boneclave a big success! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM

boneclave a big success!

Let's face it folks, it's not about the catching. If that's all we cared about, we'd all fish alone. There'd be no internet forums and there'd be no get togethers.
We all know it's much bigger than that. It's the comaraderie, the stories, the teaching, the learning and the sharing. It's passing the torch to the next generation and honoring the last generation. It's what seperates us from the animals. Otherwise we'd be just more preditors on the water.

From that point of view, there can be no doubt that Boneclave 03 was a smashing success. I have no idea who caught what or how many, but I know alot of fun was had. I know for myself and for Matt that we were very glad we came. I expect Matt to remember this weekend as fondly as I remember similar trips with my Dad. There aren't too many ways I would rather have spent my weekend.

Words are inadequate to express my graditude for the generosity that we all benifited from this weekend. The Clave Miester did a great job and went above and beyond to assure we all had a good experience. The boat owners were very patient and kind and also went above and beyond to welcome strangers and friends alike. The camp cooks and organizers kept us fed and things flowing smoothly so we all had a chance to chace the fish.

Yes indeed, a successful Clave and well worth the trip. Sign me up for next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 AM
resigned

Hey Mike. That sums it up very nicely! Glad to have met you and Matt. I'll look forward to seeing you again next year.

Phil
Old 08-26-2003, 08:29 PM

Good words Mike. I left the island with mixed feelings. Sad to see it end but glad to have been in the company of such fine fishermen and people. The Boneclave really brings out the best in us.
I'm not the type to get corny, but wow what a tradition we have.

Sidenotes:

Case- Thanks.
Pete from Calgary-"Who lives like us?" we'll hook up again. Good cigars too.
Mike Z.-Glad you came back!
Sully-We forgot to pass the hat for breakfast food. We'll get back to you on that.
Juro-I didn't freeze thanks to you.
All 3 Estes- "I love you guys" sniffle sniffle
Slinger- "got a light?"
Jim W- Great boat rides, my legs are soar still, thanks again for being an anchor for the Clave.
Cameo appearances by John R., Doug B., Grego and our friend Al D.
Our mascot Will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bone_bye.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2187  
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike, great job putting the essence of the get together into words. It was great to see father and son attend again this year. Last year we had Greg and Brandon. And we have Papa-G and the fabulous Estes every year. The first fish on Matt's own fly, very exciting! Not one he'll soon forget I'm sure.

Brian, special thanks for taking the bull by the horns that cold late winter day when we started the discussion for this event. Jim Whalen, once again you came through bigtime with the timely and rock-solid signup and organization tool we all used to get our act together. Terry, Sully you guys rock! I was late for brunch given the speed of my weed-wacker motor on the canoe and the big mac attack on the beach, but even the leftovers were top shelf. We could have all survived just on what the Estes brought! It would never be complete without you guys. Frenchcrk, as our most traveled attendee, was blown away by the generosity and camaraderie. Slinger, Jerry - those littlenecks were awesome! In fact everybody brought something important to the clave... their friendship, and that is really something. What a fantastic time, thanks to all and I look forward to our next event!

Outer limits? Rhodyfest?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:53 PM

HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR!

Can't say enough about the Clave. FANTASTIC people, food, new friends, renewed aquaintances, boats and captains, and GENUINE NEW ENGLAND welcoming!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:16 PM

Thanks Case for putting it together !

Jim thanks for the trip on your boat!

Juro thanks for having the site sponser the event.

Lefty thanks for nuttin. Just kidding. Thanks to you and Papa G helping me out with the breakfast.

Great to see everyone. Never did see Will though.

Last edited by ssully; 08-26-2003 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Dawn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn4190web.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2188  
Old 08-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Nick,
That pis is what I live for. Words cannot express to someone the feelings and emotions that wash over me when I see that incredible beginning of a new day. I just love the sight of the sun first thing in the morning.

Mike M.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:32 PM
President of CAC

Family committments kept me away...But MikeZ really made a nice statement....This is a great board and all the things that come from it....Special thanks to Case... and Juro (For putting this board together}
Old 08-27-2003, 04:58 PM

I had a great time at my 2nd boneclave. It's all sort of a blur of salt spary and food. We covered some serious water looking for the funny fish, as it turned out they were right outside the bay. I really enjoyed fishing with all the different people. The night time banter around camp was a riot.

I learned a lot and burned in some great memories.
A couple of things the short term memory managed to retain are -
-6' waves at the breachway on Friday evening :eyecrazy:
-The wife had the baby. :hehe:
-Bluefish blood is tough to get off the boat.
-According to Sully's mack pencil poper, Spanish Macks are canibalistic.
-I need to cast a lot further to nail any fork tails.
-The no wake zone extends well into the bay.
-There is some serious current off the Vineyard.
-Excellent coffee at that little shop in Menemsha.
-It's good to have a spin rod on board when the wind really honks.
-On the 3rd day when the salt had really started to build up on my legs the green heads didn't bite as much.
-After 4 days without running water, a shower is a mosted cherished event.

Case - Thanks a bunch for booking and organizing this trip. I didn't get a chance to kick into the camp fee collection, I guess I was shuttling back to the ramp and had Chuck's wallet with me. We'll catch up with you, whether you like it or not.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 PM

Love those inline images.
Thanks Sean.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:28 PM

It's all been said, All there is to do now is enjoy the memories. And I have a bunch, the least of which was those blueberry pancakes and then the peach cobbler. (no sweet tooth here! )
The only thing we forgot was the old indian routine for blood brothers, next time!
I can't express what a BLAST I had, and how great a feeling it was to watch this thing come together via the unselfishness of EVERYONE! "It Takes a Village"? Nope, just a bunch of clavers with the right attitude. And we got 'em.

Terry, you da man, Thank you for all you did, you MADE this thing!

JimW, can we do this again next week? You better get some rest, you put a serious effort in here as well and deserve a lot of credit for the success of BONECLAVE 2003!

Ssully, you da cook, FROM NOW ON!

and to the rest of you guys, for all you did AND for being there, it takes clavers to make a clave, and we did one h**L of a job! THANK YOU!
you too Will!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:20 PM
_

Thanks Meister Case and all who helped prepare, provide and participate. I had a great time and even managed to catch a couple fish. I'm still a "flyrod virgin" for hardtails, but at least I caught my first flyrod scup!

A few things I learned:

- When Juro runs towards breaking fish, follow Juro!

- Always bring a spare hat .

- Bluefish LOVE crystal minnows. Thanks for the ride Mike! You had us right on the fish a bunch of times -- if I was a better caster I might have hooked as many as you (yeah, right :hehe: ).

- Blackened bluefish and Spanish mackeral is delicious! Great job on the grill Larry, and thanks to the anglers who caught dinner!

- One owl can drive a man insane :eyecrazy: .

- It might be possible to drown while seated in a boat . Jim, now I know why you wear the goggles and rain gear! Oh well, I still had a blast chasing the birds even if we didn't get into any fish.

Thanks again everyone. I had a great time and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Q
Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 AM

I wish I were as eloquent as those that posted before me. This was my second Boneclave and it was everything I thought it would be (except catching hardtails). There were wonderful comrades, delicious food, beautiful sights, and fish to try and catch. All I can say is thanks to all because you are what make the Boneclave special beyond words.
Larry
Old 08-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

loose mood prevailed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	group.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2189  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.