Monomoy Whiners on TV Again... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 08:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Monomoy Whiners on TV Again...

They had more greedy area folks whining about access to the refuge for commercial purposes on FOX TV last night. I wouldn't doubt if they didn't call them just to use the media to whine on camera!

They wanted IN on the refuge shuttle business. Screw that I say!

IMHO, three companies buzzing over the refuge waters all day, all summer is enough! The last thing we need is more. If I had my way we'd limit the number of pleasure craft as well, it can get ridiculous out there at times. I can't imagine how it would be like if commercial shuttle use was a free-for-all!

As if the whining about parking on the causeway isn't enough, it seemed they were targeting our friends at Rip Ryder as well. Man, capitalism can get ugly.

It ain't broke, don't fix it. We should do everything possible to protect the treasure we have on our coast, and that sure as heck isn't going to come from increased access. Let those who have a proven track record of doing it right out there.

They also highlighted the fact that Rip Ryder is for sale, and listed the price at 1.3m.

OK - who's in with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Fluff

Was the interview with a short woman, short hair, blue sweater, kinda foggy conditions looking back onto Morris Island from the Causeway, conducted by Mike Beaudet???

If so, that piece was shot the morning we had that short stint on South Beach with Striblue, jfbasser, FredA, Simms, Dave the Irish Guy, CSJ60, Myself, et al. That was a while ago; John Furze and I watched them set up and did our best to stay out of the camera shots. The woman being interviewed acted like the Spokesperson for the Whiners; Furze also said they (Morris Island Crybabies) were worse about driving and speeding around down there than ANY occasional users - no reason not to believe it.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Flats Rat

In an ideal world all land within one mile of the high tide mark would be in the hands of the people rather than a handful of ungrateful, selfish individuals who by some accident of birth or otherwise find themselves priviledged to own such propety. As I understand it the the refuge is a National resource - not their private property so they don't enjoy any more rights or priviledges than the rest of us -and neither should they.

My .02c
Old 08-05-2003, 03:17 PM
I remember sometimes...,

It had to happen again. Don't know when it will end, access is a real problem, whether it is on the causeway, town landings or on many of the public lands out west. Folks try to buy their piece of paradise and then exclude those that still want to use the public properties and places that make those areas so special. I wish I had seen the Fox News Report. We are going to have to stay vigalent to protect the access to Morris Island and Monomy.
I think they (Fox)should do a special on how many of our tax dollars went into building and maintaining the sea wall on Morris Island, for the benefit of those multi-million dollar homes.
We've been facing the a similar situation on many of the Western National Forests, when small private landholders lock the gates on roads and essentially "tie up" huge tracks of National Forests.
I'm on Keiths' side!
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Juro.
Hope to see you guys again in Sept.
Cheers,
DK
Old 08-05-2003, 03:40 PM

Well said Adrian.

I get the evil eye from the upper-crusties that live in the mansion next to HQ every time I drive up there. Admiral ed has some interesting suggestions on how to deal with such conflicts :hehe:
Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just to be clear, the particular problem sensationalized in the FOX TV clip was that according to them, there is too much exclusivity about running shuttle businesses on the refuge. In their typical news-desperate tabloid view, three businesses with multiple boats running non-stop all day is simply not enough.

Some whiny guy was crying about how there are only three businesses running (non-stop I might add) on the refuge system and he whined about how he wanted in on it. Well, I want to be the king of a tropical island surrounded with bonefish flats, and perhaps a field tester in Kamchatka for steelhead gear, I wanna fish the Forks pool on the Grande Cascapedia, waah, waaah.

He made it sound as if he was unable to take people fishing on Monomoy, what he meant was he was unable to drop them off and go get others. As a captain, he can take people fishing on Monomoy all day long - that's not restricted. I found the whole clip deceiving and totally ignorant of the needs of the refuge itself, only greed rearing it's ugly head again.

I was especially turned off by the way they made it sound like it was some kind of conspiracy. I believe that the refuge can't handle much more than it already gets. The amount of boat traffic is max'ed out as it is, and there is no restriction for access by boat, only for $$ enterprises wanting to run shuttles to the federal reserve $$. Three is plenty.

I thought the owner of Stage Harbor, one of the 3 license holders, sold out big time by saying "I don't know why there aren't more businesses running on the refuge" shrugging his shoulders.

What is most important in all of this is that the best interest of the refuge comes first. Opening commercial shuttle licenses to use the refuge only serves human greed.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Just Plain Nuts

It is obvious that the only thing this guy wants is to grab the all mighty dollar. I agree with Juro. This guy is in the " I Want" stage of life. I have a 4 year old who is in the same stage. I too want what I can't have. Who the hell doesn't? But as my dear old dad used to say. PEOPLE IN HELL WANT ICE WATER.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:21 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Lightbulb I can see it now...

Lined up and down the beach horizon to horizon...jet skiis for hire...hot dawg vendors plying their trade...umbrellas/beach chairs for rent by the hour...The Army Corp of Engineers with a plan to dam those pesky channels and control that annoying tide...Coney Island here we come!
Progress at any cost?!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
President of CAC

I can't even comment on it!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:56 AM

That's all we need is another shuttle. Monomoy is the Beaverkill of Saltwater.
Time to find new secret water.
FishHawk
Old 08-06-2003, 06:27 AM

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." Y. Berra (or a paraphrase thereof)
Old 08-06-2003, 01:06 PM

This is a world wide problem. Profits from the outdoors. I read somewhere it was once free. Capitalism = the good, the bad and the ugly.

FishHawk,
Ya can run but you can't hide for long.

Fish on anyway.
OC
Old 08-06-2003, 04:47 PM
President of CAC

The thing that gets me is that things may change at the Refuge...for the better for fishermen... but what bothers me most is that Keith has been given trouble by Outermost...who by the way does nothing for the schools of things like the Big brother....Also... he has been threatened by some of the guides, one in particular threatened him with Physical harm... fortunatly for him Keith did not slap on the cuffs being a Harwich Police officer in the off season. Keith has a great relationship with the powers that be at the refuge...If the beach goers are dropped from being allowed on the beach ,which is just my thought.... it will help the area...Fishermen, birders, seal cruises, ....Educational things and sport.... I am talking about the shuttle servise to the beach... and another thing... There is a great story that I will not share on this public forum... about Outermost, Orvis, the Orvis Guides, slips, Parking. Past owner of Orvis.....all prompted by matter began by Outermost.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:40 PM

Where were you in 1990?

All I have to say is, where were all these local business owners in 1990, when the opportunity was all over the front page of the Chatham Chronicle. I was 75 miles away at Bridgewater State working on my degree. The locals all knew about the problems the fish and wildlife was having with the "WATER TAXI" company.
I can't help I had balls big enough to ask the fish and wildlife service about getting a chance to replace him.
By the way how come no one wanted my business back in the early 90's, when I was siked to carry 5 people in one day. Back then $100 on a weekend was huge. No one was willing to sit at the bottom of the stairs then, to pay the dues. But now that I have worked my ass off to make myself a reputable business, I am suppose to turn it over to some whinning little Chathamite.
You can figure out my response to that. What bothers me even more is not one person has ever had the guts to come to me in person and ask me one question. I always find my name in the paper or on the news, when some refuge neighbor has a bitch or when the Beachcomber and his little friends get jealous and greedy, they run to the media or their friends on the board of selectmen. Well, maybe now it is time for a response of my own.
Maybe I should look at a public forum to tell my side of the story.
The threats over the phone,or in the store, the dirty politics with business' and selectmen. The assault and Battery on the admiral's wife in the refuge parking lot by one of the Morris Island neighbors, or the hired convict to impersonate a Federal officer. Oh, the list goes on, but you know what, I have more chacter and respect for myself, than to go cry to a news station(if thats what you want to call FoxNews).

You want my business?--- Whipe away your tears little boy, so you can see to write me the check.

Capt Keith Lincoln
Old 08-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Recent Member

Angry

well said keith, you got my support, i think you provide a great service at a great price, as for your whiny new friend, he can piss up a tree...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.