Redington bought by Sage - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Pullin' Thread

Redington bought by Sage

Just read a news item about Sage buying Redington Tackle and moving the rod and reel operations to Bainbridge, WA. by August 11th. Supposedly the high end Redington rods are to be phased out and the lower priced rods are to stay in production to "fill an identified niche" for mass market rods, or so says Sage.

I wonder if this means that Redington will become the St. Croix of Sage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Middle Aged Member

That su...stinks.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:14 PM

I'd much rather see Sage own them than Orvis. I wonder what this does to the existing warranty on my waders and rods. It would be a shame if they had to replace a rod with an RPLXI

Seems to me Sage is a pretty good company, in it for the long haul. I'd rather see them own Reddington than just put them out of biz.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Middle Aged Member

My comment had nothing to do with the merits of either company. More to do with loss of choices. I love my 10 wgt DFR. If it were to break and I couldn't get a direct replacement I'd be I may go into depression.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Pullin' Thread

JimW,

Sage only bought the rod and reel operations, not the clothing, wader, vest, wading shoe, or fly line portion. Sage said that the Redington brand would bring a needed "mass market" product line that will compliment the Sage rod line. The head of R&D for Redington is also moving to Brainbridge Island (home of Sage), WA to run the Redington operations, which are going to be consolidated at the Sage rod works in Brainbridge Island.

It sounds like Sage is planning on maintaining Redington only for its lower priced rods and for its reels. It would appear that the high end Redingtons will be phased out of production. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sage rebrands some of the high end Redingtons as Sages.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 AM

Here's an article on the topic - http://www.flyfisherman.com/northwest/sageredington/

Last edited by Doug Wright; 08-12-2003 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:41 AM

I doubt that Sage would rebrand the high end Redingtons. Sage already has a bunch of high end lines. I think that the top of the pyramid is pretty crowded. Winston is cutting two thirds of their high end, Loomis is dropping GLX, Scott I think is dropping STS. Sage recognizes that the bottom of the pile is where the market is growing, hence the purchase of Redington (for short money I hear). My opinion only, I'm probably wrong on most of this.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
I doubt that Sage would rebrand the high end Redingtons. Sage already has a bunch of high end lines. I think that the top of the pyramid is pretty crowded. Winston is cutting two thirds of their high end, Loomis is dropping GLX, Scott I think is dropping STS. Sage recognizes that the bottom of the pile is where the market is growing, hence the purchase of Redington (for short money I hear). My opinion only, I'm probably wrong on most of this.
Are Loomis coming out with a new line to replace the GLX range or is their GLX range simply being discontinued.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 AM

GUYS, point of interest, just in case you didn't know, loomis was sold an number of years back to SHAMINO,
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Old 09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The GLX's are still around...they are just renaming them, tweaking them a tad, changing the blank color and adding some wicked components.

They are doing this to the lighter line weights ala what they did the heavier line weights last year (now the Crosscurrent).

...or so that is how I understand it.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Just returned from the Denver fly show, and here is what G. Loomis is doing. First, GLX is a signature graphite for Loomis because it is the only one that has been designed for fishing, as opposed to other graphite fabrics that have seen first use in other industries such as aerospace. The company is using GLX in the "high speed" rods in the new Streamdancer series. The Metolius line of Streamdancer rods are blends of different proprietary graphites that make each model individual.

There's even a 13'6" 5/6 spey rod that would be a real sweetheart if I could ever learn to spey cast.

GLX is also found in the Classic series of two-piece rods as well as the Salmon & Steehead series where you'll find most of the spey rods. The Crosscurrent line is no more, but you'll find those rods in other series-- for the most part. Loomis has dropped models; however, that's because they've added 26 more models in the Streamdancer series alone.

The Phase One series is where the GL2 fly rods can be found, and it's my understanding that this is the line that will be sold in stores that handle general tackle.

Loomis is devoting more of its energy to fly rods than has been the case in a loooong time, and the company will do even more in the future.

For switch hitters, there is a line of bobber or float rods coming this year that is supposed to cover the range of applications.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.