555 QD Line? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Middle Aged Member

555 QD Line?

Anybody tried this line yet? I'm thinking of picking up a 350 grn line. What's the tangle quotient relative to the 444 QD?
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been curious about this meeself, although the 444 QD 325 was easy to cast the running line was a bear in the basket even before it cracked. I think I'm done with that line, time to move on. I hear good things but I'm from Missouri when it comes to lines (show me).

For a 350 line, I've had phenomenal luck with the Rio 350 head. Prior to that they had the 'deep sea' line which I still have, several years old and still kickin'. It does have a very aggressive density comp tip though so you will want a heavier tapered leader to counter-balance the whip-over effect with any heavier grain sinkhead (anyone ever try the 425 grain QD?). The Rio DC Striper 350 sure works great with bigger flies. I want to try the 300 before the season's over, that energy transfer should be sweeter (keeping in mind that a 9wt by AFTMA is only 230-250 grains) for sand eel season in the rips

I am enjoying the Wulff saltwater triangle tapers as well, although I have not bought their sinking head because it is all full sink even the running line. Their intermediate lines absolutely rock though, and they have been great on the two-hander since they behave so nicely in the air.

Like Fred I hope someone reports on the 555 QD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Middle Aged Member

I think I'll have one for the rip trip. The 555 has a 30 ft head rather than the 24 ft of the 444 QD. A 300 grn is also available. Scott (Bears Den) suggested the 350 for the ten wt and also that the wieght per unit length would be closer to the 444 QD 325. So the sink rate ought to be about the same. I'll be throwing it with my ten weight.

I have a 425grn 444 QD that I just don't care to cast from the beach. Good line for fishing from a boat I guess.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:08 PM

Fred,

I have heard good things about the Rio QD lines. I have a 350 wonderline on my 9wt that is a joy to cast and shoot, but a monstrosity in the stripping basket. I think the Rios have a mono core and possibly a thicker running line which reduces coiling and twist.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.