How to cream an otherwise good evening. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2003, 09:01 PM

How to cream an otherwise good evening.

BobMiester, JD and I are on the upper Rogue at ... steelhead are actually jumping out of the darned river taking airborne flys (we didn't do jack ).

So get home at 10:30pm, unload the Fishing Ford ... and drive a #4 2x double x hook into my finger. Interesting instructing the ER Doc's on how one extracts a barbed hook from the body. His 'knowledge' on the subject was from reading some article in a sports magazine.

Sheesh ... doubt the 'how to' will reduce my bill ... but I did trade him for 4 great hemostats.

fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 PM

Fred, Was that pre-single...

or post-single?
Bob
Old 08-09-2003, 12:01 AM

Hey Fred,

At least one of us did end the evening with a hook-up !

Ouch...Sorry big guy...Just too good to pass up.

Now about those extra hemos ?

Ohhhh...I hear verbal in-coming, and am heading for the bunker...

RB Wizenheimer
Old 08-09-2003, 06:34 AM

Right on!

Yeah, Bob, sounds like you got a HUGE one - and without even casting! Did he jump and really put up a valiant struggle, or give up without a fight?

We are all waiting for your blow-by-blow commentary! I understand he hooked himself!

Just joshin' you, Fred - hope you get the finger feeling better real soon.

Fish barbless! There are a LOT of advantages! :hehe:

BobK
Old 08-09-2003, 07:15 AM

An added 'danger' with single hander rods.

When I break down a rod for transport I'll usually place the hook in the stripping guide on a 3 piece rod, or one higer on a 4 section rod. But with short(er) rods ... using a two fly set up ... this will put one of the flys right by the reel or handle.

And I hadn't even had a single single at the time ... It was poured just not down my throat at the time. Walk into house and tell Joan I need a third hand. What for?

Turned a light shade of green when I showed her my "problem." But she got the fly detached from the leader and when obvious that this bugger was going to come out the hard way drove me to the ER.

Not a recommended way to end your evening.
fae
Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 AM

Been there

The doctor in ER did not understand the barb theory and tried to pull it straight out, I believe I questioned his parantage.

Another time whilst fishing the Brora my father landed a grilse, he was carrying it up the bank with his fingers up through the gills the fish slipped and there was my father attached to one of the other hooks of the treble with his fingers through the gills. Me rolling about laughing did not help matters. It was an difficult situation we eventually got the hook free from the grilse but had to visit the Doctor to free my father. When the lady GP saw the she commented " what a nice fly" her husband is a keen fisherman.

Fred, I hope the fly wasn't damaged and your finger recovers.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 08-09-2003, 09:30 AM

Ouch, hope it heals quick Fred.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:50 AM

There aren't many fishermen, I'll bet, who don't have a story or two about setting the hook on themselves.

My worst experience came when fishing for winter blackmouth (chinook salmon). I landed a fish caught on a two-hook mooching leader and reached down to quiet it.

Of course, one of the two hooks was flying around, being separated and all by three inches of leader. I grabbed the fish by the gill plates using an over-the-head grip and started to reach for the pliers when the salmon jumped out of my grip, and of course the loose hook sank into the tip of my index finger while the other hook remained firmly embedded in the jaw of the blackmouth, which was very excited about being out of the water.

I got to play with this situation just long enough to appreciate it. Fortunately, the hook hadn't sunk in past the barb and the point cut itself out of my finger. Thank you, sharp hooks!

Since that time, I bonk every fish I intend to keep as soon as it hits the deck.

The good news is that unless the doc had to cut the hook out of your finger, you'll heal quickly and won't really notice your war wound much after a day or two.

Keith
Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 AM

Well, other that a coule of nasty looking

healing holes in my finger .. adventure appears to be over. Was pleased this didn't slow down my casting ability on Sunday.

Same results (sans hook in the bod) as Thrursday evening. Fish all over the place and between Andre D, JD Jones and my self I think we had one one (ever so briefly) a tug or two and lots of 'dinks.'

Fish have lock jaw!!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You knew this was coming... one word...

BARBLESS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.