Had to happen sooner or later - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Had to happen sooner or later

Well I went up to my home away from home today to do an Albie recon and thought I would try the bass on the reef as well. One word describes the day........NADA! I got some shad first thing in Niantic and headed out to the reef. I missed the tide completely , thought I had more time but it was dead slack when I got out there. I did see some fish on top here and there but no takers. Tried free lining some shad for awhile but had nary a hit. I didn't even mark any fish today which is very discouraging but that's fishing. I went over to the Gulls and Sluiceway, then over to Fishers (south) and then over to Watch Hill and back and I tallied one 5-6 lb. bluefish all day. Went back to the reef to catch the beginning of the incoming. Had to go in and get some fresh live bait and headed back out. Got out to the reef and the tide took forever to get going. Met Frank and Kapt. today on the water. Nice to see you again Frank and also great to meet Kapt.. The Kapt. headed in to get some porgies and I stayed out on the reef to see if the tide would make up. Ended up calling it quits about 1:30 pm. I went over to Frank and Joe and gave them the shad I had to use and headed in. I knew that those big fish wouldn't stay around forever but it still is disappointing to not find anything at all. I think I was just to tired to really give it my all today, even dozed off once while I was drifting, now that's slow. No signs of Albies or Bonito but I did see a suspicious couple of splashes while I was on the reef this afternoon, may have been Bonito but can't say for sure. Thing's should really start heating up in the coming weeks, everything is in place for a great fall run.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Here fishy fishy

What the heck is this? Someone's clearly stolen Mike's password and is posting as him...

Mike - I've been enjoying your posts all summer long. I take no joy (ok, maybe just a little) that you have an occasional off day. Good luck w/ the funny fish over the coming weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Say it isn't so.......the master is losing his touch???:hehe: . Just a little fishing humor for you. I have been very humbled and kind of embarrassed by all of the attention but I guess it comes with the territory. I enjoy sharing my experience on the water and if it helps someone else out than even better. Today was definitely an off day to say the least but that's fishing, I am glad I was not chartering cause I would have died a slow death today. I did see some other guides out today and they had that look on their faces like I should have stayed in bed today. There were fish to be caught but not what I was looking for, if I wanted to I could have caught a ton of bluefish but Idon't really care to catch those pugilists of the ocean. They are the scourge of all flyfisherman and I have tried unsuccessfully to put the whammy on them during the fall run. Always seem to hookup with a rat bluefish right in the middle of an all out Albie blitz, and it is usually after you have spent hours searching for them. Then they cut you off and delay you from your mission. I wish a Bluefin death to all bluefish! Not really but they can be a royal pain in the arse when you are targeting other species.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:37 AM

The blues

Hit Long Sand Shoal around 8am loaded for bear with tackle.. fly / spin / meat sticks as well as Bunker, Mackeral, Squid, Killies and about 500 flies between my friend and I. Zippo at the Shoal. Scooted up to Black Point- not much going on. Hit the Gulls, Sluiceway, Gardeners, Shelter Island, Plum Gut, South Fishers, Carberus Shoals, Bartlettes Reef and Hatchets. Couldn't buy a fish on bait nor did I get a fluke ( was actually trying to target yesterday which Mike was so gracious as to give me an idea of where my best chances where ). Did see a pod of small to mid size Stripers up on top by Constellation Rock but they soon disappeared only to be replace with 100's upon 100's of 6-10lb blues. I mean they where everywhere and lazily feeding on small juvie bunker and herring. From that point on thats all we encountered .... school after school of blues. So much for the reports that Bluefish have been scarce around there. I did see some suspicous activity at the Race around 4pm... definately not blues and sure werent stripes, not shure what they where but they where moving as fast as hell and throwing up the occasional rooster tail of water. Who knows? Was to tired and sun burnt by then to give chase.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:36 PM

Talked to a guy who was out fishing around me the other day. He said I left about a 1/2 hour too soon. He got into them pretty good just after I left and another guy who was there fishing in my drift got 2 49" fish. Next time I am staying until the boat dies/sinks or the wife threatens divorce.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 08-23-2003, 01:05 AM

Only

Only reason I left was the Girly friend was calling me every 10 minutes wondering when I was coming home. Got home at 11:30pm : ( left the house @ 4:30am )

Maybe next time Ill see you out there, Ill be up again next week, I'll let you know what day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.