Have any of you Western guys seen this? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Fluff

Have any of you Western guys seen this?

http://msnbc.com/news/950829.asp?0cv=CB10&cp1=1

Hope nobody here's affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Fly chucker

Yikes! I guess you never really know, do you?
Old 08-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Chances are if you live in the NW you live in the shadows of a volcano.

Hell, I live in the shadows of 2 of the damn things. 1 changed the course of my favorite steelhead river from running into the Stillaguamish River to running into the Skagit River. I'm not complaining here. Saves me a lot of drive time to get to the steelhead.

Have any of you heard of the triple threat to the Puget Sound? It involves a large earthquake (which the Puget Sound is know for in the past). The earthquake causes a large tsunami that slams into the already demolished cities around the sound and then it triggers the eruption of Mt. Rainer which sends down it's huge lahars. Some scientists claim this is a recipe for the largest natural disaster known to man. God, I love the Northwest.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:03 PM

Think that's bad?

For a REAL disaster story, check out the Yellowstone Caldera. Based on past history, that baby should let go sometime between RIGHT NOW and the next 200,000 years. When it does, that probably is the end of the human race. That's the "end of the world" scenario.
No asteroids, no comets, just a little ol' caldera blowing its top, as it has been doing repeatedly, and to an approximate schedule.

And there's NOTHING we can do about it!

BobK
Old 08-12-2003, 12:43 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Well, just say it this way

I know ALL too well about these things. I was in 4th grade I do believe, my Dad had vacation, and we were gonna go on a weeklong trip hitting some trout and steelhead (when you could readily catch them year around) on the Toutle. We had pretty much packed when my Dad got a call from work. Since he was one of the lead operators on the machine, he was called in emergencies. He was being forced to run a machine after one of the other operators where injured. That was the week of May 18th, 1980. The spot we were fishing was anialated. Back then, they thought the mountain was gonna blow more towards the east, and had locked off most of Riffe Lake area/upper Cowlitz. If it wasn't for my Dad's "misfortune" of losing his vacation, chances are we wouldn't be here. Where we planned to fish was WELL away from the mountain, but still was wiped out. Worse of all, we floated it in our old pram. Would've been one wild ride while it lasted. In fact, we had fished it earlier in March on vacation.

Now, Mt Rainier. Have lived with it in view all my life. Grew up in the Puyallup Valley, and had a picture perfect view of it from my childhood home in Fife. Have relatives who live in it's shadow up in Orting and Eatonville. We have all known that there will be a time it could go. We just don't dwell on it. When it happens, it happens. It's part of life and nature.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:02 AM

ST, I see you also just missed the fun on

on Mt. St. Helen's. But for a splitting migrain I'd have been in the lower canyon ... another story for another time.

Found it interesting that the writer didn't bring up Mt. Baker to the north of Rainier. I was under the impression it was the far more 'active' of the two.

fae
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...nge.html#baker

I live in the shadows of Mt. Baker and it has the potential to seriously affect my life. Damn pesky volcanoes anyway.

Glacier Peak is another one which could some serious effects on NW Washington.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...l#glacier_peak

Last edited by KerryS; 08-12-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Recent Member

I live right between Mt St. Helens and Mt. Adams and stare right Mt. Hood ! I love it ! Another threat is the big crack out in the ocean just off the coast. they Say if there was a good size earth quake there it would flood the whole valley wiping out Portland ! Can you image what the Columbia would do ! I am about a block from the river on the Washington side. just gotta go with it. It's worth it living out here !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.