Injured/Deformed fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
Injured/Deformed fish

I wanted to wait until I got the film back to post this so now that I have the picture I will go ahead.
I have caught quite a few cohos with deformed mouths, probably from rough releases or trawlers but never an atlantic. The picture isnt very good but you can see that she was missing most of her snout. Any ideas for what might have caused this? It was all healed and didnt seem to have caused any other damage, although maybe she wasnt in the right river... who knows.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 10:24 AM

She may have been an escaped aquaculture fish. Aquaculture fish often have damage on the snout and fins owing to high stocking density (contact with each other and the cages) and handling.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:22 PM

Escaped farm salmon

From the picture this fish seems to have nice fins, whole tail, no strange pigmentation and complete gill covers. Many of the signs of a typical farm fish is not present. Are there any fish farms in the area where the fish was caught?

Can it be a net wound or a result of attack by a predator at a early stage?

Regards

Knut
Old 10-04-2003, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
I am not sure how many fish farms are in the area but that fish was very healthy other than the missing chunk.
We looked it over pretty well before releasing it but didnt find anything wrong with it.
We are thinking that it might have been caught on a large hook at an early age or something like that. There are some nets at the mouth of the river but it had deffinately happen quite a while before we caught her.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:28 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
How about this striper? Caught by a friend three weeks ago at Nauset. Apparently three were seen at the MV Derby weigh-in a couple of years ago.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripersm.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2290  
Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM

That striper is amazing. It looks like a developmental problem because it is so symmetrical, like it is supposed to look like that. It did not seem to affect its success in life though. Are all these fish coming from the same area?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:41 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Rimouskois
The only ones I've heard of have come from the same general area (the cape, Vineyard, etc). There was some speculation that it might have been caused by PCBs, but scientists apparently disproved that some 7 years ago. This fish was a little undersized, 30" long and 8 1/2 lbs. They're referred to as "pug nosed" and apparently it's a naturally occurring birth defect.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:46 PM

This one was spotted off the coast of "Callie-forn-yah". Must be the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.