Well, not fishing oriented .. as such but - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Well, not fishing oriented .. as such but

CIAK RISTORANTE LA LAMPARA - Piazza Don Mazzini, Monterosso al Mare (La Spezia) is my favorite 'ristorante' in the entire world. Last three times I went over to Europe it was with the specific intent to stay at least a week in Monterosso al Mare and eat, pig out, gefres (shows you what I remember of my high school German), what-ever at this man's table.

Food and wine of the Gods!!!

But, I'm well off the subject of this post. Ciak uses large earthware pots to make his sea food pasta. The pots come in several sizes, but the unique thing is they're set up to cook right on top of a gas range. Just under the lip at the top is a heavy copper wire to control expansion/contraction.

I've spent HOURS on the web trying to find someone who makes/sells this type of earthware pot. Anyone seen such a thing in a local store?

fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 07:33 PM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Fred you have too much time on you hands.

I am really getting worried about you.

Take two speyrods and call me in the morning.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:47 PM

Well ... I have been 'slack' in keeping up with my

"medication levels." Will usually renew the perscriptions when I start to get a bit out of ... how shall we say? ... "control."

But, I like your perscription!

fae
Old 08-25-2003, 04:53 PM

Whoa, before you take those meds, post it if you find where they do sell them. I treasure my food as much as the fish we pursue. By the way, what do you mean when you say he cooks seafood pasta in them? Does he cook the seafood separately in the pots, the pasta separately, or both at the same time? OK, enuf culinary stuff from here.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Very good question. It's taken me almost two years..

to perfect the dish. The sea food is cooked in the large bowl on top of a gas range (pasta in a seperate container) in a very thin light tamoto/parsley broth. (I've taken to "kicking this up a knotch" by putting in one mild Italian sausage.) Then when the sea food is almost ready, you transfer the pasta into the sea food broth for it's final couple of minutes of cooking. The broth is sucked up by the pasta ... What can I say!!!

Food group of the Gods. For 'sea food' I usually use tiger shrimp, mussles, clams, etc. It's as good as it sounds; but the "key," if i could only find one of these darned pots, rather than use large! fry pans/wok is the fireware bowl. Besides the cooking, the "presentation" in the bowl is an Italian Work of Art.

Should have added: for the rest of the meal you cut (Bless you Costco!) loaves of their Rosemary bread into halves, touch of good olive oil (want to get fancy: a tad of good Balsamic Vinegar (off on a rant here: Balsamic Vinegar is rated just like Italian wine, and costs accordingly. Five grades (first is just B-V, the other ones come with one to four stars. Higher the number the stars the longer it's been aged .. and you realllllly can tell the difference!!!)

But back to the bread topping: either Aseago (waaay off on the spelling here), Parm. or crumbled Blue Cheese done under the broiler. Tad of freash garlic doesn't hurt a bit.

A good green salad and the ladies ... well. lets just say.... 'you'll have your "own way."

Joan loves lots of company and I've got .. well, lets just say .. seveal BBQ's; no one leave our table hungry ... or sober?
fae/jee

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-25-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:46 PM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Fred

You are one lucky man

Old 08-25-2003, 08:00 PM

No twitting to Joan, whose a Very Good cook..

But if the 'letters' BBQ, or pasta is in the sentence....

I'm King of a small hill.
:hehe:
Old 08-25-2003, 11:28 PM

Is this cazuela anything like what you're looking for?

http://www.buyspain.com/cazuelas.htm

Also, I have a friend who is an importer of Mexican products. She might be able to find something on her next trip-- unlikely, but possible.

Find the pots and give with the recipe, El Commander! There are too many clams, mussels, and crabs out my front door. And the shrimp shop is only six minutes away.

KJ
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 AM

Fred

Fred,
Did you telephone the restaurant?
Bob
Old 08-26-2003, 07:14 AM

Keith/Bob, what makes these pots so 'special..'

is their ability to cook directly over a gas stove flame. Bowls are 10-15 inches wide at the rim and 6-8 inches deep (that part is pure memory only) with a heavy copper wire tightly wound just under the rim. Suspect this is to control expansion/contaction during cooking.

As the bowls are glazed inside and out they don't need to be 'pre-soaked' (at least I don't ever recall seeing it done at the restaraunt.) prior to use. As is the case with most clay/fired cooking pots.

Did hit the phone book looking for a restaraunt supply store; floored to find there isn't (per phone book anyway) a single one in all of southern Oregon (save for appliances).

The closest I've gotten to something that might work is the web site below. Haven't had a chance to call them and get the spec's on the pots.

http://www.nutierra.com/products/black_chamba.htm
Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 AM

I too am the pasta king in my house, but then, I'm Italian and she is not. Great description of the dish. The chamba pot looks like it would work. Gotta try this out (except I think I'll add basil and oregano to the parsley for seasoning, and maybe use hot italian sausage instead of mild). Hey, what the hell, we gotta load up on those carbs and that protein if we want to spend those long hours in cold water casting a rod.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:58 AM

Actually, due to the light flavor of the sea foods.

you've got to go very light on the spices. Otherwise they will totally overwelm the shell fish flavors ... which is the point of this dish. I was rather surprised to find that the orig. recpt. only used dry Parsley, and maybe a touch of salt.
\
fae
Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 PM

That's good to know. I assume the shell fish are cooked in the shells? What kind of pasta do you like with it, linguini? I'm leaving thursday for some fly fishing in Alaska but this is definitely going to be served when I get back.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:51 PM

Other than I peel the shrimp, everything else

is just dumped into the light broth and cools it's little heart out.

Pasta wise, you can use just about anything you want, but traditionally, the pasta will be spegt. No reason you couldn't use ling. as I frequently use Penne.

fae

Random thought here: if you're overwelmed with Zuk's, chop one up and toss it in. As the 'flavor' of Zuk's are quite 'nutral' it blends right in.

fae

Bob, just saw that I read your question wrong. Joan got lucky on getting a phone number (and maybe even a fax number!) for Chak's in Montorosso this weekend. Did a outstanding end-round on Google and got two solid hits with the info. God I wonder how much it will cost to make a 12,000 mile phone call???

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-26-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 PM

12,000 mile phone call.... Come on Fred we know your planning to wait until the fishing is good and send Joan to make sure its the right item.

Sounds like a good recipe.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 08-26-2003 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.