A Couple Nice Dollies - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 11:25 PM

A Couple Nice Dollies

I caught these two big boys a month ago on poppers.

Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Unhappy Uh Oh

Where da' pics?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:45 AM

I dunno. I did the "Browse" button and attached two small jpegs Sean made for me but they didn't show up.

I think I'll just stick with fishing.

Leland.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 PM
LBFF Mojo

Here they are. Will have to stop by and show you how to do it one of these days:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leland_1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2109  
Old 07-12-2003, 12:24 PM
LBFF Mojo

and another...nice fish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leland_2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2110  
Old 07-12-2003, 07:06 PM

I don't mean to be an asshole but is it not true that dollys/bulltrout are considered a species at risk in Washington and are not to be targeted except in a few chosen fisheries. Otherwise nice fish.

Last edited by BWO; 07-15-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Red face A good way

to avoid being an A$$hole is to avoid actions that cause others to consider you an A$$hole. A good way to start is to ask yourself if the things you say or type will be considered offensive by those who read them before expressing them.

Yes, there are populations of Dollys that are considered endangered, as there are of Steelhead, Salmon and just about every other gamefish we might consider targeting on a fly in the pacific northwest. There are also populations of each that are considered healthy enough to support C&R (and even harvest) fisheries.

An example are the Dollys on the Upper Skagit. Even though they don't currently allow a harvest on them (a recent and enlightened move by our DFW), the #s of large Dollys is really impressive and indicate a very healthy population. No, this is not my speculation. It came from Curt Kraemer, at the time the Resident Biologist for the WDFW and also leader of an ongoing study of Dolly Varden trout in this watershed.

Yes, you can argue that if you can't harvest them then you shouldn't fish for them. That would effectively eliminate many of the C&R fisheries for wild steelhead on the Skagit, Sauk, and other rivers still open.

Or you can A$$ume that he was targeting them illegally. But, with no evidence to the contrary, I usually give anglers the benefit of the doubt.

My .02,

DS
Old 07-15-2003, 12:51 AM

Leland,

not much else to say but NICE! fishies.

andre
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am for the ESA status for dolly/bull trout statewide. I think it's a good idea that we actually have protection for these magnificent native fish in WA. I also think it's working.

The quantity and quality of the incidental catches of dollies while steelhead fishing or while coho/cutthroat fishing as Leland was (on a popper no less!) is a testimonial to this.

Therefore I hope we have all taken Rich's advice and gotten our 2004-2005 Sportfishing Rule Proposal Forms in no later than July 18th! We can do this for wild steelhead too.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Salt Bulls

Just found this thread- thought I'd add some comments as I love those native char! First- Nice fish Leyland! Awesome to see the photos. I would hope we can see C&R salt fishery for them in Puget Sound. Similar rules to the current SRC would open a great spring/early summer fishery. That said they are illegal to target in the salt, so I can see how the photos (2x) might rub some the wrong way- similar to photo of any native fish landed and photo in closed waters. I would never question Leyland's ethics, just an observation.

Juro- I don't agree with ESA listing for sea run bull trout in our Puget Sound. They are a very different fish then the threatened fluvial/river dwelling bull trout of inland waters. Currently they are very healthy, compared to most other salmonids with a open season. I would think many species would be ahead of our SRB (sea run bulls) in line for regulated protection- steelhead first in line. I agree with the current basin by basin management approach.

DoubleSpey- not sure if you're referring to the Upper Skag in BC or the WA. In WA the Skagit and Sauk currently have a 2 over 20" bag limit. Raising the limit from 14" in 93(?) seems to have improved their lot immensely (Thanks to Curt Kraemer). It bums me out to see the photos of bait caught/killed 6-10lb bulls in the Sauk. I would vote for C&R protection on the Skagit basin, as long as it doesn't lead to a premature full closure of the fishery.

A note about fishing them in the salt. These fish are notorious basin jumpers. Fish tagged the Frasar have been recorded in the Skagit. Fish in the Snohomish have been in the Skagit as well. This summer, one tagged fish was recorded up north sound, down to the Ballard locks area, and recently up in the Stilliguamish. So you never know if that salt chuck Skagit Bay fish is headed into a healthy spawning population, or a struggling population, or even establishing a new population (i.e. SF Sky). Something to consider.

I fished the recent upriver run of the north Sound fish. One recorded going 18 miles in 12 hours up the Skagit. Had fun fishing them- but these tired fish deserve a quick fight and release. Chrome bright and full of fight, they are a true magnificent native fly fishing challenge. They will be spawning shortly, I hope the water levels don't set them up for a bad year. They'll drop back in October, and I look forward to seeing them (I don't fish them upriver during spawning run and I would advocate closure of upriver water to retention).

Leyland- let's go fishing! I'll show you my spot if you show me yours

- NailKnot

PS- I'm no expert on Char. Info passed along here is primarily from private emails with regional bios and experts, mixed with my own observations and thoughts.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:37 PM

Nailknot,

I'll have to tell you in all honesty that I fish that popper of mine all year long almost exclusively. I fish it for searun cutts and salmon. I've even caught Lings and flounder on the damn thing. Anyway, I was searching for cutts when the dollies slammed me. So we took some pics. Later, a WDFW officer came by and told me where I can go catch even more dollies! Go figure.

Leland.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:47 PM

I know...

I know ya do Leyland. I didn't mean to imply anything. Just for consistencies sake is all. I was more interested in the other topics than the current rules on salt dollies. I hope we see that change in next year's cycle. I've fished your popper too (or my homemade version of it), along with some gurglers and the like. Hoping to become more adept at surface fishing for dollies in the river. Maybe see you out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.