This just in... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 PM

This just in...

The Natives in Spences Bridge have fenced off the Graveyard I know many people who are dying too get in there and now they will have to go somewhere else!!
Seriously I received this report today a longtime Thompson angler who is a close associate of mine was up there Sunday to fish in the week long King Salmon opener and saw the fence and was denied access. Veiled threats of bolt cutters and wire cutting partys abound.
The T is suffering from the same disease as the rest of the planet to many want to partake of the good life. Maybe they are interested in creating revenue by charging addmission I guess a fence would be the first step.
$20 a day to the Province and now maybe fees for each hole, where will it end? I know where it will end for me and it will probably be in a "Graveyard"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 11:01 PM

Good God!

This is one of the primordial places I learned spey casting/fly fishing as a kid (close to 50 years ago).

The Almighty Dollar sounds like it's just raised it's ugly head again.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Veiled threats of bolt cutters and wire cutting partys abound.
That is stereotypical of the spoiled brat attitude rampant amongst many members of the fly fishing community. Isn't it reasonable to respect anothers property and their management decisions?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs down

Plunker,

That sentence was rhetorical.

You are a troll looking to start a flame war.

You are also a bigot:

Bigot (Scroll to bottom.)

Go away.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr Mustard; 08-27-2003 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:10 AM

That would be an assumption....

Well Plunker no offfense taken here, but the great majority of anglers fishing for Kings in this week long opening are using bait and level wind reels. They are probably stereotypical too but I will let you be the "Judge " you seem to have this all figured out better than us fly guys.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Chief of E.P.

Ok folks, play nice

Please do not allow your bp to go up over my buddy Plunker's posts. He means well but suffers from being a controversy vampire. He feeds off ruffling feathers. Ignore him and he will likley go back to sleep for a while.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:46 AM

Good Morning

To you too
Old 08-27-2003, 10:52 AM

Can we only dream of the past

I was up to the Campbell river last week and visited the Haig-Brown house and grounds. I got to walk his trails and see a 15 minute vedio of him and talk to some of the locals who knew him. His beloved waters were full of pink salmon. Needless to say it was shoulder to shoulder with fishermen and some snaggers to boot. It was not the quality experience I imagined as I read and reread his books. Jerry
Old 08-27-2003, 01:00 PM

Let us not put my good friend Plunker down too much. Let us remember that in some ways Plunker's logic is a reminder to us fly fishermen that our stuff can stink too. One of plunkers main conplaints in life as far as I know is the C&R on wild steelhead when runs are as bad as they are is an ego trip. Have we not just had the discussion of the dangers of C&R on wild steelhead and warm waters? None of us will agree with Plunker on his bonking of wild fish when legal. Though I doubt that Plunker has bonked a wild fish on his local river in a long time.

I don't want to put words in the Plunks mouth but I believe his belief is if runs are stressed why should anyone be fishing for wild steelhead period. Three to 10 % accidental kill rate is too much in Plunkers thinking. Maybe some day we who believe in C&R, gear and fly both will have the courage to say enough is enough leave the fish alone. But a lot will have to change period for that to happen.

You can go over to some of the conventional fishing sites where the far right fishermen have the mentality of morons but at least Plunker thinks and that can be a challenge to all of us here if we let go of the ego thing. Plunk don't go away, please stop in from time to time and stir things up.

OC
Old 08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A fisherman was miffed and vented (common), another jumped to the conclusion that it was an elitist statement (also common).

Neither were completely right since (a) land owners do have the right to deny access in a free country and (b) all manner of angling is equally denied from access and it has nothing to do with fly fishing per se.

Yet both were fully justified to express their views, which they did, and so here we are.

So anyway... have the fall caddis started to crawl onto the rocks yet?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:26 PM

Yah Shure..

Dey be crawlin around on de rocks!
Old 08-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Junkyard Spey

[QUOTE FROM OC]Plunk don't go away, please stop in from time to time and stir things up. [/QUOTE]

Hey OC, I thought that was your job.:hehe: :hehe:

Last edited by MJC; 08-27-2003 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:17 PM

Who was a plunker first?

I was just wondering how many flyfishermen caught their first steelhead plunking (on eggs no less)? The first winter flyfishermen I ever saw was in the early 70s. Jerry
Old 08-27-2003, 06:11 PM

There are no riparian rights in BC. The natives may own the land that leads down to the river from the highway, but the river is still accessible by walking along the bank from the Hotel run--just stay below the high water mark.

Theocritus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.