Book worm hatch - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Book worm hatch

Caught the end of the worm hatch last night. Very hazy, hot , and humid. Good moon. Tons of worms but only a few bass. The water was just too warm. But still a good night.

The best part was that I was able to bring along my 17 y/o nephew. He's a great kid, but.... he is 17. Over the past few months he has made several dumb decisions. As a result, he's been in Uncle Jimmys' boot camp for the summer. Yesterday he expressed intrest in fly fishing. I jumped at the chance. I figure that if a kid has a great hobbie like fly fishing, he won't want to make any more dumb decisions.

I set the kid up with my Silver Label 9WT, an older real, an extra stripping basket, flys......you get the idea. I tried to instruct in the fine art of fly casting but due to the fact that my stroke looks like an abstract painting, him being 17, and me being his uncle, well....Lets just say that he's lucky he's family.

Here's the deal. I need some suggestions on books (see subject ) and/or videos on fly casting that may be aimed at some one his age.

I also need suggestions on books and/or videos on how a grumpy SOB like me can deal with a 17 year old.:eyecrazy:
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Jonesin...

Mel Krieger

Jimmy,

Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Flycasting" video is pretty good. I can't say I subscribe to all of his methods but it was a great starting point for a new caster which was not that long ago for me. As for books, Lefty's Modern Fly Casting Method and Advanced Fly Casting are both great manuals. If this becomes a long term thing, Lefty is usually at the Danbury show and there is no substitute for seeing him in action and maybe even getting a little personal instruction/ribbing if your ego can handle it.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Middle Aged Member

I have the Mel Krieger and Goerge Roberts tapes. I can't imagine a better casting instructional tool than the Roberts video. The Krieger video is pretty good also and has some fluff fishing segments for the less disciplined student. Haven't seen the Lefty tape but it has to be good.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:09 AM

basic:
Curtis Creek Manifesto - a classic tome emphasising fun in fishing, explaining the basics in an easy to read manner and Mad magazine like illustrations.

advanced:
Ed Mitchell's Fly Rodding the coast
or
Lou Tabory's Inshore Flyrodding

casting: Put him in a field or canoe in the middle of a lake and tell him to flail away - worked for me, kinda.

Other request:
remember when you were 17? Don't treat him like a kid, treat him like a man and expect him to act like one - tell him so.
Good luck & don't kill him - beat him up but don't kill him.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:48 AM

Funny thing, last week while in Maine I was out fishing with 3 17 year olds in my boat. One was my nephew. I handed him my 7 wt. and gave him some simple instruction. The thing that worked was when I resorted to the old 10 oclock 2 oclock scheme. Now I know Lefty Kreh says "Flycasting has nuttin to do with clocks" I have to disagree when it comes to a first timer. The other idea I had to get across was to wait and let the line stop rolling back (or forward ) before starting the next stroke. They have a tendency to go back and forth too fast before the line has settle out rolling.
Good luck

The other Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.