The time approaches... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 04:43 PM

The time approaches...

for my steelhead year to begin. I don't like to think of it as based on calendars, but rather spawning runs, so my steelhead year starts when I first wet my line in September in BC, includes a trip or perhaps two to Washington in the winter and ends here in southeast Alaska in late May and sometimes as late as the first week in June when the numbers of new fish to be had become too low.

The mornings have been cool lately and even during the afternoons in this spell of unusually clear weather, you can feel the unmistakable presence of fall in the air. The Northern lights have been dancing in the night sky for the last three nights to reinforce what I know with their displays of magic.

Soon, I'll load my beater on the ferry bound for Prince Rupert. I'm pulling lines and fly boxes and assembling my gear... My mind is filled with images of skating flies and bulges and boils. Not much later in the year, another trip further south and by the time I'm back from that one, my home rivers should have fishable numbers of steelhead when the weather is not too cold or too wet to allow me to greet them. And then the weather will begin to show the promise of spring and new fish will begin to show to finish the year.

The anticipation things to come and those signs that nature gives to show that it is starting make this a special time for me.

Happy New Year!

pescaphile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 AM

New years celebration...

Hey Pesca sounds like a valid reason for a party I will be heading up the hill mid month mayhaps we can get together for a few rounds of cheer. At least do some more damage to our hearing from the screeching wail of our Perfects!!! Haven't talked with you guys lately did you know I am "Boatless'', the Moonlight sold in less than a week of putting a for sale sign in the window. I should have held an auction.
Coming soon to pool near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.