flylines - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 03:13 PM

Question flylines

has anybody tried the 555 wf floating , is it as bouyant as cortland says. I'm looking fo a new line - the s.a. xps sinks after about 3 months, same with the wonderline, I like the rio steelhead taper but theres too much belly for small to med. streams. I don't want to buy a line just to find out it sucks, I want something that floats high for quick line recovery , loads quick and shoots like an arrow (don"t we all) any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Pullin' Thread

Why not use the RIO Windcutter for single-hand rod? Or the RIOGrand from RIO? The RIOGrand will defintely load a rod at short to medium casting distances. And the Windcutter is a superb casting line that is very good at distance casting as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2003, 09:03 PM

Not really....

I get mad at lines that don't float well - all the way to the tip! Tried 555, and my personal impression is it's not better (as far as I can tell) then the others.

And, I even put a couple of coats of aqua-seal on the tip of the line/leader connection. and clean/dress them before and after each use. I'm still not happy with so-called "floating" lines.

BobK
Old 09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Recent Member

My 5wt 555 isn't a huge improvement over other lines for bouyancy (maybe just slightly better than the 444). The weight of a tapered leader w/o floatant does drop the tip section under the surface. By treating the last 6' feet of line and the first foot or two of leader with floatant I get a pretty good float (but that would work for any line). The 555 is stiff and shoots well but the stiffness causes considerable memory. For my primarly stillwater use if I strip 50' of line onto the apron it looks like I just dumped a new package of line out of the box. Once the memory is removed by stretching/heating the line with long strips through a tightly gripped hand it does handle better than any other lines I've used (444, Orvis Wonderwhy, SA GPX). Minimal tangling and knots. My next try will be a Rio. What the heck!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:55 PM
any fish, any time

In an era of fancy lines, there are two standby lines that I like:

Orvis Hy-Float - why did they stop making DT versions?
Cortland 444 SL - floats high, much slicker when wet

I also have a RIO classic, which casts great, but has too much memory and doesn't float as high as the others
Old 09-03-2003, 04:20 PM

I like the 555 except for the memory issue, which can stink if it's really cold. Mostly it shoots quite well. It's also quite a bit more durable than the 444. I'm going on 1 3/4 seasons with the 555 whereas the 444 was one and done on my everyday 5 wt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.