Frankly, an impossible job... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Unhappy Frankly, an impossible job...

Okay I"ll say it, WDFW enforcement is charged with an impossible mission. Their mission would still be tough with three times the current number of officers.

Two of these fine men visited me this morning to discuss what I percieve to be illegal activity on my local river. Yeah, I can scream bloody murder over all the poaching and such, pointing the finger of blame their way and all the while knowing THEY aren't doing any fishing today. The fault really lies with me and you. It is from our collective mass that the offenders come. It is from our inability to join as a single voice to pressure the agency management and state legislature that the problem lies. And I knew it all along.

Nice guys; I hope I can better help them help me in the here and now as we tumble towards tomorrow.

mmm

I'm going to have to get the mellow fellows to work these issues out, but first - to the store for munchies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs up

Alright!!!

So what happens next? Those two fine gentlemen returned (covered with sweat and debris) to tell me they just wrote 3 tickets down at "my" hole to some locals with several humpies stashed in the bushes. YES!

mmm
Old 08-31-2003, 03:28 PM
Junkyard Spey

HeyMMM, That is great news. Did they think the time was well spent?

I had a positive experience with the local IDFG officers this week as well. It did not involve poaching or fishing but it was very positive never the less.

What time are you getting here with the munchies?
You've got mail. Take care, MJC
Old 08-31-2003, 04:13 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Quote:
Originally posted by MJC
Did they think the time was well spent?
They both were wearing a smile and very pleased with themselves (obviously, so was I). And while one officer, Darrel, is a fly fisherman the other, Stormy in this report, was into bait and the other black arts.

And I believe one of the offenders frequents this forum, but shall go nameless for lack of evidence to support my hunch. [edited out any identifiers - mmm]

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr Mustard; 08-31-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:24 PM

MMM, "I feel your pain ...." But I'm still

amazed that Washington doesn't do what Oregon does. (Should say I lived in Wash. State for a looooooooooooong time and had no idea what went on "south of the boarder." )

Pass a law that empower the WSP to join in the fun and games!!! The game guys/gals are few and far between ... WSP is all over hell and creation.

And they have guns for the real twits.

30'ish years ago, before I was an American Cit., I can remember fishing in a town 'up stream' from Monroe. The owner of the restaraunt was also a Just. of the Peace. WSP guy would bag some clown who would 'DEMAND INSTANT JUSTICE."

So were sitting there eating ham, eggs, and hash browns and COURT IS IN ORDER!! (No shi.!!) Next bellow was to the tune of "whose a registered voter?" (Being a Canadian, I couldn't raise my hand, but knew what was comming next...)

A 'jury of his peers' would pick up their plates, move to the 'dinning room' area and court was in session. (Keep in mind he was also the cook )

"Justice" was soon served ... along with the next breakfast orders. So we're all incontext.. the Officer didn't "win" all the time. There were a few 'what the he..'s, you stopped him for What???' Case dismissed.

Ah Monroe, Washington mannnnny years ago. Fishermen stopped, ate, spent money in town .. the 'skiers (sp?)' just drove through .. who got the tickets for exceeding the 25 mph?? One guess only.

Life was pretty darned good.
fae
Old 09-01-2003, 11:29 AM
JD

Talking ever see the cartoon?

"NO a jury of your peers does not mean they can be bluegrass banjo pickers":hehe: I guess you would have to be a bluegrass banjo picker to fully appreciate the humor behind that one. Suffice to say I thought Fred's comment about court now being in session was so funny I read it two or three times. Where is this place Fred? They must a 1950 Ford with a gum ball machine mounted on the top for a "cop car" ROFLOL (we need a new smilycon)

><///(",>
JD
Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

MMM,

Glad to hear you finally got some results up there.

K
Old 09-02-2003, 03:24 PM

A couple noble protectors of the local fish and wildlife mentioned to me that poachers of pink were rampant up river this long weekend and their fingers were sore from writing and handing out pages from their special tablets.

Perhaps the lack of enforcement is an illusion of shrouded minds behind unseeing eyes. I'm glad they found time aside from their busy nightlife along the back roads of ill gotten game.

Good work boys. This is a busy season.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs down

About an hour before dark my son and I went for a walk along the river, finding numerous dead salmon on the banks. The fish were all females and had been stripped of their eggs - All in an area closed to the taking of salmon, year round. Skagit's good-ole-boys keeping busy...?

mmm
Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Those "cats" need the eggs for steelhead. We all know how well steelhead will take a glob of well cured eggs.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Pullin' Thread

MMM,

They were not salmon carcasses. Remember that this is an illusion, poachers would never just take the eggs and toss the carcasses since that is a waste of protein.

Must be tribal fisherman. But wait! The tribes don't fish above Hamilton.

Hmmm.... Perhaps they were whitefish you saw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.