Rod questions ... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyfreak
Rod questions ...

I'm looking for a new setup.
going with the canyon 5...
but as far as rods....i just can't figure it out.
9wt or 10 ?
Sage XP - Winston XTR, IBIS - T&T Horizon ?
I cast the XTR, liked it a lot, it is super fast...
I cast the XP 10, not the 9, and liked it...
not sure if I could tell the difference between the two.
I casted the T&T 9 and 10, and they were both awesome.

Anyone have or casted the IBIS ?

General thought or opinions ?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Jonesin...

Fishability?

Flyfreak,

You may be way ahead of me on this, but have you considered how the rod will fish vs. cast when you are testing them. I am just as guilty as the next guy when I test rods. I pull the whole line off the reel and see which one throws a longer line. When I buy my next rod I am going to force myself to try the rod with multiple line weights, flies and try to find some serious wind so I can get a real feel of how the rod will perform when it counts. I will try short casts, long shots, check the leader to see if it is straighting etc... It may end up being the same rod but I wouldn't bet on it.

Sean

Last edited by Smcdermott; 08-11-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You're asking the wrong guy... all those rods are too stiff for my preferences. I like a rod that is fast without being stiff. Stiff hurts my arm, shoulder and elbow. Stiff does not give me any feedback when the line is in the air. Easy loading with breakneck recoil for super line speed is my favorite for single handed rods. Very useful on the flats when quick loading casting motions are key.

I take that back, for "high-gauge" two-handed overhead casting rods in the pounding surf, I like stiff flyrods when used with lines that deeply load the rod. Of course the two-handed stroke does not hurt the shoulder, elbow, wrist, etc. Might as well take advantage of the leverage two hands offers.

Good luck in your search and I hope some of the stiffer rod afficionados chime in... sure are a lot of awesome single-handed flyrods out there!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to flyfreak
Sean + Juro- very good points, thanks for posting.
I am fishing an ll bean 9-9 now, the guide series...which i believe is a loomis blank ...and it is a noodle, super slow. So I'm looking for a faster rod, with more backbone. I have no experience casting these stiff fast rods for long preiods of time. The XTR, the XP and the T&T all were super stiff and super fast. I only casted those rods with their matching line weights, 9 on 9 and 10 on 10. I guess maybe I should mix it up on each rod I cast, putting one line size up and down on each rod ?
What rod is fast, but not super stiff ?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:32 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Sage RPLXi has a soft tip with backbone that you can feel load and unload; although, I consider it fast. It is designed for the salt with oversize guides and is my "go to" rods for stripers. I have the XP in a smaller weight size that is a cannon, but does not have the loading/unloading feel that is comfortable for me like the RPLXi.

On this forum, probably every rod known to man is possessed by a member, and most, would be willing to let you test cast their prize. The top tiers, e.g. Sage, T&T, Winston, Scott & Loomis all make a broad spectrum of actions. Test as many as you can under fishing conditions before you pull the trigger.

One approach that Bill Dawson, Sage rep, uses is to have a client
blindly pickup a rod and cast it. Do it with up to six rods. Narrow the list to the two that you like and then make the decision after comparing the two. Many times the high priced rod is not the one of preference.

Simms
Old 08-11-2003, 08:05 PM
President of CAC

I have a large assortment and love my 9 wt. Winston BL5 and my 8 and 10 wt. Sage RPLXi...but my next rod might be from Harry Koons who is now selling the Temple Fork Titanium..I think Titanium which is endorsed by lafty Kreh... who has left Sage to go to Temple fork... not becasue he is endorsing them but because they are realistically priced..more than the regular Temple Forks but only $250!!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's interesting, I have been wondering what Lefty's move to TFO would produce. What are the endearing qualities of these new Titanium rods? What sets them apart?

I guess I should go drop in on our friend and sponsor Nauset Angler myself and find out!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Jonesin...

Ownership..

My understanding is that Lefty has some amount of equity in Temple Fork. Anyone know if it is true? If I had the name Lefty does I would certainly put it too good use. I can't imagine Sage could compete financially.

Sean
Old 08-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Thumbs up TFO

Checked out the new TFO rods today at a shop near home. Threw the new 9wt. Sweet! Can't beat the price. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:06 AM

I'm a Sage guy . Great rods, customer service and a quality product. Try casting these rods with one line up. It will help load these faster rods. T&T is also a great rod. One of the best when it comes to fit and finish. My next rod will be a Sage XP . As far as Temple Fork, heard they are a great product for the money. Lefty goes where the money is. He'll help push these rods to new hights because of his endorcement.
FishHawk
Old 08-12-2003, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Those are all certainly great rods, and I would be surprised if you didn't like each of them in the parking lot casting test.

But when it comes to fishing all day long, wth wind and flies of various sizes and weights, I am with Juro 100% on this-I will take a moderately fast, progressive loading rod hands down over the very fast tip action rods.

If you like the Horizon, check out the T & T Vector or the new Helix series rods. The Vectors are the easiest casting rods I have ever thrown. I can cast the Vector 11 all day long with no problems.

I would also check out the Lefty TiCr series rods. If you like them, you could buy the 9 AND the 10 and still have enough $$ left over for a cheap reel or a couple of fly lines.

Just my two cents, of course.....
Old 08-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Flats Rat

Chatted with Harry at Nausset Angler this past week-end and he's very impressed with the new Lefty TF series. I didn't dare try it out - I already own more 9' 9wts than the average fly shop
Old 08-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Pencil me in.....

The Temple Forks seems to be everywhere. Some OTFF shops seem to be carrying them also. This thread brought something to mind, though. A number of years ago my freshwater bass tournament partner and I bought a dozen of new on the market spinning rods for the new season. Their action changed significantly over the year to a very slow action due to fatigue. Granted, we put many hours on these rods but they were the first group of rods that we ever owned that fatigued over a season. We later found out that the company had switched from Loomis aftermarket blanks that year. So, to get to the question. Has anyone owned a flyrod whose action changed over the course of time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.