Anybody ever tried tying in the car. - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2003, 10:40 AM

Anybody ever tried tying in the car.

Going on a long car trip and I was thinking about trying to tie some flies in the minivan.

Not sure how I can secure my vise.

Anyone ever tried this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Fluff

Minivan equals folding/stacking table; the kind that hangs on a rack, four to the rack, or a small lap size wooden tying platform, as seen at shows or in magazines. Most vises have a 3/8" pedestal shank which accommodates a bench clamp for table edges. Some premade lap benches/tables have a recess for the pedestal base of your vise and a hole for just the pedestal or a side rail to clamp to.

You most likely thought of those things yourself. But, what's more the question - comfortable, efficient use of the space in the 'family value minivan' or just fixing the vise to an object to hold it?

You could always screw a couple nylon straps to a piece of plywood to hang off the back of one of the seats; fix a pvc pipe cap to the bottom of a piece of plywood to receive a disconnected pvc pedestal; make a pair of hangers to go between a window and it's gasket; those are just thoughts which came to mind while I was typing.

I just don't like tying while using the steering wheel as the support.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:52 PM
CantAnchorUs

It better be a smooth road!
Slinger
Old 08-19-2003, 08:31 AM

Idea

Take a piece of Plywood (1/2 inch ) attach two velcro straps on the bottom to fit your legs... wala.. instant table while you're in the passenger seat. Another idea ( didnt do this myself but would have saved me cleaning out the car ) use a hot glue gun to attach an old Tshirt or some other material to the plywood so it acts as a catch for the excess material. Attach it to the side closest to you and lay the material up on to your stomach. When finished tying just sweep the scraps onto the "bib". Ever notice how fly tying materials stick to clothes like a magnet? There ya have it ..... quick easy and you have the stuff laying around the house to make. If you dont want to spend any money at all... use old rope in place of velcro straps. Worked for me.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:07 PM
CND The Spey Underground

I drove around the Cape at warp speed with Juro last summer and noticed that he had his vice between the front seats of his truck. He claimed that when he was in a rush coming down from Boston that he tied a few sandeels while cruisin' - he is the Ninja Master

Still Living Large!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:07 AM

jimbojones, I have your answer I have 6 left they were $39.95
an are $25.00 ea they came w/ a clamp to attach to any arm chair an beach chair, slots for tools, an thread, an place to clamp ona vise,it is made out of OAK.great for sitting on the beach w/ the wife an still be able to tie, an does attract outher tiers, any way if your interested just e-mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fly catty.1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	2219  
Old 09-07-2003, 12:54 PM

when I'm at work,while out delivering,I sometimes tie between the drops.I have the vice clamped to a board across my legs and bits can also be laid on the board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.