Kudos to two superb manufacturers - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 PM

Kudos to two superb manufacturers

It is the nature of man to register complaints immediately, and to praise less promptly, if at all. Respectfully, this is an opportunity for board members to share a story of excellent service from a supplier in the fly fishing industry, in the USA and every other country.

Let's give credit where due. In that vein, I post the following two examples of great service experienced in recent weeks.

First, RIO PRODUCTS corrected a problem with a couple of tips--corrected the problem in two days! Many thanks to Mr. ZACK DALTON and Mr. SIMON GAWESWORTH of Rio Products, Idaho, USA.

More recently I returned a THOMAS & THOMAS DH 1409 for repair of a section broken by an associate while attempting to land a Dean River steelhead at his feet by holding a vertical rod. Duh! The repair was made in six working days! Hearty thanks to Mr. BOB DAVIS of Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers, Massachusetts, USA.

Do fellow board members have positive comments to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs up

The Creek Company.

In late spring I purchased a couple economy pontoon boats from a couple different suppliers and found when assembling them that an oar wouldn't connect. I quickly e-mailed The Creek Company my problem, they e-mailed back to get my address and four days later I received a new oar replacement - All on my word, alone, having asked for no receipt or proof of purchase. The price of the boats was great, the expedited service was super!

mmm
Old 08-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bob,

I have also experienced great customer service from T&T and RIO. Sage and G.Loomis have also provided first rate customer service to me. As has Thomson Vise Company and Dyna King. And those of us who have dealt with Speybum's River run Anglers also know about the exemplary customer service he provides.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:13 AM

I/ve "tipped my hat"before on the Board

and I'll add another.

The Talon Rod Company (in Woodland, Washington?). A few years back I was on the hunt for a looong (12' if I could get it) rod for float fishing. Hit the wall in finding such a 'boy toy,' but Talon made as close to what I wanted as I could find on the web.

Called the company to see if they made such a rod; 'only in a spinning reel configuration ... I wanted one to use a level wind reel. Fellow who answered the telephone call (whom I later found out was the owner/president!) said 'no sweat,'we'll build you one.

'This involved all new guides, handle configuration (spinning vs. level wind), etc. Lovely rod when it arrived, still major go to rod for specific areas of the Rogue when the fish want to hug the far bank. (Which is exactly where the buggers are at Casey Park ... still, poop!) You can reach them with a spey rod, but not long enough to do any "reel" good. And best of all, the cost of the 'custom rod' was the normal price. All-round good folk!

Next trip, one less spey rod in the car and the float rod goes into action.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 AM

LAMSON - experienced some corrosion on my Velocity and had the reel back in 5 business days. Looks like all new parts...
Old 08-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Junkyard Spey

Good Customer Service

One of my customers broke the tip section of a Heritage spey rod I sold him. He brought it in on a Sat. and I called Phil Castleman of Castle Arms on Mon. The guy was fishing with a new tip the next Sat. I thought that was great customer service from Phil.

Rejeff Sports also comes to mind as being top of the line for customer service. Tim and Catherine are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with and Jarrod is the main man when it comes to getting your products on the way.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 AM
JD

Kudu's for Bauer reels

I can't say enough for Bauer Reels. After discovering that spare spools are not such a good idea for Spey rods, I talked to Jon Bauer at a trade show about fitting some spare spools with new frames.

These were for Makenzie M-7 and M-5 reels. The M-7 is no longer being made and the M-5 is now called an M-6 SuperLite and has a vented frame.

"Sure, just send in the spools and we will check everything out and fit them to some frames. Cost will be the price of a new reel, minus the price of a spare spool."

This is custom service we're talking here folks. On reels that are basically out of production.

Got the reels back yesterday. The M-7 is still an M-7. The old M-5 is now an M-6 SuperLite with vent holes. Plus they went through and updated all the drag parts and anything else that had been changed since I first bought mine.

Any time I have seen Bauer Reels at trade shows, or talked to them on the phone, it has always been Jon or Barbara Bauer themselves. They know their product, they stand behind it, and they treat you like you were their best customer. It just doesn't get any better than that.

><///('>
JD
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM

Two More Excellent Suppliers-Sage & Burkheimer

Kudos to Burkheimer for replacing the broken butt section of my 9143 3 piece in three weeks, door to door.

And highest marks are due Sage for a six-day, door to door, repair of a broken 9' 6-weight 4-piece XP rod.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:55 PM

Anyone else notice how the Fly-fishing industry in general has stellar customer service?
I can't think of another industry where a "unconditional lifetime warranty" is a common phrase.
Hats off to all of the companies who are making good stuff and backing it up.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:44 AM
JD

unconditional lifetime warranty

I can't think of another industry where a "unconditional lifetime warranty" is a common phrase.

Martin guitars and Gibson musical intruments have unconditional lifetime warranties. Possibly other manufacturers as well. But these are some I know of.

Lets see here, price for a good fly rod, including lifetime waranty less than $1000. Martin D28, less than $3000. Chevy Suburban or Ford Explorer? One hell of a lot lot more, like 30 fly rods or 10 guitars. Lifetime warranty? Forget it. Is there something wrong here or what?

><///('>
JD
Old 09-21-2003, 06:15 PM

Yeah.
I work in the ski industry, and high-end gear runs about the same as the top-end flystuff. However, NONE of the ski companies offer warranties except for the cursory/mandatory "workmanship and materials" that everything has. I really like the idea that when you spend the $$$ for really high-end gear, you should only have to do so once.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Loon Outdoors & Lamson.

Loon head cement started clouding up on my flies when they got in the water; called them up. Three days later I get four bottles of head cement--black, clear, yellow and red--in the mail.

The retrieve knob on my Litespeed 4 was sticking; sent it to them on Wed., back in my hands on Saturday.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Kudos, etc.

J.D. raises an interesting point about a possible relationship between Martin and Gibson guitars and good fly rods...any thoughts as to the connection between these seemingly disparate artifacts of our society?

(BTW, in the interests of truth in advertising, I own many fly rods, one Martin D-28, and aspire to a Gibson arch-top of some sort.)

Ain't philosophy grand?

Best regards,

-Doc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.