Mushmouth - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
CantAnchorUs

Mushmouth

Can someone hook me up with a url for Jamie Boyle`s Mushmouth, I want to tie some up for the clave but can`t find a recipe.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Jonesin...

Dave Skok

Steve,

I believe Jaime Boyle developed the Bunny Fly and David Skok is the orginator of the Mushmouth. I will forward you the link in a PM so I don't violate any advertising rules.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can also contact Capt. Ray Stachelek who ties an awesome angel hair fly, essentially the same thing.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Fly chucker

Steve, if you have Tom Gilmore's Albacore book, the recipe is there as one of the many featured flies.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Wanna be striper bum

I fish lots of Mushies and I love them.

They seem to work very well for me on the North Shore in the Fall.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:45 PM

Ray's Angel hair fly works for me. I think it swims better then the high tie. From what I understand Ray was the pioneer of using all angel hair. I like to see credit given where it's due.

Ray gave an excellent instructional seminar at the show, I got some great tips. He's a great guy and I'm sure if you contacted him at castaflycharters@cs.com he would be willing to share some info. Tying instructions can be found Here on his site
Old 08-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Pencil me in.....

Angel Hair Bunker patterns were tied by a number of SWE guides
Old 08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Hmmm.

I don't high tie my Mushies and I don't think that Skok does either. The mushie isn't a bad swimmer. However, I sort of cripple the swimming ability of my Mushies because I put plenty of softex on the first clump of angel hair or super hair (I use super hair in the mid body of my mushies) that you tie in on the top of the hook shank.

The softex reduces fouling and allows me to use the same fly on schoolie after schoolie after schoolie.

I am not knocking Ray's angel hair flies. They look great and I have never fished one. I shy away from angel hair for fear of fouling. Maybe my fears are unwarranted.

-Mike
Old 08-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Here's Skok's flyHere's Skok's fly developed in 1999

Here's Ray's Here's Ray's developed in 1997

They look remarkably similar to me

It just gets my goat when someone takes credit for someone else's work. What if I took John's pattern and called it Jim's crabby old apple crab. Just a pet peeve I guess or maybe I'm unusually crabby tonight.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 AM
CantAnchorUs

I was just looking for another weapon for the arsenal. I know Ray quite well and have been tying his Angels for a couple of years, we even have our second charter of the season with him in Sept. for Albies. Jim, if you remember I used Ray`s Angels to get FA at Quonny during last years get togather, and you brought a few to the Plymouth MBA show as a raffel. I`m allways on the look out for another pattern to suppliment the hundreds of flies I always carry.
Just a little story to illustrate how derainged I get; A couple of winters ago I decided that I needed a chest pack to replace my old vest, I spent the whole show season finding the right one, most were too small. I bought it for $60. April finally rolled around and we headed out for some "industrial fishing". When I got my pack on I knew I was in trouble. It was stuffed with 8 full sized boxes, leaders, tippet, spare spools, various tools and God knows what else. I looked like Mae West wearing a Mae West. I couldn`t put my arms down and when I tried to get to the water I couldn`t see to walk, once in the water I couldn`t cast. Ray thought it was hilarious. I sold it to the first person with $30. So of course I need another pattern, 2 dozen in each of 4 colors
Slinger
Old 08-07-2003, 09:32 AM

Slinger,
I've seen some of your fly arsenal, very impressive. I was a bit cranky last night, pissed off at my engine but that's a long story that I don't want to get into right now.

I hope the Skok's link helped you out. If you're going to bring all your flies to BC-2003 does that mean you are towing a barge?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 PM

What it's worth:

The original Angel Hair flies were designed and developed in the late fall of 1997. Shortly afterwards in the space of three months, thirty-two hold over winter stripers were caught one day in February all using this pattern and material. This all happened in Cape Cod estuaries. Fly tying stores had not yet stocked the Angel Hair material, which was solely distributed by Umpqua at the time.

These newly designed flies were than shown and tied in the fly tying theater at the National Fly Rod & Reel and Wingshooting Show in Providence. That was 1998, when it was held at the newly constructed Convention Center. That was the final and only year the Fly Rod & Reel show was held in Providence. It had previously exhibited in Marlboro MA. The now running Fly Fishing Show soon replaced the venue.

Dave Skok watched me demonstrate this material during the Providence Show that year. He showed interest in the material and techniques. Several years later Dave of course won praise for winning the Martha’s Vineyard Derby using his Mushmouth pattern of Angel Hair.

In the very beginning these flies were on display at The Saltwater Edge store in Newport. One of the former partners used to use them for Tuna trips around Newport and Block Island. That lasted some two years before I started my own chartering business. The fly became my business logo so I best removed them from the store in the interest of good relations.
Umpqua now is licenced to sell my flies.

The latest Angel Deer’est pattern in now featured in the summer edition of Fly Tyer’s Magazine.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Salmo Scout

Capt Ray

Thanks for the history - I always like to see the story set straight. Lord knows we get enough twists and turns when stories are set forth even with the best of intentions.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 PM

The clouser minnow and the deceiver both utilize bucktail. Does that make them the same fly? Just because similar materials are used, does not mean the flies are remotely close. If you are looking at the instructions for the Mushmouth online, they are NOT the correct tying instructions.

Skoks Mushmouth is different in so many ways. The use of the stiffener down the middle prevents fouling while still allowing good motion in the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.