So has your trout season been so far? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 11:55 PM

So has your trout season been so far?

Lets hear from different regions.
I am concentrating on the Bow River in Alberta and have yet to get to the Elk or the Crowsnest or the Livingstone.
The Bow has been in prime shape all season yielding very good Rainbows and Browns in the 18 to 24 inch "football" size.
I hear from friends that the Elk in BC is also doing very well with 40+ fish days all in the 12 to 18 inch size range for natural Cutties. Had a few great days on BC lake in the Kamloops area but missed out on the traveller sedge hatch and was too late for the prime chironomid time.

So how are my "memory bound" fisheries in the east doing, like Vt. & NH and upstate NY?

What about the other BC trout fisheries?

Anyone been doing the Montana trout thing lately? Had a few great days on Duck lake & other reservation lakes but no time to do the Missourri or or other Bozeman area rivers.

FEA What about the Oregonian trout I keep hearing about?

Anyone/anywhere else ?
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 06:52 AM

For an Oregon update,

quick, Pete - check out

www flyanglersonline com

scroll down, and you will see a Central Oregon Fish-In (or similar).

Click on it, and read the good article. Do it before Sun. night, though, as they will publish the new articles at midnight.

BobK

{link edited by moderator}

Last edited by John Desjardins; 08-08-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2003, 09:45 AM

Mines been poor due to lack of time on the water. I did have a good day on the Colorado a couple of weeks ago but this years been almost all warmwater fishing.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Flats Rat

Same for me - after some early season fun on the Housatonic and Croton rivers lousy weather in June put the mockers on things. July has been almost all warmwater but in generall temps have continued to fall to almost acceptable levels with the unsettled weather pattern this year. My fingers are crossed for the white fly hatch which should begin in a couple of weeks. If cold fronts continue to keep temps at a reasonable level this could be a banner year!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Fly chucker

I have been trout fishing only once this year, and I blame that on getting the boat back in April. I should get out there a few more times, especially in September, but for me it's been all warmwater or saltwater (which ain't so bad ).
Old 08-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Recent Member

How has the tout fishin been?

Here in NWO (Thunder Bay area), doing very well since beginning of June for small creek brookies. Several around 10 to 11 inch and a couple 12+". Lately every second day seems to be rain and every other day hot, water levels are up and down like a yo-yo. I find in times like this that unless I visit the out of the way, faithful trout holes, then the fishing is tougher.
Going out this evening, I may hit a larger Superior river and see what'll happen there, havn't totally decided yet. -yaffle
Old 08-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
As normal, I have not done much but it seems that every year I do more and more.

But everytime I do go, I have a great time. Whether it be mountain stream trout, the cliche ridden Yak or a World Class trout stream such as the Deschutes.

Speaking of the Deschutes, how many trout can do this (nearly spool) to you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galvan.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2137  
Old 08-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
...and here that trout is. I have had few steelhead kick my ass like that 20"+ Redside did!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redsidemod.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2138  
Old 08-02-2003, 09:10 AM
_

I think my title pretty much sums it up for me :hehe:

I did try for trout a few times in the spring (without success) but it's been mostly warmwater and a couple saltwater trips since then.

Q

(edit: My title was "What's a trout?" when I posted this.)

Last edited by Quentin; 08-19-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 PM

VERY GOOD!

Good afternoon,
After getting skunked on an early spring trip to Frenchglen,( Thunderstorms, downpours, snowmelt in the Steens ) I have had very good and consistant outings. My last trip to the upper Clack ( 8/2/03 ) netted 2-10" and 1-8" Rainbows, but rises in water temps here have slowed the action a bit. Now that they have a grip on the Clark fire, I will be heading south to the Umpqua and Rouge valleys as well as North East and South East Oregon. Hope to see you on the river!
Deerhawk
Old 08-08-2003, 12:21 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
fishing in the NE was good until resently because of many T-storms the waterlevel is up once againwas using spin tackle on the Housie for bass and caught trout the farmington was doing pretty good also

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 PM

Had a very good spring season fishing the ne/central/western mass watersheds. Would have been a lot better if USGEN had removed its head from its a** long enough to give the FF'ers some low water on the Deerfield. Guess the whitewater business is good this year.

Capped it off with an excellent trip to Central PA to fish the fabled limestone creeks of Cumberland county. Nothing beats wild browns in skinny water. Can't wait to get back. Have some great pics from Spring Creek...wish I could figure out how to post them here...

Looking forward to the crsip mornings and new england foliage of fall trout fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.