Engine Choice - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Engine Choice

I have finally reached the most expensive part of building my boat - Engine choice.
I am torn between three engines.
All are 25 horse power.
A Merc Bigfoot 4 stroke, Tohatsu 4stroke and a johnson 2 stroke.
Tohatsu is the lightest of the 2 4strokes Mercury has a better gear ratio and service availability, The Johnson 2 stroke is rock solid but has no assisted tilt mechanism.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Boat will have to be launched in the spring.
++++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2003, 09:28 AM

I think that Yamaha has the best reputation/re-sale. The make the top end of the Merc. four strokes.
Honda should also be considered.
Some thing to consider is if the valves are in a pocket in the cylander head. his protects them if the timing belt skips. I think Hondas and Yamahas are.
A poster on another site had MAJOR problems when he hit a rock.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Recent Member

Unless weight is a big consideration, consider a Honda. Untouchable quality, dependability and durability.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:19 PM

Longrod-- Unless I'm mistaken, you're building a Bateau.com OD 16, right?

In such a light boat, I don't think you'd be happy with the Merc Bigfoot, which is designed for pontoon boats and heavily loaded craft. I expect you would be disappointed in the top end speed, and probably speed through the range as well.

If the Johnson is an older motor, pre-Bombardier days, I would be careful as the OMC bankruptcy was a result, in part, or quality issues with their engines. I think Bombardier is now making replacement parts on a limited basis, but if something goes wrong, then you might be stuck with a motor that can't be repaired. If it's a new motor, then it should be a good one, except for the tilt business. Trim-and-tilt is great for fine-tuning motor performance and running in shallow stuff, but if the motor has a shallow-water drive option, and you do most of your running in deep water, a non-trim and tilt engine might be a good choice.

I have a lot of respect for Tohatsu motors after running one for six months. A lot of work boats in this area are now running Tohatsu OBs, for whatever that's worth (it might just mean that they're inexpensive). For service concerns, you have the added benefit of getting service from Nissan OB dealers since the motors are basically identical.

I've run Yamahas and I like that brand, but they cost more. I've run Suzukis, and I like those motors as well. Honda has a pretty good reputation, but there were a few years in the early '90s when I heard quality complaints against some of their kicker motors.

My .02.

Keith
Old 09-01-2003, 09:09 PM

My .02...

Longrod, I have been around a fair number of outboards (and inboards) I have been very pleased with the time I have spent with the Honda 4 strokes, the quiet is the key for me. If you buy the two stroke Johnson be sure to wear hearing protection as the noise is enough to cause a "defecit" in your hearing equal to George Bush's.
Seriously the better fuel economy and quietude , not to mention better " pick up and deleivery" make the Honda your best choice even if it cost a bit more it is worth each and every dollar.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:47 PM

Outboard motors

As a guide these are things I consider when buying a new motor:

1. I can get a Mercury for very little $$, but I have to sell it every year because of their poor warranty. Yamaha costs more but gives me a 3 year warranty and will last me 5 years, about 2500 hours. So Yamaha is actually cheaper.

2. Service and maintenance is very important, so make sure there are dealers close buy that have parts when and where you need them.

3. To me one of the most important things to consider is a motors' re-sale value and used Yamahas are always in great demand.

4. Be sure you consider and compare the weight, if you pole in shallow water like I do it makes a huge difference.

5. Try to buy the smallest motor you can get away with, almost all the guides I know wish they had a smaller motor.

Good Luck, Mel
Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 PM

Honda and Yamaha outboards

All,
To be fair I will give Honda and Yamaha another look and put price on the back burner for the time being. I know several people who own each and will talk to them.
Thankyou,
++++
Old 09-05-2003, 12:59 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Go Yamaha!!!!!!!!!

I've heard, and had, nothing but good things with Yamaha's. My Dad has an 8hp Yamaha, and it's the best kicker I've ever used. Well worth every cent he paid. I've also run a few of my friends Yamaha Jet pumps. MAN, those are nice. I grew up running merc or evinrude pumps. Beat them hands down (even the newer ones I've used). I like the Honda's too, but Yamaha for this kid next sled (hopefully VERY soon)
Old 09-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Honda,Honda,Honda!!!!! I have 2 30 hp. and 130 hp. can't beat the reliability and the economy.....PERIOD! Never had a problem with either of them and the 30 is 8-9 years old. The 130 has over 700hrs. on it with no issues. Cost a bit more but will pay for itself in the first season. The 30 I used to carry 2 six gallon gas cans and never dipped into the second one. Could get 80 mi. or more on just 6 gals. hard to beat.

Mike M.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Recent Member

Striper's so right. I forgot to add fuel economy to the list of superlatives on my earlier post.

Everything else being equal, my Honda's fuel consumption is almost half that of it's Evinrude predecessor.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:31 PM

Yahama has NO EQUAL, imho!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.