prime time and moments of effectiveness, all should be employed in a day's fishing IMHO:

1) first light surface splitting explosive dryline action

2) intermediate phase cast and strip and standard bucktailing mode

3) deep drifting shock and stop retreive

I was only rigged for 2 and 3, we caught fish when the approach was the right approach for what was happening with both. I did not have a floating line but observing what Leland had going in the early hours I tied a striper popper onto my intermediate line and while stripping it to keep the line from sinking BLAM! I hooked, fought and landed a beautiful wild coho that went back unharmed to fullfill it's destiny.

So next year, there will be a third line and spool on the boat. A nice phat phloater for the first light / last light phase of the saltchuck flyfishing experience.

I'll also fine-tune the deep drifter with one of the new advanced high density lines, like Rio's to make the descent into the 'zone' easier and the retrieve from the depths snappier.

My dream would be to spend an entire summer researching that fishery, documenting, mapping trends, discovering, and fishing!

Even though people are getting into it bigtime it's still so untapped, the great frontier for saltwater flyfishermen, really an outstanding fishery on the fly. I remember in the 80's being the ONLY angler at Neah Bay or Sekiu with a flyrod. I'm sure the hardcores were there too but if we didn't go the same day we'd never see another fly fisher. In fact it was common to hear a lot of ridicule from other boats... until the drag went off.

We did a coho clave back in the early 90's, Bob Schmelzle, Tony Gades, a chemist from UW, and I don't remember who else came. We were the only four with fly rods there. We kicked ass! I think we averaged 15-20 fish per angler per day. I kept a hatchery coho in the mid-teens, and there were several. The fish was cast to and sighted, and took on the first cast near the kelp. People looked at us like idiots the whole time. I made it a point to hook up near them if possible if they made a remark

Anyway it was great to be there again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dawn.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2238  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 07:11 PM

nice post juro, good to remember the past season. it was a good season when it came to numbers, but size of the coho was smaller (although there were certainly a few nice fish) and the pink numbers were ungodly (and it may sound terrible, but when you're not targeting pinks, they're the last things you want to catch tons of).

interesting to read about the fishery 20 miles east of the port i fish. the consistency of having to dredge is one definitely different factor. i find that the topwater fishing out in the ocean is more dependent on tides, a gradual decrease in thick schools of bait, etc. than time of day. i've had better luck casting poppers many days later in the day. while dredging is often necessary, often when you have by-catch (stinking mackerel) it's the last thing in the world you want to do. in fact, more and more my goto line is an intermediate vs. a heavier sinking line. of course, many days the weather makes dredging offshore impossible (strong winds) but the fish tend to stay up higher with the additional chop on the water.

looking forward to next season. hoping coho numbers remain high and the lack of humpy competition should result in larger silvers.

this year definitely had the most numbers of flyfishermen i have seen out of neah bay. probably will be a trend as the popularity of saltwater fishing increases in the northwest. the coolest thing was that the majority of those i saw fishing weren't bucktailing... and 2003 was the first year my boat saw zero bucktailing used (the thought crossed my mind on a few of the slower days, but i resisted the trolling demons <G>).

you would enjoy spending a summer fishing out here juro. you'll never have a better handle on the fishing or where they're at than after 4-14 straight days on the water.

i do think that the stronger currents formed by the narrowing of the strait increase the fly casting opportunities for shallower running coho.

chris
Old 10-08-2003, 07:46 PM

Great Picture...

What a beautiful sunrise! Tahnk you for sharing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.