Big fish update w/flyrod content - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Big fish update w/flyrod content

Yes that is right we have been catching alot of big fish the last 3 weeks off of Niantic using live Hickory Shad. Now I have flogged the water to a froth trying to hook these monsters on the 12 wt. but to no avail. So when in Rome:hehe: . Fished yesterday and today, today I fished with a good friend of mine and we did pretty good. The fishing for the big girls was a little off from recent forays but still good. I took the biggest fish today at high 40 in. range and weighed in at an even 40 lbs. on the digital scale. Took maybe 8 big fish from 40 lbs. down to 15 lbs. But the reason I am posting is that we have had non-stop top water action on the ebb tide both days with bass blasting baby butterfish on top, when I saw this the big gear got stored and the wand came out. I rigged up with a floater and a crease fly and was into fish immediately. These fish have been small to mediums up to about 12-13 lbs. but man what fun. I never get tired of watching surface feeding bass and listening to the sounds they make when they come up and eat. Very cool stuff and I almost didn't want to leave but we had to get on the road so we left them still eating. Had some minor problems with guy's who don't know what they are doing in their boats but we just worked around them; including the guy that anchored up right in my drift. I just drifted right next to him like I had been doing and he had to cast to the other side of his boat where the fish weren't. Other than the minor hassles of boating it was good and alot of fun. Tuna hopefully will be here soon and we can all start posting pics of Albies and Bones soon.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

P.S. The fish in the pic was NOT caught on the fly, I only wish but the buggers only want MEATTTTTTTT!!!! That's OK because come fall they will smack anything and that is flyrod time, I will be looking for a new flyrod personal best this fall.

Last edited by Striper; 08-12-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 07:36 PM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Great report Mike!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:53 PM

John,
Thanks my friend. Are you looking forward to the Bone Clave??? Wish I could make it up there but it just isn't in the cards right now. I will be thinking of you guy's though. Where do you go for the clave??? Secret bone hideout??? Were there fish caught last year??? By the way has anyone heard from Capt. Ray Stachelek lately??? I have not seen any posts from him in a longtime and I have been meaning to give him a call but have been preoccupied. Let me know if you or anyone else has talked with him recently. I am going to give him a call tonight.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 08-13-2003, 01:55 AM

geeesh...mr. mike, your big fish reports are killing me.

i've been jonesin to break to 40 mark for too long now.

i mean, i've only been at this fishy game we play for a few years, but it's killing me!

Sean McD...wipe that smirk off your face
Old 08-13-2003, 05:26 AM

Great report Mike. I know you can get those big girls on a flyrod.
FishHawk :hehe:
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Mike,
Great report....I'll have to give you a buzz for some local knowledge next time I'm down to Mystic. I never seem to be able to find these fish down there and my family doubts that I ever catch fish.

As far as Boneclave, by far my favorite "event" of the year. Washburn Island, Waquoit Bay, Southside Cape Cod is where the camping is. From there, the whole Nantucket Sound is our oyster.

Just hoping there'll be some funny fish by then!

Good luck in the Sound, keep up the reports!

nick
Old 08-13-2003, 08:11 AM
NC Fly Guy

flyrods in the vicinity of bait anglers

Mike,
I have had this discussion with some of the old timers around here. At Cape Lookout Rock Jetty (I don't know if you have ever been down here) we have a great run of speckled trout fishing in November and December (fall around here). You will often see people fishing with jumbo live shrimp, you know who they are because they use big corks to suspend the shrimp off the bottom, or else blowfish will eat them, expensive way to feed blowfish. Anyways, the general consensus of opinion is that if you are fishing with lures and doing well, if a shrimp person moves in then you will cease catching fish. I was skeptical until it happened to me. I picked up and moved away from the shrimpers and continued to catch 3 1/2 pound specks on fly and jig.
I don't know if this info pertains to those huge striped beauties you are finding but I thought you might be able to read this and possibly make some kind of connection. The photo I want to see is of you holding a 40 plus striper that you stuck on fly. Wicked cool!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:46 AM

Question

Hi Mike, sounds like you're having quite a time w/ those cows. My question is how are you getting your hickories? I fish the S. shore of LI in the fall when we get the hickories back in force, but it is always harder to get them then the bass! We always manage a few, but it's a real chore. I usually use a large herring tree w/ a 007 @ the bottom. Any tips? Thx
Old 08-13-2003, 08:46 AM

Great report. Another beautiful fish!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:32 PM

Thank you everybody for the kind words.

#1. Nick- Give me a buzz and I can fill you in or maybe we can get together and do some scouting fishing together.

#2. Capt. Gordon- Believe me when I say it is not from lack of trying to get that 40+ on the wand. I have been hitting it real hard trying just have not hit it just right, but I will and you will all see the results when they happen. These fish are definitly catchable on the fly it is going to take a bit of ingenuity and tom-foolery to get them though and my buddy and I have some plans in the works. More to follow.

#3. MarkZ.- I have been catching the Hickories either on the flyrod or with the light spinning rod. On the flyrod I use a #6 hook tied like a clouser with sparse material and more flash. It is a tiny version of what I use for the bass. On the spinning rod I use several things and all are effective. I will use a very small jig with a chart. head and put a tiny curly tail grub on the end, the jigs like they use for crappie. The other day I stopped in to the bait shop on the way to the ramp and picked up some red/white shad darts and some real small shiny metal spoons made for shad, they kind of look like a tiny bunker spoon (willow leaf). What I did was tie the willow leaf blade thingy on the end and then tied a dropper loop and put the shad dart on above it. I caught shad 2 at a time with this rig. Shad are tough at times even where we get them. What I have found is that they do run a big schools and if you find the schools it is easy, but if they are spread out it can be difficult. The other important thing is that they also like to hang very close to the bottom especially during daytime hours, I have been marking them on the fishfinder and then just fish deep with the fly or jigs, this seems to always work. Good Luck!

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.