Bamboo fly rod for stripers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2003, 01:55 PM

Bamboo fly rod for stripers

I will be building a 9' ,9-10wt bamboo rod for stripers.If anyone is interested is this ,please email or PM me for prices. This will be based on the Payne 400 taper,which is a 3 pce,2 tip rod.
Mike B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 05:24 AM

Any idea what a finished rod would weigh? Was this rod originally used as a salmon rod? Sounds like an interesting rod to fish with. I wonder what type of action it has. The way I have been breaking rods this year I wouldn't dare even touch one though.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:51 AM

Depending on the components, it will weigh around 7oz.Action will be medium
Mike B
Old 08-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just curious - what advantages, benefits would you get with cane for stripers?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:51 AM

The same as for trout.For me , it's the feeling of history,the old ways."Tradition" That's why I like flatwings and all natural flies. It's the connection to nature.Once you catch a fish on cane, nothing else compares.
Mike B
Old 08-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Interesting, and admirable. Yet I save my feelings for tradition for steelhead and atlantic salmon while my buddies the stripahz are the blitzing linebackers of the sea. Thugs who seek to do battle with their thick shoulders and pogie busting, crab grinding, eel slurping bucket mouths. And then you have the brother blue, who'd just as soon cut the prey in half than swallow it whole.

Although I am a traditionalist in that I prefer two-handed rods in the surf, a legacy that was ingrained into Scottish, British and Skandinavian angling hundreds of years before the first person ever cast a fly to a striper in the new world.

Viva la' difference!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:57 AM

You got it, Juro! Different strokes,LOL.
I will post some pics when the rod is done.
Mike B
Old 08-25-2003, 01:51 PM
President of CAC

What's the opinion here about an 8 foot 8 weight Bamboo Orvis Battenkill rod I bought 10 years ago...I wonder if I could try it in Saltwater.... I would like to get some opinions on what steps I MUST go though to protect it after every outing...OR... will that really be impossible...??????
Old 08-25-2003, 01:59 PM

First off, the rod is fine for light saltwater work.I think it would work very well during the worm hatch. Orvis rods are impregnated so they are very weather resistent. After each outing I would rinse the rod off, lightly oil the reel seat and ferrules and give the bamboo a light coat of Butchers wax. They were using bamboo in salt a loooong time before fiberglass & graphite. I have seen pics of Joe Brooks and company on the flats w/ Orvis bamboo rods fishing for bonefish.
Mike B
Old 08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Mike... yeah... I thought that Fiberglass came about as a result of looking for something with less care than bamboo...But then again.. they ( the banboo) were cheaper in those days for those who choose not to be as carefull as you suggest...good advice and that was what I was looking for.... How is the mounting business doing.... when I get a Tuna on a 14 weight it's coming to you....B.ut I don't think it will be a flat wing i will be using
Old 08-25-2003, 04:32 PM

Mounting has been good. Mike Mayo just dropped off his 54lber.What a HOG!! I hurt my back putting it in my freezer,LOL.LMK when you get that tuna, I'll take care of it for you!
Mike B.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:39 PM

I have been keeping quiet lately, only catching bass to about 12 lbs. I haven't seen any F/A's yet the time is almost here.
I just had to comment about bamboo rods. I have owned quite a few. My Heddon Riptide is about 53 years old. I have refinished it a few years ago and could fish it anytime. Bamboo for show graphite for fishing. The Riptide was one of the first flyrods that was made for saltwater, and has stainless snake guides. I even have the extra tip. I am not afraid to fish it, but you cannot beat today's technology, like watching TV on a black and white screen. A flyfisher for over 60 years.
ArtB
Old 08-25-2003, 09:19 PM
President of CAC

Art.. you are a historian... I wish we had more...Good points and ..you have a knowledge about all this stuff. ... I need to ask you about all this stuff... Can I take you out to have dinner with me... you choose the spot...I asked you about this a while ago... please e-mail me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.