Missing in the glossary - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2001, 09:59 PM

Missing in the glossary

I just checked out the flyfishing glossary recently put in the What's New section and noticed a number of the letters were not represented. The missing entries are under G, I, J, K, O, Q, R, U, X, and Y. Perhaps we can come up with some suggestions to add to the glossary and help make it complete.

My ideas:

G - Goop - stuff used to seal leaking waders also frequently found at the bottom of your chest pack or vest at the end of the season.

I - Irate - state of mind achieved when someone walks in front of you on the flats and stakes out a spot right in the fish's traveling lane.

J - Juro - famous fly fisher guy and mentor to many.

K - Kerplunk - the sound your spare spool makes as it falls out of your chest pack and into the water while you lean over to untangle your line from the prop.

Kersploosh - (related to Kerplunk) the sound made by an unattached anchor as it is thrown overboard by a frenzied flyfisherman.

O - Oof! - sound made by a flyfisherman when his sight is blocked by his stripping basket and he steps into a large hole in the jetty.

Q - Quantum cast - a highly technical cast designed to reach the breaking fish just a few feet further away than your longest cast. It has a 99.9% failure rate and often leads the next entry under R.

R - Rats nest - an unholy binding of fly line in a series of knots and twists that if truly understood would solve many of mankinds most perplexing mathmatical mysteries.

U - Upside - the thing most flyfisherman look for following 8 hours on the water with out even getting a hit and having watched bait and spin fishermen catch fish till thier arms are noodles. May also be sought after hearing the Kerplunk sound. (see above)

X - I'm at a loss here

Y - Yank - a technical term for and particular style of setting the hook. Often leads to a parting of the line and fly.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2001, 11:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Missing in the glossary

I know what you mean Hawkeye, it's missing quite a lot. It seems JOhn has gotten his site off to a good start, and I thought our participation might make the glossary a win-win for all of us.

I've sent him a few suggestions using the email link he offers. Maybe he will be the official Forum glossary meister! I hope that works for him.

Juro
Old 01-05-2001, 10:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
RE:Missing in the glossary

oh, no!!!!!!!! bad memory alert!!! kerplunk=the sound my reel(the one I though was in the reel seat) made as it fell into new bedford harbor... you never saw a faster 2 handed retreive!!! it's one time I was glad I don't have a large arbor, I finally snagged the reel half way through the backing!!! phew!!! Tom D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.