un-named spey - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2003, 11:27 PM

un-named spey

Just playing around with my new digital cam, grabbed aspey from the winter box. Never could come up with a name as I don't name most of them. This fly has taken fish in the Sauk & Skagit when the waters low and cold. I would not really consider this a spey fly it is more of a cross over pattern.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2003, 11:32 PM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Brian

I checked my fly box and I do not have one.

I guess I will just have to check yours.

OOPs I forgot about Bogie

Good to see you are back.

Aaron
Old 09-28-2003, 11:36 PM

Talking Very Cool!!

That looks like a keeper for winter fishing.
fae
Old 09-28-2003, 11:46 PM

Re: un-named spey

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander2
I would not really consider this a spey fly
Well, why not? It's a great spey fly! Very nicely tied as well!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:15 AM

un-named spey

Pastordt

Then a spey fly it is! I really think its all a matter of interpretation any way. I call them cross over patterns because of the atlantic salmon influences in the fly, its something I have been playing around with for a couple of years now after being inspired by Marc LeBlanc from Quebec. Once I get this digital thing down I hope to be able to post the whole series.

Thanks, Brian
Old 09-29-2003, 09:52 AM

Well Done!

Yo Brian,

I'm certainly no expert flytyer or critic but your post sure looks like a Spey fly to me. Nicely dressed bit o' iron, too!

I'm also a great admirer of Marc LeBlanc.

BTW - what brand-name (and specific color) of thread did you use to finish your head? Or did you use a colored varnish or laquer?

Again, well done!

Igor
Old 09-29-2003, 10:29 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
For those fans of Marc, here's one of his latest (although tied by me). It's called soft trigger. Wings are Dee style. I use turkey in large sizes, grouse tail feathers in small.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strigcopy.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2283  
Old 09-29-2003, 09:09 PM

Igor

The thread I used to finish the head is a light blue Danvilles 8/0. I have not really got into using different colored head cement's as of yet but its something I would like to experiment with in the future.

Thanks, Brian
Old 09-29-2003, 09:18 PM

Bill

That is a sweet fly! Very nicely tied as well, sort of a dee style dressing. It sounds like quite a few of us respect the talents of Marc, he is a tier thats not afraid to blend styles and come up with something new and creative.

Brian
Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Pullin' Thread

Brian,

Lovely fly.

I also like a red and blue fly in clear, cold water. (see the Cop's Lights thread for the red and blue spey I have been using for several years.) Another variation of this fly I would tie and use is green and blue done by simply using fl. green wherever you have used red. Also, a fl. yellow and green (use fl. yellow instead of red and green instead of blue) or fl. yellow (instead of red) and blue are effective in glacial water.

Keep using the colored threads instead of colored cement (unless you use black cement to finish the head on a full-dressed featherwing) because it provides a more subtle finish to the fly. And there are far more colors available in thread than in colored cement as well.

Does Bogie lay at your feet when you tie, or does she like to get into your materials?

wrke,

This is also a lovely fly that looks like it would be a winner in the low water of late summer and early fall.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:44 AM

Flytyer

I agree on using the colors of the thread for finishing the heads, you can get pretty creative with this if you want to by mixing colors which can be a lot of fun. As for Bogie the Newf she pretty much lays by my feet when I tie, but has been known to grab things like whole pheasant skins and slobber all over them. But its the cats that you have to watch out for they are far more dangerous they seem to be attracted to those pretty little feathers that cost a fortune, or that spey fly in which you just set the perfect bronze mallard wing!

Brian
Old 09-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Pullin' Thread

Brian,

I had to teach my Golden Retriever to leave the bird skins and necks alone. Cleaning dog slobber from them is not the most fun thing to do! Using colored thread also allows you to split the thread a-la Glasso and use the split thread as its own ready made dubbing loop. This little trick also works with floss and makes for a neater, tighter body that carries more color than a dubbing loop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.