Big Stripers on Fly? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Jonesin...

Big Stripers on Fly?

The largest fish I have caught on a fly rod to date is about 20lbs so I am curious. As of late I have read a few posts about large stripers, and the inability to land a huge fish on the fly rod. I understand the difficulty in getting them to take a fly but what I do not understand is why a skilled angler couldn't land one once hooked. You regularly hear of large tarpon and more often now SBFT being brought to the hand. If you have a stout rod isn't it reasonable to assume you have a shot at landing a 50lb+ fish?

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 06:55 PM

Tarpon are chased down if they get out too far. Either with the motor or on the pole. BFT...definitely chased down.
As for big stripers from shore...? I don't know. I haven't caught a huge one from shore, but I think that with 20# tippet, and a good reel, it shouldn't be much harder than on a spinning set up with 20# test line. There is alot of power in the butt of a flyrod. Kenny Abrahms just landed a HUGE striper on the fly.
So, what is the limitation presented with fly gear? The reels have equal drags and capacity. If you are fighting from the butt, the rod length isn't relevant. The ultimate strength of the line is the same(unless you fish with 20#+). I think that the flyline dragging through the water would even help to tire the fish.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:57 PM
President of CAC

Sean..the large one can be had... you just have to be patient as you play them...Yes... you have the problem of whether you are over playing them but there is no other way... to get them in... I have relaeased a number of big fish and have no idea whether they survived or not but they still had a good tail kick!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:06 PM

I believe it's very possible, however, I'm not the authority on this one. I think when most consider flyfishing for Stripers we grab an 8,9 or at most a 10wt set up and head for our favorite spot. But to land a monster you need the 12 or 13wt or more and most of us don't target the large fish. Sure, we are allways dreaming of the day but most times severly undergunned.
If you want it you gotta pay, put your time in and target just that which eludes all but the very luckiest, smartest, sleepyest and pigheadedest.
Who do you know that would target a monster with that commitment and stick to it? He would be a better fisherperson than I!
But YES, with the right weapon, I'm sure it can be done!:eyecrazy:
Old 08-02-2003, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
I'm glad you brought this up, because every time I read one of those, " I could never have landed this cow on a fly rod," threads, it drives me nuts.

Several East coast stripers over 40 have been landed from the beach, including that beauty on the cover of Tabory's first book which was the biggest I have been able to confirm at 48lbs.

The thing is, ( As someone else already suggested,) when you are targeting fish over 30 lbs, it is best to leave the 9-weights at home. I think Tabory told me he took the 48 on an 11-weight, ( And he did not take it far from where many of you guys fish.

Think small tarpon gear for big stripers, 10 Kg tippet and no pansy-reels.

The way the striper population is currently going, I believe there will be some 40's and maybe even 50's caught in the next few years from the beach, but probably not on 8 or 9-weights.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Sean,
You can land Big Bass on the fly, it has been done and will continue to be done. Gear up dramatically for these fish though as you cannot prepare for what you are going to be in for when you hook one of these freight trains with fins. The strength involved with one the real big fish is mind numbing to say the least. I have chosen not to target those real big fish with fly tackle as i don't believe that with any fly tackle you are going to be able to successfully release a 40+ lb. bass.

2handthesalt

Quote:
I'm glad you brought this up, because every time I read one of those, " I could never have landed this cow on a fly rod," threads, it drives me nuts.
I assume that you are referring to me and my remarks regarding my big fish last week. I must qualify my statement by saying that I don't believe that I could have landed that fish on fly tackle and successfully released the fish. I may be wrong and it would not be the first time but I just think to target these huge fish with fly tackle is kind of like taking a slingshot to a gun fight. I must also say that I have limited experience with the real heavy fly tackle and it may be up to the task of landing a really big bass, but it better have enough back bone to handle a ripping current as well as a 45-50 bass that is hell bent on taking you to the cleaners. I have a friend here in CT. who landed a 49 lb. bass 3 years ago on the fly and it took him 10 min. to land the fish on a 10 wt. he was fishing from the shore at night and the water was very shallow.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 08-02-2003, 06:06 PM
President of CAC

Mike..that was what I was trying to say that if you can hook one from the beach you will not have the need for lifting power as you would from a boat...plus most of the care in landing such a fish, as with any, even a good 30- 36 incher is to make the surf your tool as well... but care must be taken inbetween waves as the back flow can break off even the smallest fish... The benefit of a big fish in the surf is all it sometimes takes is one or two waves to bring it in since because of it's weight and size it hits the beach bottom faster and will usually stay there even with the back flow... A smaller fish will go back and forth, until you pick the right wave to pull it up far enough to grab and release it... I am not saying to drag it all the way up the beach, but just far enough for you to "safely" handle the fish.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Recent Member

if you want to target BIG bass with a flyrod, i would suggest a 10# minimum....if your shore bound, like myself, i would suggest sandy beaches like those of the national seashore on the cape, rocks and barnacles are not your friend.....late october, early morning dropping tide, large eel fly fished between the sandbars.....it can be and is done every year....by me even
Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 AM

Asside from the fact that 10kg tippet is typically the maximum strength that fly fishing gear is designed for, what is the limmitation that fly fishers face that hard tackle guys don't?
Not trying to fight, but I'm really not clear on this.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Recent Member

leverage, and its less of an issue from the surf, in my opinion anyway....
Old 08-03-2003, 12:01 PM
President of CAC

I agree with medic3..lifting power or leverage..but as I have opined... you really don't need it as much in the surf. When fishing from a boat off South beach I will bring my 12 wt... for the lifting power... on the same fish that I would use the 10 weight from shore... that is not to say the 10 is not appropriate for a boat...it is.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 PM

If you can pull a 40-60lb SBFT off the bottom with a 12wt there shold be no reason why you can't do it with a striper of the same size! No?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:38 PM
President of CAC

Case... right ...again! Also, why risk breaking a fine 10 wt casting tool?

Last edited by striblue; 08-03-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Recent Member

Mike,

I heard about that bass in CT. I believe he was fishing a river mouth at night. Do you know what fly was used?

Thanks,

Jenks
Old 08-03-2003, 01:10 PM

I know of at least one guy that fishes the Cape Cod canal with a 12wt. He's been know to catch 30+lb fish in that current. I have no doubt that large fish can be landed from shore on the fly rod. Released after being brought to hand, I'm not sure about that. My current problem is getting the large fish to take my fly so I'll worry about the fight when it comes. Seems that most of the big fish my way are being taken on bait in deep water. I don't think the true monsters get that way chasing silversides around. I'm going to try for some big boys this week on a larger pattern. I've been fishing an area on the outgoing and the last two times out I had a fish well over the 3' mark follow and not take the fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.