Weekend Plans - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Middle Aged Member

Weekend Plans

Well I've negotiated a for bit of quality fishing time on Sunday in return for wielding a paint brush on Saturday. I'm thinking, weather permitting, of some bayside shoal hopping with the kayak. Anybody interested? Pete, how's the shoulder and neck?
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'm doing further field testing on the Atlantis Series rods on the backside beaches. Should be plenty of fish in the wash where bunker swarm.

The next prototype (final, I hope) is coming within days. Hope to finalize this design and get rods into as many hands as possible before October.

Gen III will sweeten up the current tournament rod action to be a little more forgiving for the new user's two-handed learning curve. We stayed up till 2am in Denver working out the math for this final tweak (well I just made runs to the bar while Nobuo did all the calculation ).

If anyone's interested in chasing the fall migration in the surf with 'the right stuff' let me know. I am confident that this next rev. will be "the one". I'd like to get everyone's feedback before production in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Flats Rat

Hey JUro

I'm planning to be on the Cape w/e of 27th Fri, Sat, Sun and am very interested
Old 09-10-2003, 09:40 AM

Great let's plan on a field trial, fighting the fish being an important criteria of course
Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 AM
President of CAC

Juro..I would love to try it also... stuck playing golf this weekend.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Juro
I love try a sprey rod. I've never fished one and I'll give you the novices point of view.
Larry
Old 09-12-2003, 06:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Juro, just so you know, the damn Easterlie has munged-up the outer beaches something awful. The blues are blitzing the beaches like crazy but finding clean water is difficult/near impossible.

I spent a stubborn couple of hours yesterday trying with the 2-hander near the end of the ebb, but nearly every cast was a half-pound of mung. I did hear that some guys did OK with the flies nearer to high. In the afternoon, the strike zone was 30+ yards out, and I just could not get my 2/0 offshore popper to most of the fish. All-in-all, I had quite the fly fishing retard day

On the plus side, I saw more bluefish yesterday, than I have ever seen in my life. Great tackle-testers if you can find clean water. Bring knotless leaders, wire and a camera.

Current forecast is for this East wind at least through Saturday.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at the weather forecast for easterlies and starting to get doubtful about it myself. I have an idea Jay, let's start a mung-cam along the outer beaches so we can see the thickness of the crap along the coast from mung-cam.com :hehe:

Maybe it'll be worth the ride up to Herring Cove, or else just play with the bunker entrapment scenarios on the lee side. I found some heavy fish on the Pleasant Bay side before leaving for Denver, the cooling has brought fish into estuaries where the bunker wander.

Might be fun going to the west end ditch, cape side, and trying for a hardtail from shore with the long bombers too.

I have a few other scenarios in mind, but they won't put the big guns to the test like Nauset. Maybe discretion will be the better part of valor this weekend and I'll work on my pile of backed up tasks... NAH! Winter's too close to be squandering a day. There's got to be a spot...
Old 09-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Pencil me in.....

Low tides are just about at the right time at the ditch this weekend
Old 09-12-2003, 05:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
I highly recommend fishing over chores

But when you see the scads of fish busting in the red water, it takes will power to move on. Apparently, more will power than I possess....

Is there any chore worse than cleaning mung off fly line?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:33 AM

Didn't do anything more than a little wishin' this weekend, up to the eyeballs in backlogged duties and unexpected emergencies. Looks like the best approach is to let the surf simmer down for a few days or focus on the bays and inlets. I hope to sneak away mid-week or next weekend.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Middle Aged Member

Picked up a couple of schoolies in the creek. Tailing cookie cutters but not the 25 to 30 inch cookie cutters of two weeks ago. On the beach before first light but didn't bother to stop for the kayak. Had a debate with myself as to whether I should wait for the incoming to get going or go for a ride. Took the obligatory ride to Chatham and debated whether to go to South Beach or not (this was about 10:30). One car on the refuge end of the causeway so probably would have been uncrowded and the tide was early incoming. Opted to make my way west with a stop at Sandy Neck or Old Sandwich harbor with the idea of an early afternoon arrival home to the delight of the missus. Went by Sandy Neck without a look figuring I've never fished Sandwich and I should have a look. Got there and a boardwalk festival was taken place. Oh well. Nice day for a ride anyhow and home by 1:00 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.