Xmas presents? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2000, 02:49 PM

RE:Xmas presents?

Oh Yeah, Forgot:

McClane's "Field Guide to North American SaltWater Fish"
&
D. Ross's "The Fisherman's Ocean"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2000, 05:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

McClane's one of my heros. I still read the full encyclopedia even though it's falling apart. Did you know his photographer lives on the south shore? I have been trying to interview him for a couple years. This spring should do it.

I think the digression to tying is appropriate, considering the time of year. Can't wait for the clave!
Old 12-27-2000, 06:13 PM

Juro -

Here's an idea about an interview, J. Edson Leonard. He must be near 90. Still lives in Barrington, RI. Has written about 8 books about fly fishing. Some notable patterns like the Edson streamers. Art Buron has some ole VHS tapes of him doing a tying class. He used to draw each step on a postor pad first. Drawing - right up your ally. He comes to a Rhody Meeting now and than. Tradition is sometimes overlooked today which I feel is important to our art.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:24 PM

A return trip to the Cape & the Rip's !
Wow !
Probaly next September or late August for at least 2 weeks, hope to catch up to ya'll soon.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:32 PM
President of CAC

Pete, I look forward to seeing you on the Cape, and for an extended period... We need to really get Keith of the Rip Ridder nailed down for "several" rip trips. Take care and I have some great cigars waiting for you.
Old 12-28-2000, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

for tying a full grown bunker, look at this link
http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/flyconomo.html
John, this is the one I was tying at the UFT meeting, can be made as long as you dare, and vary the colors. not too bad to cast. we tied them about 10-12 inches long. here's another: http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/flybunkerherring.html
oh yeah, my wife got me a nice pair of tying scissors,light gray neck for saltwater flies, a box with a beautiful salmon fly shadowboxed on the cover.a noaa radio, a cool tide clock, and the inlaws came thru with an orvis gift certificate.(geez, I did better than I thought, while I wrote it out I was amazed) Tom D
Old 12-28-2000, 02:07 PM
President of CAC

Tom, thanks for the sites. You did alright ,didn't you ,for Xmas. Not bad. By the way I finished 6 Decievers last night and will tackle some polar fiber clousers just to see how they come out.My big concern with the Bunker is how to tie the polar fiber to the hook without bunching up the thread on the hook, or make it look patchy.
Old 12-28-2000, 09:07 PM

John - I've found the following techniques work well when dealing with polar fiber:

1. After clipping the fibers from the mat, take hold of both ends and pull away at the base (the end that was previously closest to the mat). The short fibers will come out and what you're left with are the whispy long fibers that won't ball up when tied in to your pattern du jour.

2. After each tie, take a small comb (an eye brow brush is ideal for this) and comb the full length of the polar fiber. This not only removes any excess fuzz, but also blends the two clumps together and gives the fly a full, yet translucent look.

3. Stay away from extra long polar fiber. I've found it to be real crap, lacking all the properties that make its shorter cousin such a great material. YMMV.

Happy tieing!
Al
Old 12-29-2000, 11:11 AM

T'was a great Christmas for fishing stuff for me. I received polarized glasses, a vest, a great lounging camp chair, the book "Crosscurrents", and to top it all off a Sage DS2 990 which I will trade for a DS2 1090. Is there any way to encourage our striped friends to start migrating back up our way a little early?

On the tying component of this thread: Juro mentioned my ribbon surfer bunker fly and while it catches fish well it has a disturbing casting flaw that I can't seem to lick. With the back and false cast it spins and twists the tippet and leader something fierce so be forwarned and I would appreciate any ideas on how that might be remedied - I'm thinking about fabritac-ing the ribbon pieces together but I'm not sure that will work.

Gregg
Old 12-29-2000, 11:21 AM

Gregg,

Have you thought about attaching a small barrel-swivle to the eye of the hook, or would this mess up the action of the fly?
Old 12-29-2000, 11:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gregg -

Congrats on the new gear!!! You now only have to donate your museum piece reel to the Chatham Anglers Club to get a matching Lamson LP4.0 (John's a great guy, eh?). I told Mike to get the 10wt. It's a sweetheart.

As you may know I have also been playing with gill plate emphasis techniques, even as far back as the coho days out west... and that's where I found something really cool for this application. To serve the same purpose for coho bucktails (now mostly synthetic, formerly polar bear) there is a company in Washington state that manufacturs perfect baitfish heads that slip onto the head of a fly during the tying process.

I just talked to them and will be following up with the owner to talk about getting a bunch to try out. I think you'll be impressed... stay tuned...
Old 12-29-2000, 01:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Al, I talked to the owner of the company that makes polarfiber about the trouble we've all had with the long stuff. he told me there was(at this point) no way for them to stretch the extra-length by machine( the short polarfibre is stretched on the mat backing). I asked what I could do to rectify that. he said to stretch it by holding the bunch you want to tie with in one hand and grabbing the other end in a needle-nosed pliers and flipping it over to lock the fibers in the jaw, then pull evenly. it is a bit of a pain, but it does make a huge difference. Tom D
Old 12-29-2000, 03:49 PM
President of CAC

Al, thanks for the tip on Polar fiber . I can see there is alot to learn in this catagory. Most of my flies have been clousers and decievers but I have made them in all sizes. I just finished my March and April schoolie group and will do some surf candies tonight. I have a very small deciver for schoolies ,only 1 and one half inch long on a #3 hook. I can never find these but I am sure they will be great in the early spring. Greg... Juro is right, Al will make the exchange for the reel at the tying clave, and since you love it so much you can still "borrow" it from my mantel, but not alot and you would have to return it.Ha!
Old 12-29-2000, 08:45 PM

Tom - thanks. I'll try that, though I have to admit I have my doubts. It's not just that the long stuff is kinky. It seems to lack the luster and suppleness of short polafiber...

Gregg, I will mail out the Lamson to you since I cannot make the Stony Brook clave (my son turns three on the 26th and we are having his party on the 27th). If you could bring to the clave the Winchester for John that would be great.
Old 12-30-2000, 08:29 AM

I got money from SANTA, which I got my self a new
STU APTE fly rod from DIAMONBACK. BUT, one of my customers wives can in an bought he husband a new
AIR-T-HART fly reel w/ spare spool, an then she said she was sending him to ARAZONIA fishin for 2 weeks.
I thing thats the best one Ive heard so far.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.