Swift Revival - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2003, 12:53 PM

Swift Revival

Just retured with a couple of days camping and fishing central/western MA.

Saturday we fished the Swift where I was pleasantly surprised to see the population of fish up to their old tricks. Sipping micros from the surface film and occasionally rooting around on the bottom for larger fare. And ignoring anything and everything attached to a line of course. Fish were extremely difficult but caught a few and enjoyed the surroundings.

Camped Sat night with the hopes of low water on the Deerfield. Fooled again by the dam operators however - who only run low water from 10 pm to 6am nowadays. Atttempt number 5 to fish the river this year thwarted by high water. Highly disappointing.

So back to the Swift on Sunday where we found fish much more eager to take a fly. Caught many, including some wild brookies, capped off by Talented Willie's 20 incher. We noticed a few of these fish were missing a lip or had some kind of deformity around the mouth. If you fish the swift, please consider barbless hooks and don't overplay.

All in all a great start to the much-anticipated fall trout season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 09:13 AM

Dave were there any swarms of flying ants around. Its about the time of year for them to appear.

I've noticed the lip scarring on fish there as well. It makes one reconsider fishing catch and release areas.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:44 AM

John,

No ants although I tried fishng a drowned one with no success. I did notice some big underwater bugs that I had never seen there before. They looked kind of like a cicada but flat. Acutally had one grab one of my flies...saw a couple of bold rainbows rooting around in the deadfall at my feet presumably looking for one.

That is the first time I had seen the lip scarring on multiple fish. One of them had a brassie lodged in there so bad that I didn't want to stress the fish any further by removing it. I think it has a lot to do with people using tiny hooks with barbs that are nearly impossible to remove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.