Fly Fishing Forum banner

09/24/03 shorefishing RI

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I went down to the southern coast of RI today. Me being an old man takes quite a bit out of me alone, and driving round trip of 3 hours. Today same as last week had some fun. Got on the beach at Watch Hill at about 7AM drove up as far as Qunochontaug. The tide was near the top, and very dirty . Weeds piled up in some places a foot deep. I noticed that from the storms we have lost quite a bit of beach in some areas. The tide turned to run out at 10am, after the rip built up the fish showed I would say bass up to 15 or 20 lbs. The ones I caught were around 12 lbs on the boggie grip. Bluefish were also mixed in. These fish were up to about 8 lbs. They stayed up for almost 2 hours. I did see a couple of guys anchor out in the rip just beyond the rocks I didn't see them catching anything though. A couple of guys in an inflatable came right in through the fish putting them down and almost had a disaster as they ran their motor right onto a rock which stalled it in the rip, they did get it going and they went back out and came back in the proper area. Boaters, is too much to ask for you to stay far enough offshore so as not to interfer with the shore fishermen? You have the whole ocean.
From a good source Albies are running from Misquamicut to Weekapaug. I personally didn't see any where I was. The fish are there.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Art,

Great report, glad to see you hooked up with some linesiders. Looking forward to getting out to fish down there soon myself. Hope the water clears up soon. Maybe I willl see you in the surf or at a Rhody Fly Rodders meeting.

Tight lines,
Greg

#5 ·
Nice report Art - great pic too!

I gotta get back up there again soon too :D

Last September was a blast at Quonny with the Albies. Hopefully the action will last into October - (and beyond :D ) - this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.